Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2012, 09:32   #76

Boat: too many
Re: Is Family Cruising Dead ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
That's what I'm counting on. I'm still 20 years from retirement, but hopefully when I'm ready to buy my retirement world cruiser....the timing will be just right and I'll get quite the bang for my buck.
So when I kick the bucket along with my fellow baby boomers and my family has zero interest in sailing, you, 20 years down the road will benefit. Wish I was 20 years younger because I have a hunch you both are correct, when the boomers set their final sheet, the next generation will see a glut of great boats cheap.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 05:18   #77

Boat: home built,48' try
Send a message via Skype™ to sailor sage
Re: Is Family Cruising Dead ?

Sailor sage call sign: MP00013521 skype: sage.million
FAMILIES LIVING AND WORKING AT SEA an old blog
greetings the S/V salvor111 was decommissioned and parts sold off in hawaii last year. I was in Thailand last year, I spent time with cruising families that raft up in groups of several boats, I spent four days as shipwright in this group. every night the women would congregate to one of the larger boats to cook for the rat fleet and do women things, another boat had all the children doing home Schooling, on another boat men where doing the smoking cigars? and drinking what ever they made in the bilge. on the vessel I was staying, a heated debate was going on about how unsafe it was for families to sail around america with children. and all the legal things that plague cruising families. long story short, I think there is your answer why you don't see families cruising around america. these sailing families are very happy. the children are very strong souls.at day break some of the boats head out to find food, seek day employment as I do on the high seas.
this Family is now landlocked in Panama city, Panama. we are doing the backpacking thing and it sucks! my ten year daughter wants on the ocean. we are seeking an old hull to rebuild and live along the canal. a couple of sailing families have told me you can anchor out for free here indefinitely. you only have to pay $5 a day to hit the docks with your skiff. tourist visas are six months, renewing with no questions, Spanish is a must, there are many americans coming and going here. I have found remote bays north of here,but have not been able to get up there except by satellite view.
I am setting up a family cruising site for Panama and Colombia soon please follow the million family on this bog
sailor sage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, family