Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2010, 07:39   #286

Boat: Herreshoff_Marco Polo 55_Majesty
Nice Link and thanks Del. It explains a lot of the details of installing and using this system. I also saw another system like this, but that one used a topside hydraulic drill to do the down under work.

The main thing is that the anchor system is simple, fast and works. It holds promise for those of us who are looking for a simple mooring system we could actually install ourselves - almost anywhere.

I also want to introduce something, but not to confuse, I will relate in new post.,
jimships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 08:15   #287

Boat: O'Day 28
yeah baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimships View Post
The main thing is that the anchor system is simple, fast and works. It holds promise for those of us who are looking for a simple mooring system we could actually install ourselves - almost anywhere.
How about one of you smarter guys coming up with a portable screw deal driven by pressurized air from a scuba cylinder? And please send the first one to me.

Thankee
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 08:17   #288

Boat: HiStar, Sundeck, 48 feet--
The power to TAX- is the power to destroy-

In 2004, Florida ranked as the top state for boat registrations with over
946,000 boats registered. The recreational boating industry is a substantial contributor to the nation’s economy with expenditures on recreational marine products and services of over $37 billion in 2005 alone. In addition, the Florida Legislature recently determined that the annual economic impact of boating on the state of Florida was $14 billion.

Purpose of this post is to support the general premise- that the sweat, strain, bruises, and hard earned money that BOATIN demands….. deserves protection.

That any politician who grabs for the brass of a cruising vessel is eating the seed corn and is betraying his office and his country’s best interest.

That like the Interstate Highways—Vessels should be able to access ports without burdensome costs—
………………..The Greeks discovered 3,000 years ago, as a matter of philosophy—Guests are Welcome.

Challenge to the OZ Cruising Community—Discover the name of the bureaucrat who proposed the tax on vessels-Publish the name and agency name on this forum—or in the local newspaper, letters to the editor.
Ah, the Sea..." Emily D.
LexLocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 14:09   #289

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
You're meyermm's mum, aren't you? Go on... admitt it.
You can tell us. We won't take it out on him...
Isn't she that cool girl out of that Aussie wedding movie?
Old 21-12-2010, 04:02   #290

You can make this simple. The hardest issue if the helix anchor and that is not that hard as there are makers of these. What you want is a air driven square drive 1" impact ratchet acting on a 1" square shaft that connects to the head of the helix anchor. Easy.

Or since you like air...make a suction pile anchor like the big rig boys use offshore. air to vacuum is easy the main thing is the control valve at the bottom. It needs to operate in both directions...suction and pressure to release the pile.
Old 21-12-2010, 04:12   #291

well said Lex...its always about money, thus this new sub-topic. There is strength in numbers. There is strength in money. There is strength in God.

I suggest an association for cruising. A quick review of the existing associations I found here National Boating Organizations suggests none have the cruising and weekend sailing enthusiast in mind. We need representation as Lex so elequently pointed out and we all agree that none of them are doing a good job of promoting the needs of cruisers on the state and national level.

Any takers?

be developed which would over arch all recreational boating...including cruising.
Old 21-12-2010, 04:14   #292

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Quote:
You can make this simple. The hardest issue if the helix anchor and that is not that hard as there are makers of these. What you want is a air driven square drive 1" impact ratchet acting on a 1" square shaft that connects to the head of the helix anchor. Easy.

Or since you like air...make a suction pile anchor like the big rig boys use offshore. air to vacuum is easy the main thing is the control valve at the bottom. It needs to operate in both directions...suction and pressure to release the pile.
Can You be so kind and enlighten me - what Your post #290 have in common with the topic of this thread? I can not catch up...
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 04:16   #293

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I suggest an association for cruising.
Something like this - I believe?
myCA

Old 21-12-2010, 04:28   #294

Sorry Double Whisky,

290 was in reply to 287 on an air powered anchor system. My fault.
Old 21-12-2010, 04:32   #295

Quote:
Nice Link and thanks Del. It explains a lot of the details of installing and using this system. I also saw another system like this, but that one used a topside hydraulic drill to do the down under work. The main thing is that the anchor system is simple, fast and works. It holds promise for those of us who are looking for a simple mooring system we could actually install ourselves - almost anywhere.
Simple? That's not what I took from that site. All I saw was high $$ & complications. Even they say: "To install a screw requires time and effort, and has been a hit-and-miss experience...one requires a team of experienced divers, plenty of weight, and determination!"

At out club, we put down our own moorings for just a few hundred dollars, and they last around 6 years before they need to be hauled and repaired with a half day's welding. All that's needed are 6 lengths of steel rod, 20mm diameter and 3 metres long: about $25 each. We have a clever club-made contraption that bends loops in the ends of the rods, which are then joined together - three for each end. The old train wheel rims used for weights are bought at scrap metal price - a couple each end usually suffices. Laying them from our mooring barge is just half a morning's work.

And being an industrial area, we've got no precious grasses to worry about

The screw down moorings may be an option for some... but not around here
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 04:32   #296

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sorry Double Whisky,

290 was in reply to 287 on an air powered anchor system. My fault.
Not a problem - I was sure I missed something

And regarding Cruising Association - You are right. I believe most of the countries lack one.
May be Brits example is the way to follow?
Old 21-12-2010, 04:36   #297

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
At out club, we put down our own moorings for just a few hundred dollars, and they last around 6 years before they need to be hauled and repaired with a half day's welding. All that's needed are 6 lengths of steel rod, 20mm diameter and 3 metres long: about $25 each. We have a clever conraption that bends loops in the ends of the rods, which are then joined together - three for each end. The old train wheel rims used for weights are bought at scrap metal price - a couple each end usually suffices. Laying them from our mooring barge is just half a morning's work.

And being an industrial area, we've got no precious grasses to worry about

The screw down moorings may be an option for some... but not around here
Just a thought - may be it will be better to open new thread for mooring solutions. It's interesting - REALLY - and may be more people will be interested in it probably, but they can not find this discussion under the name of this thread.
Old 21-12-2010, 07:38   #298

Thanks Double Whisky for the perspective.

I agree that weights are easier in most respects and a more permanent solution. The guy was looking for something a bit more portable....I assume for the use of diving or quick changed.
Old 21-12-2010, 08:34   #299

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Is there a list of countries that are the most annoying to check in and out of???
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 08:53   #300

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
hello Still can't do upside down
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote