Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-12-2010, 16:40   #61

Boat: deboated
As long as your wooden masts do not contain termites you would not have a problem. On the hand like most things in life there is cost why should we pay to have your mast inspected. This may come as a surprise but workers are paid in this country unlike the rest of the world. Vintage cars cost more to own and run but those that like them are prepared to pay that extra. You like wooden masts but it seems you want us to pay for your tastes in mast material. I am sure US citizens would just love me to bring a boat load of Cane Toads over and set them loose in the States to erradicate your frog population and everything else they consume and destroy. This has gone completely off topic but it does show the way many think that they have a right to just go anywhere and do anything regardless of the consequences and not be held accountable.
Zeehag - No if it means our country is going to be less well off after your visit we don't want you no matter how much you are willing or unwilling to pay.

Old 08-12-2010, 16:43   #62
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
You don't know why it costs $20 to get into a nightclub and $5 per beer? It's because the scenery is so sweet. And, I've heard something about nut's being tickled but can't attest to that part
Damn... n I thought it was about sad desperate guys getting of watching phoney sex with a Stainless Steel Pole.... ahhh... thats why those bars have sprung up Dutch Side... lol.
Its that lust for Stainless Steel....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 16:44   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
There was no shortage of cruisers in BC last season.

Most nations embrace tourism for the money it brings. It's interesting to note the difference in the tourism of cruisers and that of resort users. My observation is that cruisers spend less but inject it more directly into the economy. If you stay at a four star all inclusive, the choice of many travellers, your dollar goes to someone who is likely very wealthy and powerful. They distribute to their employess and suppliers and, by taxation, the government. Cruisers are likely shopping at the markets, eating and being entertained at local restaurants and bars, and possibly using local services for repairs. Cruisers are probably there for a longer period of time.

In Mexico I found the villagers, in places used by cruisers, to love them and the vitality they gave to the community. Regulation was more likely to reflect the needs of the local resorts then cruisers since those dollars were in the hands of the powerful.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 16:48   #64
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
As long as your wooden masts do not contain termites you would not have a problem. On the hand like most things in life there is cost why should we pay to have your mast inspected. This may come as a surprise but workers are paid in this country unlike the rest of the world. Vintage cars cost more to own and run but those that like them are prepared to pay that extra. You like wooden masts but it seems you want us to pay for your tastes in mast material. I am sure US citizens would just love me to bring a boat load of Cane Toads over and set them loose in the States to erradicate your frog population and everything else they consume and destroy. This has gone completely off topic but it does show the way many think that they have a right to just go anywhere and do anything regardless of the consequences and not be held accountable.
Zeehag - No if it means our country is going to be less well off after your visit we don't want you no matter how much you are willing or unwilling to pay.
Zee... roughly translated that means we've done a great job of screwing things up by ourselves thank you....
No outside assistance required

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 17:07   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Maybe the ones we are missing out on would not have done much for the local marine industry anyway. .... Maybe the ones not visiting basicly just can't afford to and its a financial decision. Just like driving a Chev rather than a Mercedes and then telling everyone that you heard those Merc's are unreliable so I am going to avoid them.
Wow...if this is the general attitude of Aussie's (who I always considered a kindred spirit of us Canadians), you can guarantee that tourism will take a hit, and not only those from cruisers.

Having gone through a gut wrenching year and a bit helping my municipality develop a tourism master plan, I feel comfortable in suggesting that when a jurisdiction makes it easy and comfortable for tourist to come to it, everyone wins.

Short-sighted restrictions (high fees, overbearing Custom's policies and acts, etc.) are not conducive to building a longterm tourism strategy.

And of course environmental issues need to be addressed, that is non-debatable. That does not excuse punitive actions or fees.
Old 08-12-2010, 17:17   #66

Boat: CT54
Quote:
As long as your wooden masts do not contain termites you would not have a problem.
You would not want to add to the already 350 species of termites that now exist happily in Australia
Besides you could bring some of those Australian termites back to your own country.
Old 08-12-2010, 17:34   #67

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Wow...if this is the general attitude of Aussie's (who I always considered a kindred spirit of us Canadians), you can guarantee that tourism will take a hit, and not only those from cruisers.

Having gone through a gut wrenching year and a bit helping my municipality develop a tourism master plan, I feel comfortable in suggesting that when a jurisdiction makes it easy and comfortable for tourist to come to it, everyone wins.

Short-sighted restrictions (high fees, overbearing Custom's policies and acts, etc.) are not conducive to building a longterm tourism strategy.

And of course environmental issues need to be addressed, that is non-debatable. That does not excuse punitive actions or fees.
NO IT'S NOT!!! We are a fun loving bunch of larrikins so come on over.

I had a hard time trying not to highlight your whole post!

I don't know who peed on Meyermm's cornflakes but please don't take him as typical.

Unfortunately he reminds me of an ex-wife who felt that if I was having a good time, somehow it must be costing her, even if she couldn't work out where. Guess what... I'm still having a good time, just not with her. And no doubt she still manages to rain on everyone else's parade... and wonders why the fun times are always someplace else...

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 17:44   #68
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
I would add it is not just the money that puts visitors off (anywhere), it's uncertainty. and aggravation.

Obviously what the Aussies do or don't do is up to them - and Cruisers no doubt overall no great $$$ value, but these things tend to be indicative of a wider approach. nothing consequence free.

Over here we killed our tourism as a major industry, mainly from gold plating regulation wrapped around chasing the higher value tourists.
Old 08-12-2010, 17:49   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
You would not want to add to the already 350 species of termites that now exist happily in Australia
Besides you could bring some of those Australian termites back to your own country.
Yeah... makes us look pretty damn pathetic doesn't it.

Jackie, I'd assume you have sailed your teak laden beauty between USA and the Caribbean a few times. Do the US govt authorities give you any kind of a hard time or charge unreasonable fees?

Vic

Old 08-12-2010, 17:51   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
LOL... I thought you were just throwing out the 350 number.

Then, thinking Google is my friend, I did a quick search.

Guess what? A couple of web sites say there are about 350 species of termites in Australia!

BUT... not all eat wood.

Customs (and MeyerMM) only have to worry about these species:

Coptotermes acinaciformis - Coptotermes frenchi - Coptotermes lacteus - Heterotermes ferox - Mastotermes darwiniensis - Nasutitermes exitiosus - Nasutitermes walkeri - Schedorhinotermes intermedius

Don't ask me to translate, I only know how to copy and paste
Old 08-12-2010, 17:55   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
You don't know why it costs $20 to get into a nightclub and $5 per beer? It's because the scenery is so sweet. And, I've heard something about nut's being tickled but can't attest to that part

Aaaaah.... 'tis a sad day when you find yourself having to pay for what the rest of us still enjoy free

Old 08-12-2010, 18:04   #72

Quote:
LOL... I thought you were just throwing out the 350 number.

Then, thinking Google is my friend, I did a quick search.

Guess what? A couple of web sites say there are about 350 species of termites in Australia!

BUT... not all eat wood.

Customs (and MeyerMM) only have to worry about these species:

Coptotermes acinaciformis - Coptotermes frenchi - Coptotermes lacteus - Heterotermes ferox - Mastotermes darwiniensis - Nasutitermes exitiosus - Nasutitermes walkeri - Schedorhinotermes intermedius

Don't ask me to translate, I only know how to copy and paste
Yeah... we get a lot coming in through our northern border on leaky old boats, which we of course destroy if they haven't destroyed them themselves. Then we feed 'em, house 'em, clothe 'em, give 'em free health care, and pay for lawyers for them so they can tell us what mean, selfish, greedy bastards we are... some poor honest applicant living in a squalid refugee camp gets pushed further back in the queue..

Just sayin'...

Old 08-12-2010, 18:12   #73

Quote:
To put it a little more bluntly after reading the above the only cruisers we are missing out on are the ones looking to bludge on our country. Taking all they can get free and doing there level best not to pay. Polluting the waters because they refuse to spend the money on holding tanks etc. So frankly I am glad they are avoiding us our gain their loss.
I really don't know where you get this jaundiced/killjoy view.

Because cruisers want to get value for their $ doesn't mean they don't want to spend it. They just want to get something in return. And the more we get here the more they will have a good time, and the more they will spend. Everybody wins.

Old 08-12-2010, 18:22   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day All,

Our observation is that cruisers are indeed shunning Australia. The biggest single factor we've heard is the extortionate fees charged by AQIS. As of this past week, the fee for their "services" if you arrive in the period of 8 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday is AUD 330. For all other times it is a cool 600!! In most ports of entry it is not an option to anchor in quarantine and await the lower cost times. This fee is for an inspection that may take as little as 30 minutes. (It is interesting to note that in Oz the minimum wage is $569 per week, and that for budget cruisers it represents around a months expense).

The current obsession with termites can add significantly to these costs. The inspection by trained sniffer dog costs upwards of 1000 dollars, and mitigation if termites are discovered can go to astronomical heights -- tens of thousands of dollars. As noted above, this new ruling applies to all vessels that they regard as "high risk" (meaning that it has wood somewhere in it's structure or furniture), regardless of their national origin, if they have been in what they consider risky areas for over three months. These risky areas include essentially all the Pacific Islands.

It is also interesting to note that other countries manage to conduct quarantine inspections for little or no cost to the cruiser. This includes the neighboring nation of New Zealand, who also have strict quarantine rules and an even "greener" reputation than Australia.

Ann and I have been in and out of Australia nearly every year since 1992. We clearly like it here ... but are reconsidering our cruising and potential residence options for the future. To us it is not at all surprising that our fellow cruisers are avoiding this country. This is sad for them... they are missing out on a great place and great people... and it is sad for folks in the marine support industries here in Oz who are already suffering enough from the general downturn.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Church Point, NSW, Oz southbound
Listen to this man!
Jim and Ann have more sea miles under their belts than the rest of this thread put together, most likely.

And most of it in the Pacific and Australia. There is no greater voice of experience here.

Old 08-12-2010, 18:55   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
To put it a little more bluntly after reading the above the only cruisers we are missing out on are the ones looking to bludge on our country. Taking all they can get free and doing there level best not to pay. Polluting the waters because they refuse to spend the money on holding tanks etc. So frankly I am glad they are avoiding us our gain their loss.
Wow, Meyermm... sounds like you are confusing visiting cruisers with native Australian blodgers. We must have been doing things wrong, because in all the many years we've cruised to and in Australia, we've not managed to get all the stuff for free that you are worrying about us enjoying. What the hell are you talking about, Mate?

As visitors, we are not eligible for any free stuff that I'm aware of... but, in our case we do manage to spend a good deal of imported money, pay taxes (GST on most everything, stamp duty on many transactions, income tax on some investments here), contribute to local charities at times, help our neighbors when needed and in general behave much like a local. Oh yeah, we also imported our previous boat, paying a lot of duty and tax on it, and then bought an Australian boat.

There are likely a few cruisers who arrive with the idea of living on the cheap... but I seem to see a lot of Aussies in boats doing the same things in other countries. I think that you, meyer, are way out of line in your attitude.

Jim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: