Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2010, 09:20   #301

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Is there a list of countries that are the most annoying to check in and out of???
I do believe this has more to do with the officers on border/custom duties, than with countries. May be except baksheesh countries...
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 09:32   #302
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Is there a list of countries that are the most annoying to check in and out of???
LOL..... any country that does not do it as fast or the way you'd like them too...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 10:18   #303
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:

Based on years of CF reading I would say ALL of them since no one wants to have to check-in.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2010, 14:37   #304
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Would somebody tell all the Med sailors cruising is on the decline. I might then finally get the odd Marina berth from time to time

Dave
Old 21-12-2010, 14:44   #305
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Would somebody tell all the Med sailors cruising is on the decline. I might then finally get the odd Marina berth from time to time

Dave
Ok... I know its bitchy... 70% never leave the dock more than 10 days a year if that... its the floating condo/cottage.. minimum legal hassle and more secure than buying a house.. impresses hell outa the folks back home..
A boat at homes one thing... but a liveaboard in holidayville.... thats something

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 21-12-2010, 15:12   #306
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61

Ok... I know its bitchy... 70% never leave the dock more than 10 days a year if that... its the floating condo/cottage.. minimum legal hassle and more secure than buying a house.. impresses hell outa the folks back home..
A boat at homes one thing... but a liveaboard in holidayville.... thats something
Why does that mean they arnt cruisers during that 10 days when they do leave the dock. I don't get the drift of your argument.

Dave
Old 21-12-2010, 15:24   #307
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

A factual comment does not an arguement make.... I was based in Andalucia and the Balearics for over 3yrs and we were on the move 9mths of the year between Gib and Minorca... get to know a few folks and a lot of boats... lots rarely unfurled the sails when they went out... chug to the bay drop the hook for the w/end and back to their berth..
if the ratio's were reversed and more live aboard folk moved about you'd maybe start finding berths here and there...

Could it be thats what the OP had in mind... they're no longer cruising boats... just houseboats

Old 21-12-2010, 21:39   #308

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Quote:
hello Still can't do upside down
And totally of topic Flip just type in the top and it flips
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 03:58   #309

Boat: O'Day 28
Gotta define cruising

I'd say the essence is being on the move most of the time. The rest is boating. And that's fine until what the boating traffic will bear prices/shuts out the travelers due to the cost or the lack of facilities, or even whether you can anchor within a reasonable distance from shore access.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:10   #310

Boat: HiStar, Sundeck, 48 feet--
The Essence-

Thought a lot about a definition of “cruising”—Herr Capitan Bruce (Van Sant) has an interesting approach, in his book “The Thornless Path….”—he begins with Globetrotter through Camper- Mingler-Island Hopper to Passage Maker.

Great Fun, and True—my meager addition…. is to simplify—-

Cruising is to understand the present and future weather for a radius of 100 miles and to survive-- the vessel variations….with style-

A contrast for understanding…would be coal mining (underground)-a couple miles under the hill, with low coal and bad top—like your Vessel in shoal water…it is mind over matter-fear will rule you-or you will rule it.
Like the passage though a rocky inlet -course, speed of action and direction-brings the satisfying state of mind…. Cruising.

Conclusion- Distrust labels and imperious attitudes-anyone can identify their program as captain, or coal miner--
Tag me as ….in command…
Ah, the Sea..." Emily D.
LexLocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 17:17   #311
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLocal View Post
The power to TAX- is the power to destroy-

In 2004, Florida ranked as the top state for boat registrations with over
946,000 boats registered. The recreational boating industry is a substantial contributor to the nation’s economy with expenditures on recreational marine products and services of over $37 billion in 2005 alone. In addition, the Florida Legislature recently determined that the annual economic impact of boating on the state of Florida was $14 billion.

Purpose of this post is to support the general premise- that the sweat, strain, bruises, and hard earned money that BOATIN demands….. deserves protection.

That any politician who grabs for the brass of a cruising vessel is eating the seed corn and is betraying his office and his country’s best interest.

That like the Interstate Highways—Vessels should be able to access ports without burdensome costs—
………………..The Greeks discovered 3,000 years ago, as a matter of philosophy—Guests are Welcome.

Challenge to the OZ Cruising Community—Discover the name of the bureaucrat who proposed the tax on vessels-Publish the name and agency name on this forum—or in the local newspaper, letters to the editor.
I heard the water Cops in New Smyrna Beach, Florida were making cruisers feel unwelcome. I just found an ad in a Comox BC paper encouraging tourists to spend their winters there. And they had a toll free number!
Any cruisers who have something to say to the New Smyrna Beach tourist industry about the non welcome their water cops are giving waterborn tourists can phone toll free 1-800-541-9621.
Even if you don't plan on sailing there, being a cruiser gives you a responsibility to stand up for other cruisers. And it's toll free, meaning they are asking for your input, and that of your other cruising friends and family members..
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 17:50   #312

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I heard the water Cops in New Smyrna Beach, Florida were making cruisers feel unwelcome. I just found an ad in a Comox BC paper encouraging tourists to spend their winters there. And they had a toll free number!
Any cruisers who have something to say to the New Smyrna Beach tourist industry about the non welcome their water cops are giving waterborn tourists can phone toll free 1-800-541-9621.
Even if you don't plan on sailing there, being a cruiser gives you a responsibility to stand up for other cruisers. And it's toll free, meaning they are asking for your input, and that of your other cruising friends and family members..
Good one, Brent!

If it was an international toll free, I'd give 'em an earful!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 09-01-2011, 08:57   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLocal View Post
………………..The Greeks discovered 3,000 years ago, as a matter of philosophy—Guests are Welcome.
And I think the Guests after been ripped off said. “Beware of Greeks bearing gifts”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Good one, Brent!

If it was an international toll free, I'd give 'em an earful!

Cheers,

Jim
It used to be free to email the prime minister.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:43   #314
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
... It used to be free to email the prime minister.
FWIW: You can contact the Prime Minister’s office at:

The Right Honourable Stephen Harper
Prime Minister of Canada
Office of the Prime Minister
80 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON K1A 0A2

Fax: (613) 941-6900
Phone: (613) 992-4211

E-mail: pm@pm.gc.ca
It's still free

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:11   #315