Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2010, 17:43   #256
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Now back to some healthy conversation! Looks like there will be one more boat out there soon. I have given notice on the house, had the phone and broadband disconnected and am packing.
Hey, that is good news, I hope you maintain enough connectivity to keep in touch and report your travels.
Fair winds...
__________________

__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 17:55   #257
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
No its too obtuse for me - you see I am a Queenslander - so obviously I am far too busy bending bananas to understand your witty and ironic comment. I maintain Meyermm moved here from Victoria. BTW - had a look at your angus inlet website - got some interesting stuff there, and seems like an interesting group. Good luck with the collections.
Aw Factor, now you've gone & embarrassed me with nice words about my new blog. Are you sure you're a real 'bender?

Really, I was just trying to move this thread to something resembling a vaguely civilised exchange but I see this morning that Meyermm (and I agree; must be a Mexican) is back and has scuttled that!

To my compatriot Meyermm, I offer advice in the form an old adage from my working days: "When you're in a hole, stop digging!
__________________

__________________
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 17:58   #258
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,188
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Aw Factor, now you've gone & embarrassed me with nice words about my new blog. Are you sure you're a 'bender?

Really, I was just trying to move this thread to something resembling a civilised exchange but I see this morning that Meyermm (and I agree; must be a Mexican) is back and has scuttled that!

To my compatriat Meyermm, I offer advice in the form an old adage from my working days: "When you're in a hole, stop digging!
LMAO...
opps... sorry
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 18:09   #259
cruiser

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,167
$300 is just the thin edge of the wedge. If one has to pay that in every island across the Pacific, it eliminates anyone but the super rich from the cruising lifestyle, which may be the objective. Then we will have Australia to thank for it. Best nip it in the bud, and boycott any country which tries it.
It's not as if boats leaving BC go non stop to Aussie then non stop back again.
__________________
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 18:48   #260
Registered User
 
VirtualVagabond's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Posts: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by At sea View Post
Aw Factor, now you've gone & embarrassed me with nice words about my new blog. Are you sure you're a real 'bender?

Really, I was just trying to move this thread to something resembling a vaguely civilised exchange but I see this morning that Meyermm (and I agree; must be a Mexican) is back and has scuttled that!

To my compatriot Meyermm, I offer advice in the form an old adage from my working days: "When you're in a hole, stop digging!
A grand idea and a stout effort.
Except now you've unearthed a bunch of smart alecs who can cross out and invert their text, and I still can't for the life of me work out how the hell they do it.

I've got B I U and then various alignment options. Where are the fancy tricks icons?
__________________
One must live the way one thinks, or end up thinking the way one lives - Paul Bourget

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 19:00   #261
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe
 
Wotname's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: South of 43 S, Australia
Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Posts: 7,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
A grand idea and a stout effort.
Except now you've unearthed a bunch of smart alecs who can cross out and invert their text, and I still can't for the life of me work out how the hell they do it.

I've got B I U and then various alignment options. Where are the fancy tricks icons?
Hi, its Alec here, you are kidding me aren't you (but if you are not then read on).

Are you using the "post reply" button to get to the "Reply to Thread" window or are you just using the "quick reply" window.

The cool stuff is available at the "Reply to Thread" window at the right hand end of the bottom line of tool icons.
__________________
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 19:06   #262
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Boat: Able 50
Posts: 3,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Its an endearing term of derision - every state in australia has one, Queensland is banana Benders or Cane Toads, New south wales is Cockroaches, South Australia is Crow eater Western Australia is sand groper Victorian is Mexican, tasmania usually involves references to two heads or inbreeding etc.

Its all in good fun. The difference between the various states of australia is minuscule compared to the provinces of Canada (where I lived for a while) and I think even more minuscule to the states of the USA (haven't lived there but travelled through it a bit whilst living in Canada).

I stand corrected, (but the Big Banana is still in NSW - coffs harbour to be exact

It beats me how someone with a big pineapple could possibly be jealous of someone else with a big banana. Everyone who has played slot machines knows that pineapples always beat bananas. And so here is a peek at Queensland's #1 tourist attraction and something no cruiser should miss.

The Big Pinapple - WOOMBYE - Queensland

The big banana pales in comparison but if you are in Coffs Harbor anyway . . . .

The Big Banana - It's a whole bunch of fun!

So much culture, so little time.
__________________
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 19:29   #263
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
It beats me how someone with a big pineapple could possibly be jealous of someone else with a big banana. Everyone who has played slot machines knows that pineapples always beat bananas. And so here is a peek at Queensland's #1 tourist attraction and something no cruiser should miss.The Big Pinapple - WOOMBYE - QueenslandThe big banana pales in comparison but if you are in Coffs Harbor anyway . . . .The Big Banana - It's a whole bunch of fun! So much culture, so little time.
And talking of culture, here is a lobster and an orange (not so big though; way down here we do everything in moderation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ora...outh_Australia) and Big Lobster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 22:16   #264
Registered User
 
SurferShane's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NSW AUSTRALIA
Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Posts: 1,129
Images: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hey, that is good news, I hope you maintain enough connectivity to keep in touch and report your travels.
Fair winds...
Will do! I am looking at getting another mobile net stick soon.
__________________
Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. - Voltaire
SurferShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 22:21   #265
Registered User
 
SurferShane's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NSW AUSTRALIA
Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Posts: 1,129
Images: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Way to go SurferShane! Where to first?
I was hoping Tasmania for the Wooden Boat Festival, but an worried a few commitments might stop me leaving early enough. Otherwise it is just going to be a matter of seeing which way the wind blows.

Long term plan of sorts is to eventually head somewhere like Cairns or Darwin where I could find work to fund a Pacific surf trip.
__________________
Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. - Voltaire
SurferShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 23:03   #266
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,188
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
Will do! I am looking at getting another mobile net stick soon.
Lucky Buga.... I'm just looking to get Mobile....
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2010, 23:08   #267
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
I was hoping Tasmania for the Wooden Boat Festival, but an worried a few commitments might stop me leaving early enough. Otherwise it is just going to be a matter of seeing which way the wind blows.

Long term plan of sorts is to eventually head somewhere like Cairns or Darwin where I could find work to fund a Pacific surf trip.
G'Day SS,

Sounds like half the cruising population in the southern hemisphere is heading to the Wooden Boat fest... hope we all get there, and hope to have an eyeball with you and any other CFers who make it.

We're delayed a bit here in the Sydney area for medical reasons, but still hope to make it in time.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying towlers Bay, NSW, Oz
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 07:10   #268
Registered User
 
jimships's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Texas
Boat: Herreshoff_Marco Polo 55_Majesty
Posts: 26
I believe the bell curve of boat volume in cruising sailboats is visibly changing from 28-38 foot peak to an increase at both ends...smaller and larger vessel lengths. The addition of fiberglass as a boat material in the 60-70's has extended the life of boats - making the introduction of new boats less. The cost per unit volume ft3 has also changed up due in part to the decline of currency value, addition of new features and increase in raw cost of materials. Cruising boats are is not immune to these dynamic changes.

I just completed a research project for a client which confirmed older marinas here in the USA, (and I think also in other more developed locations), are changing to other land use purposes to extract best value and highest investment return. It is expensive to cruise.

It takes a special person to want to throw off the lines, spend months at sea and cruise to distant ports and seas. Is this person profile in decline? No. What is changing are the costs, the time available and the personal demands on shore.

If connectivity to the internet could be equal to shore, there would be more telecommuters who would work from the boat. Now, I am not saying that staying connected to the world is a "need", nor even "desirable", but it is a factor limiting people's balance of time away, to daily life.

I believe the number of cruising boats in sailing marinas on a typical weekday confirm the desire is there, but either the funds, time, or both are keeping them tied up or limited to weekend excursions.
__________________
jimships is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 10:21   #269
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimships View Post
I believe the bell curve of boat volume in cruising sailboats is visibly changing from 28-38 foot peak to an increase at both ends...smaller and larger vessel lengths. The addition of fiberglass as a boat material in the 60-70's has extended the life of boats - making the introduction of new boats less. The cost per unit volume ft3 has also changed up due in part to the decline of currency value, addition of new features and increase in raw cost of materials. Cruising boats are is not immune to these dynamic changes.

I just completed a research project for a client which confirmed older marinas here in the USA, (and I think also in other more developed locations), are changing to other land use purposes to extract best value and highest investment return. It is expensive to cruise.

It takes a special person to want to throw off the lines, spend months at sea and cruise to distant ports and seas. Is this person profile in decline? No. What is changing are the costs, the time available and the personal demands on shore.

If connectivity to the internet could be equal to shore, there would be more telecommuters who would work from the boat. Now, I am not saying that staying connected to the world is a "need", nor even "desirable", but it is a factor limiting people's balance of time away, to daily life.

I believe the number of cruising boats in sailing marinas on a typical weekday confirm the desire is there, but either the funds, time, or both are keeping them tied up or limited to weekend excursions.
Well said.
__________________
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2010, 14:08   #270
Registered User
 
sctpc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melbourne Australia
Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Posts: 545
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimships View Post

I just completed a research project for a client which confirmed older marinas here in the USA, (and I think also in other more developed locations), are changing to other land use purposes to extract best value and highest investment return. It is expensive to cruise.

Could you elaborate on the other uses thanks (very interested)
__________________

__________________
sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Is More Forgiving - Cruising Monohull or Cruising Multihull maxingout General Sailing Forum 36 10-02-2010 06:41
Cruising Cat vs. Cruising Mono Performance ssullivan Multihull Sailboats 100 03-01-2010 14:05
cruising log of cruising up the ICW daniel Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 5 12-03-2008 09:01
Boating Participation to Decline ? GordMay The Library 0 24-07-2005 12:37



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:26.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.