Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-12-2010, 17:29   #196
cruiser

Friends who have cruised both the BC coast and the Australian east coast, tell me that compared to BC's hundreds of miles of well protected waters, and enough coastline to go 3/4 of the way around the word , and up to 811 islands in 35 miles, Australias is bleak and mostly open ocean lee shore., similar to the Oregon coast, but warmer, with safe, all weather harbors few and far between., not worth paying $300 to visit. .

Old 14-12-2010, 17:54   #197
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Believe it or not, I do understand the difference between a jumbo jet and a 40 foot sailing yacht.

I would also bet that the total cost of immigration, customs, security etc at Australian airports far, far exceeds that spent on incoming cruising yachts. I acknowledge that the per-head costs of processing cruisers will almost certainly be greater than the per head costs of those arriving by plane, but the one lot is a tax-payer expense and the other is a user pays expense. Given the efforts spent encouraging tourism, it seems incongruous.

Old 14-12-2010, 17:55   #198
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Friends who have cruised both the BC coast and the Australian east coast, tell me that compared to BC's hundreds of miles of well protected waters, and enough coastline to go 3/4 of the way around the word , and up to 811 islands in 35 miles, Australias is bleak and mostly open ocean lee shore., similar to the Oregon coast, but warmer, with safe, all weather harbors few and far between., not worth paying $300 to visit. .

Keep telling everybody that, please
Old 14-12-2010, 18:40   #199
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Quote:
....., with safe, all weather harbors few and far between., .
I can cruise the queensland coast which is better than half the east coast daysailing to good anchorages. And I can day sail from sydney to Brisbane with good anchorages, though some are bar entrances.
Old 14-12-2010, 19:04   #200
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
As someone who frequents Canadian waters, I'm suddenly alarmed about the direction in which this thread is drifting. We should not be encouraging cruisers to drop their hooks in British Columbia rather than Queensland. Canada is cold, it rains a lot, the local beer is awful, and they don't have those delightful Aussie accents in the Frigid North. And they have grizzlies up there, which a cruiser will NEVER run into Down Under.

Bite the bullet, for goodness sake; point the bow toward Oz and pay the fee. Leave Canada to those of us who are so delusional we'll never understand how miserable it is up there.
Old 14-12-2010, 19:17   #201
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
As someone who frequents Canadian waters, I'm suddenly alarmed about the direction in which this thread is drifting. We should not be encouraging cruisers to drop their hooks in British Columbia rather than Queensland. Canada is cold, it rains a lot, the local beer is awful, and they don't have those delightful Aussie accents in the Frigid North. And they have grizzlies up there, which a cruiser will NEVER run into Down Under.

Bite the bullet, for goodness sake; point the bow toward Oz and pay the fee. Leave Canada to those of us who are so delusional we'll never understand how miserable it is up there.
What's that you said about our beer?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 19:40   #202
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Humorous Border Crossing

After one of the big storms down in Florida, about 20 years ago - Andrew maybe? - I bought a bunch of lumber from downed trees. This was quite a mix, rosewood, zera, odds and ends of things I no longer remember. I had the vendor mill it for me. It was all short pieces - under 6 feet.

In the interest of protecting Canada's forest we had, and likely still have, a rule that doesn't allow the importation of raw logs. Lumber and lumber products are OK. In essence nothing that has bark on it is acceptable. I bought a duffel bag, standard army issue, and filled it with these precious bits of lumber and then caught the plane back to BC.

With great difficulty I dragged this duffel bag up to the customs agent at the airport. His shock when I told him what I had to declare was a thing of beauty. Apparently people don't usually fly with duffel bags full of lumber and he wasn't sure what the rule was. I guess my sense of certitude was enough to convince him to let me in with merely a shake of the head and some under-the-breath mutterings.

I don't think termites eat live trees but they can chew up a house pretty fast. I guess if fumigating boats cost them some tourism they have to balance it against the potential cost to wood infrastructure.

Canada has areas of unrivalled beauty from sea to sea to sea but our weather stinks. If you live here you suck it up and deal with it, complain about at every possible juncture and go out and do something anyway. We are very generous in our taxation of visitors; we will even refund any GST you pay, however we will serve up th ame lousy weather to visitors we serve citizens. You are accorded equal rights to complain and people will pay exactly the same amount of attention to your complaints we are used to others paying to ours.

There ... that's my bit for international accord.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 20:16   #203
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I must confess that I went through a brief period where I found a lager called "Moosehead" to be palatable.

I was much younger then.
Old 14-12-2010, 20:37   #204
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Believe it or not, I do understand the difference between a jumbo jet and a 40 foot sailing yacht.

I would also bet that the total cost of immigration, customs, security etc at Australian airports far, far exceeds that spent on incoming cruising yachts. I acknowledge that the per-head costs of processing cruisers will almost certainly be greater than the per head costs of those arriving by plane, but the one lot is a tax-payer expense and the other is a user pays expense. Given the efforts spent encouraging tourism, it seems incongruous.
I think you will find that the user pays principles apply at the airport. The airports are privately owned (well, privately leased) and have to meet the costs of passenger arrival. They do this by charging landing fees which are in turn factored into the cost of the ticket.

As you have identified, it is the game of numbers that make the apparent difference in individual costs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

Sorry Bash, it now time for Canada to take the heat (irony intended). I have also started (locally) promoting Canada as THE cruising destination and "yer save yerselves 300 bucks to spend on cold Canadian beer".

However I agree with Weyalan, if you must come to Oz, stick to the warm welcoming tropical north rather than the cold south .
Bash, I am sure you will understand this point of view also.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 21:43   #205

Boat: deboated
Quote:
All weather harbors which weather are you talking about?
You will notice most Australian boats don't have heaters either
Old 14-12-2010, 21:51   #206

I know this has become the Aus bash sight for some morons, but I noticed on my way over no shortage of boats in French Polynesia. They charge a return air ticket for entry which in my case was around $1000 and our Canadian crew closer to $1500. The theory is it is refunded but the problem is its refunded in French Pacific Franks. Hasn't hurt their tourism just kept out the free be rabble - Viva Le France
Old 14-12-2010, 22:09   #207
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Calling people "morons" based, as far as I can tell, on the fact that they are posting opinions at odds with your own is not exactly helping, cobber.

Most of the people who are "bashing" the customs and immigrations policies and costs are also keen to emphasise all the wonderful things and positives that Australia has to offer. Indeed, if Australia wasn't such a great place to cruise, people wouldn't be so frustrated.

For the record, it is, I think, "vive la France".
Old 14-12-2010, 22:26   #208

Boat: Able 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post

There are some mighty fine beers in BC. For some reason the names of the best ones all seem to be an unpronounceable word starting with a "K".

Maybe the locals kan't spell ?
Old 14-12-2010, 23:24   #209

For the record, it is, I think, "vive la France".
Thanks I failed French!
I said Aus basher not just someone with another opinion and it was others who suggested it had become that.
Wouldn't you agree that harping about the $300 etc while ignoring the French entry fee or NZ safety regulations again not my post and cost of obtaining US visa for one night stay is being very selective hence the moron comment.
Not sure about Tasmania but we have a Fire Ant problem here in South East QLD a recently introduced not by choice problem which is costing millions to try and eradicate. You have a problem with the Tasmanian Devils I recall not sure of the actual details but they are just two examples of what is happening not what might happen.
Old 15-12-2010, 04:27   #210

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
meyermm,

If you look back through this thread, you will see that you have singlehandedly put more people off coming to visit Australia than I would have thought humanly possible.

Nice work.

For someone who started out having a go at fellow Aussies for somehow being disloyal, your attitude and manner has misrepresented Australians and has been the height of disloyalty. You have given the impression to many that we as a people have a lousy, drop dread/stay away attitude. You've tarred us all with that brush and I resent it enormously.

So please people, disregard the distasteful smartarse smugness that characterises his statements.

And please do let him into Canada... we really are looking for a break!

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: