Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 18:40   #136
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: London, Ontario
Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post

Very few economists will argue that governments are the best way to create wealth. Most economists will state that any money that is utilized by government through fees and taxes is money that can not be used within an economy, and the multiplier effect that money would have in the private sector.

Not only are the high fees a disincentive to cruisers even thinking of coming to Australia, those that choose to come anyways, will have less money to spend once they arrive on shore.

Less money to choose for restaurants, bars, stores, tours, rental vehicles etc. etc.
But in reality, this is the crux of the situation.

Any government could honestly give sweet tweet about whether any private sector company flourished or died on the vine. As long as they collect their "pound of flesh", everything else is irrelevant (they don't care about economists either,... they buy and sell them daily).

Do you honestly think the Bahamian government gives a rat's butt about Sandy Toes or Australia cares about Icebergs or even the USA about Sloppy Joe's in the Key West? Heck no!

They do however, care that you pay your entrance (and any other) fee though because that's what helps fund the S&R missions due to our negligence, helps provide shore side amenities, keeps local taxes down, etc and basically ensures their continued employment.

Always remember, you're a visitor in these places. Bring your bottle of wine (or bucket of cash as the case may be) and smile or find some place else to go.

After all, it is a big ol' world out there, full of exotic (and possibly less expensive) places. Just because everybody else goes there, doesn't mean you have to.
__________________

__________________
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 18:51   #137
Senior Cruiser
 
osirissail's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: A real life Zombie from FL
Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Posts: 5,416
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrymark View Post
What does cruising mean in this group? Does it mean significant voyages between ports? Two, or five, or ten nights out of your home port? Day sailing in a "cruising boat," maybe with an overnight?
Ah! a refreshing question - not about Australia, even.
- - But I would differentiate "cruising" from "sailing" by what your purpose for the boat is and how you use it. "Sailors" love the joys of moving through the water on a vessel and relish how their vessel and their skills can meld together resulting in top performance or enjoyment. "Cruisers" - I believe" also enjoy the journey but the purpose of the boat is to use it to get somewhere, anywhere, that is different and not "home." In other words "get away from it all." There is a large community of "land cruisers" who ply the highways and byways in RV's for the same reasons.
- - Sailors go out for a day or a weekend and rarely any longer unless it is Antigua Race Week. Cruisers usually go out for as long as their commitments or money allows.
- - So it is really an "attitude" rather than a hard either/or definition. To me cruising is to be able to travel the world and see places new and old while taking your "home" with you. You sleep in your own bed, eat in your own galley and relax in your own salon no matter where in the world you are anchored/berthed.
- - - - Cruising Boats, Cruising People, really fall into three categories. You can be "trapped" on land having to make a living for yourself and family and only cruise for your vacation each year. Or you can afford to take a "sabbatical" leave and circumnavigate some particular body of water/islands. Or if you are retired and have the resources to sustain continuous travel by private boat to different parts of the world you rarely come back unless health or some external circumstance forces you.
__________________

__________________
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 19:23   #138
Moderator Emeritus
 
hummingway's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gabriola Island & Victoria, British Columbia
Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Posts: 6,933
Images: 5
Darn Aussies ...

True story. About 30 years ago I was playing in a bar in the interior of BC. A couple of Aussies came up to me on the break and asked if they could get up and sing their national anthem; they were a long way from home and it would mean a lot to them. They got up and started singing "F***ing Matilda" in two part dischord. It took the the manager about two seconds to get to where I was sitting and inform me the band was fired if I didn't get them off the stage immediately. As soon as I stopped laughing and dried my eyes I complied.
__________________
“We are the universe contemplating itself” - Carl Sagan

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 19:31   #139
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Blue Hill, Maine
Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Posts: 91
responding to Osirissail

Ahh, Osiris, that's a thoughtful and generous response to "what is cruising", particularly from a joe living on board in the Caribbean. I think we are always looking for a reason to go out - a five mile trip to a cove, a sail out of the bay into the swells, a picnic, seven nights out because we have seven nights available, no matter what the weather. A reason, and maybe a little stress, ties us to the old days. And if one person's reason or stress seems a trifle lightweight to another person, well, we're all just cruising.
__________________
Surrymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 19:39   #140
Moderator Emeritus
 
Pblais's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Hayes, VA
Boat: Gozzard 36
Posts: 8,700
Images: 15
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Everything is never the same as it used to be.........
It's something that always seems to be true. To those that left crusing yesterday I doubt they feel or care if cruising is on the decrease or not. There never was that many boats cruising and there probably won't be. Being up or down is all relative to where you are and of course if you are out there sailing. Dave gets a few things right enough.

Quote:
We're all proud Australians and Tom did say as much, but that doesn't mean we can't be critical of local beaurocratic idiocy.
Well you can do so some place else. With an international flavor to the membership it appears as most people are dissatisfied with their local politics. I can't say I'm excited about the USA right now either. But we all need to remember:

Cruising Boats, Cruising People, Cruising Answers

It's at the top of every page on this website. No cruising politics on the masthead. It's not an accident. I'll live with mine and you can do the same. We would all rather be boating or at least talking about it. It's OK that we can't solve politics everyplace let alone any place. so we don't try. It's OK to be involved if you do it some place else.
__________________
Paul Blais
s/v Bright Eyes Gozzard 36
37 15.7 N 76 28.9 W
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 19:54   #141
Registered User
 
beau's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 757
Images: 1
Time for my 2 bits worth.
I am Australian currently moored in Brisbane Queensland.
I agree with Surfer Shane, we have far to much bureauacy in this country.
It stems from being an English colony with mainly Irish immigrants early on.
Our government decides what is best for us. We have little or no say.?

I lived in the USA for 10 years and I really did see democracy at work, the people in the USA, in the long run do decide how their country is run.
We don't
However Australia is relatively unpopulated, if you stay away from the big cities. It is a great country with friendly people.

It is possible, even here in Brisbane in 1/2 hour sail to find a beautiful beach and have it all to yourself during weekdays.
Further North it just gets better, plenty of deserted islands, coral reefs an lots of fish etc.
The weather is sub tropical at first becoming tropical as you go north.
The winter is warm, but windy 15-25 S/E.
The summer is hot and winds vary from 5 knot N/E to 20 knot S/E

Cyclone season is December to April, we get 4-6 cyclones a year. However there are plenty of Cyclone holes up the coast.

I am heading North in March, via Cooktown/Thursday island/Meurake, Indonesia/Malaysia/Phillipines/Thailand.

I hope I never come back
__________________
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 21:38   #142
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,203
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic de Beer View Post
Brings us back to the question.... Is cruising on a decline?
If your sailing South.... definitly
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 23:54   #143
Moderator Emeritus
 
hummingway's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gabriola Island & Victoria, British Columbia
Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Posts: 6,933
Images: 5
On an incline somtimes too ...
__________________
“We are the universe contemplating itself” - Carl Sagan

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:55   #144
Registered User
 
Tom and Maje's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cruising the southern coast of Portugal and Spain
Boat: Leopard 40
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
A large percentage of cruisers that i meet are baby boomers, retired or forced retirement and for once in ther lives want to be independant. The children have grown up and the man has this dream of sailing off.

the problem is not many wives also have this dream, they want to stay at home and be grandmothers. Some wives however really enjoy the life cruising on a boat, however you may need to add a few comforts, like a fridge/freezer and fresh water.
Or change wives? like I did.
It will be interesting to see how the next generation enjoy their cruising.
I disagree. In our family I'm the one making sure we are ready to go as soon as he can retire. There are a lot of women on this forum as well. I think that if one whats to go he/she will go. But a lot of people dream of going but are either afraid or too lazy to make it happen.

Maje
__________________
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:59   #145
Registered User
 
Tom and Maje's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cruising the southern coast of Portugal and Spain
Boat: Leopard 40
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
A big factor, maybe the biggest, is selling the house as so many cruisers must. House prices have fallen more than boat prices meaning that the war chest ain't what it might have been.
That is a fact. We planned to sell our house to buy the boat. That is not going to happen. After over 18 months on the market the house did not sell. I've read that the housing market is not going to recover for another five years. That's too long for us. So we are cutting to the bone saving for the boat.

Maje
__________________
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:15   #146
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Boat: Able 50
Posts: 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
That is a fact. We planned to sell our house to buy the boat. That is not going to happen. After over 18 months on the market the house did not sell. I've read that the housing market is not going to recover for another five years. That's too long for us. So we are cutting to the bone saving for the boat.

Maje

Boat prices should respond through next year. Some owners are so rich they don't care but others must sell to save their house/business or whatever. Keep an eye on the Med where bargains are starting to appear.

Hang in there and your turn will come.
__________________
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:38   #147
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Boat prices should respond through next year. Some owners are so rich they don't care but others must sell to save their house/business or whatever. Keep an eye on the Med where bargains are starting to appear.

Hang in there and your turn will come.
At my present location in NE Florida I've noticed several two to five year old bank repossessed 38'+ fine sailboats and some prices low enough to surprise me. I think there is an opportunity for watchfull shoppers to keep their dreams.
__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:59   #148
Moderator Emeritus
 
hummingway's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Gabriola Island & Victoria, British Columbia
Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Posts: 6,933
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
I disagree. In our family I'm the one making sure we are ready to go as soon as he can retire. There are a lot of women on this forum as well. I think that if one whats to go he/she will go. But a lot of people dream of going but are either afraid or too lazy to make it happen.

Maje
Back when I was I tied to a dock I noticed some things ...

one of my neighbors used to complain his wife didn't like the boat much and was attached to her house but one day he confessed to me he was too. I noticed that while he loved his boat he was very timid on the water and really his wife wasn't holding him back in any way although that was his story;

one of my other neighbors was vey alpha and he would have been the driving force had he been in a same sex marriage. His wife was always there but his personality and not his sex decided who was driving things;

I sailed a lot with another neighbor because both of us love sailing and his wife was a bit scared of it. She actually enjoyed the cruising part although they didn't do a lot of cruising but sailing made her nervous;

two close friends of mine having been married and sailing for probably 40 years. It is definately an equal partnership although she tends towards 'domestic' chores and him 'mechanical'.

If I go into my own relationship this will get to long but suffice it say she wouldn't have thought of cruising because she wouldn't have believed she could manage a boat but she loves it when we do go together and it helps her to see it is manageable.

Men may have been socialized to keep a wrench close at hand but I think the things that drive us to the sea may not be limited by sex.
__________________
“We are the universe contemplating itself” - Carl Sagan

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:48   #149
Registered User
 
Tom and Maje's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cruising the southern coast of Portugal and Spain
Boat: Leopard 40
Posts: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
At my present location in NE Florida I've noticed several two to five year old bank repossessed 38'+ fine sailboats and some prices low enough to surprise me. I think there is an opportunity for watchfull shoppers to keep their dreams.
Where are bank repossessed boats listed?

Maje
__________________
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 13:28   #150
Moderator
 
Hudson Force's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Posts: 7,894
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
............but I think the things that drive us to the sea may not be limited by sex.
..........sure, it can't be sex alone that keeps me on the water, but.....?

Tom & Maje, I don't know anything about listings for repossessed boats. I just mentioned that because a couple of Island Packets here at my present marina (Fleming Island, Orange Park, Florida) have signs on them that say "Bank Repo". Maybe it's just a marketing tool,- I'm not shopping, but it seems that these may be common with the economic times.
__________________

__________________
Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Is More Forgiving - Cruising Monohull or Cruising Multihull maxingout General Sailing Forum 36 10-02-2010 06:41
Cruising Cat vs. Cruising Mono Performance ssullivan Multihull Sailboats 100 03-01-2010 14:05
cruising log of cruising up the ICW daniel Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 5 12-03-2008 09:01
Boating Participation to Decline ? GordMay The Library 0 24-07-2005 12:37



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:24.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.