Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2011, 14:54   #1

Is a Pearson P-30 a Good Safe Boat for Open Ocean ?

hello im new to the forum im planing to buy a 1976 pearson 30'' wich seems to be in great condition and the plan is to sail it all the way to argentina, south america, also there is a inboard atomic 4 engine is supposed to be working but i wonder if this is a good motor? or should i probably try to fit a ford or chevrolet motor, excuseme if this is a stupid question i just dont know anything about sail boats or sailing all arround so i feel a lot safer with a good working gas engine lol
so is it a good blue water boat? i will spend a little extra in gps, rada depth rada and the basic tech to be safe too
i was also wondering if there is anybody in or near alabama with a sail boat that would like to teach me the basic , i can cover all the expenses
danniel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 16:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: is a pearson p-30 a good safe boat for open ocean ?

Pearson's in general are well made boats. Whether it is suitable to sail to Argentina would also require that the boat is properly prepared and since it is a bit old, rigging, sails and other essential parts checked out and repaired or replaced as necessary.

The Atomic 4 is a pretty good engine for boats but it is gasoline. Gas is safer in cars but in boats the fumes can collect in the bilge and a spark could cause an explosion. You have to be very, very careful with gas on a boat. Not sure which Ford or Chevy engine you're talking about but if you want to do anything with the engine put in a small marine diesel. Beta Marine is a good option.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 18:47   #3

Boat: O'Day 28
Cool Re: is a pearson p-30 a good safe boat for open ocean ?

Sir, I fully agree with Skipmac. ,

That and a dollar might get you a coffee somewhere.

I guess I have to ask if you are the same poster who we spoke to last couple of weeks? Something 8989?

Doesn't matter. You can't be too dumb. This is an inceredibly nice bunch. Just ask all the questions, and get it over with. We get this is new to you.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 08:01   #4

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

1) The Atomic 4 is as safe as your car if you know how to work a bilge blower.

2) It is not suitable for more than coastal work not due to danger, but to range: Few boats with the tankage in a 30 footer likely carry enough gasoline to motor more than 100 NM. That reason is why diesel is preferred: range and runtime. Diesel gives you more miles per gallon. Diesel engines are happiest when turned on, set to a medium-fast RPM and left alone for hours, i.e. motoring or motor-sailing point-to-point in calms or very light air. That said, you have the same issues of range if you repower: can you install enough diesel tankage to motor the several hundred miles it is desirable to keep for emergencies on a skinny '70s boat like a Pearson 30?

3) I agree with the Beta diesel drop-in. I bought one myself (not the drop-in model, just a largish Beta). I still keep an Atomic 4 in good condition in my 33 footer, however, because a gas engine for short haul, "head to wind" sailing typical of inshore/coastal recreational sailing.

4) I do not agree that a Pearson 30 is a suitable ocean-going boat, as it is considerably influenced by the IOR design notions, making it a touch tender and a bumpy ride; its portlights and hatches are not ocean-rated; its deck gear is too "weekender", and its tankage is utterly inadequate for ocean passages greater than about one week. It's similar in "ideas" as my '73 Viking 33, another skinny, pinched stern flyer that would be a wet misery on the open ocean...you would arrive, but with bruises, cuts, strains, half-starved, parched, half-drowned and with every port leaking. The Pearson 30 on passage is like taking a Chevy Vega across the Sahara. Yeah, it could happen, but who the hell would endure it?

On the other hand, it's very "middle middle", if now quite aged, a design suitable for coastal enjoyment and short hauls within 20 miles of the coast.

If you got it for free, it would make a good couples passagemaker after you put about 40 grand into it. As it's at most a ten grand boat, that makes no sense.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 08:07   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if ye go by racing ideals and numbers, might wanna go racing. a pearson 30 or pearson of any kind is a good sturdy seaworthy boat, will NOT take 40k to upgrade it-- shop wisely. folks with WORKING atomic 4 love them. lol make sure bilge blowers are good and work well. otherwise---- no sweat.
if ye buy the boat, send pix of the areas you are cruising/sailing and let those of us here know how much you truly did have to put into hr to make her good..lol she is ALREADY GOOD.
BTW-- there was a catalina 27 CIRCUMNAVIGATED IN EARLY 1990S--LOL--IF THEY CAN DO THAT IN THAT, YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU WANT IN A PEARSON
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 09:20   #6

THANKS EVERYBODY, IM LEARNING ALOT ABOUT BOATS , I HAVE TIME AND SOME MONEY IN MY HANDS TO BUY AND LEARN HOW TO SAIL AND I SEE THE OLDER BOATS ARE VERY CHEAP TODAY ANYWAYS IM GONNA KEEP LOOKING, I REALLY LIKED THIS PEARSON , IT IS BEAUTIFUL 2ND OWNER BOAT LOOKS LIKE A 1990, A LOT BETTER THEN MY PIECE OF CRAP ASTRO VAN 1995.

TGZZZ I SEE YOU ALSO OWN A PEARSON BOAT LOL DUDE HOW ABOUT THAT DOES YOUR BOAT PEARSON MAKE GOOD COFFES? AND NO IM NOT THE SAME THE WORLD IS FULL OF FOOLS STARTING W/ YOU MAN, YOU ANSWER DIDNT HELP BUT LOOKS LIKE THE PEARSON'S ARE GOOD TO MAKE COOFE OK MAN GOOD LUCK THEN, DOES YOUR MODEL MAKE GOOD CAPUCHINOS?

WHAT WILL BE A GOOD OLDER OCEN BOAT? ANY PARTICULAR BRAND / MODEL?
THANKS A LOT PEOPPLE
danniel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 09:31   #7

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

i would look at older albergs, pearsons tritons and cape dorys. all these can be had for reasonable prices. all will need work...what older boat doesn't? Many of these boats have been around the world and have proven themselves time and time again. Most have a strong following to help guide you on any repairs and or upgrades.

FWIW, Saw an older alberg 37 for sale around VA, MD for 8400 a couple of days ago
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 10:49   #8

Pearson 30 open ocean to Argentina? I don't think so; not for someone with
admittedly no experience. Some questions for you before you try this:
Have you crewed on another ocean passage?
Are you going to be responsible for others beside yourself?
Can you manage medical emergencies like broken bones, dehydration, etc.?
Can you repair through-hull fittings that begin to leak while underway?
Will you be filing a sail plan? Emergeny plan?
Atomic-4 gas engine is repairable if you have some experience; but, usually at dockside, not underway. What about shaft and prop repair?
How much thought have you given to 50 knot winds, 30 foot waves, blown-out sails, and broken rigging including the mast?
I owned and sailed a Pearson 30 on Lake Champlaine and the Cheasepeake
for 14 years. Plenty of rough water sailing. Mild compared to ocean storms.
It's a wet boat in bad weather.
With a good crew and more experience you might be OK. Enphasis added.
Good luck. Let us know the rest of the story.
Regards, Bill Russell
wgruss1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 10:58   #9

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

I owned a Pearson 30 at one point. Can't say enough good things about the basic construction of a P30. As others have said it is all about maintenance. I would not want to go blue water cruising with 36 year old rigging in any boat. The list goes on and on from there.

Here is the Jack Horner review BoatUS.com: Boat Reviews by Jack Hornor, N.A. - Pearson 30
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 06:43   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Is a Pearson P-30 a Good Safe Boat for Open Ocean ?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Daniel & Bill R.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 17:00   #11

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Same as what Bill Russell said....with emphasis on much more
experience.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:23   #12

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I sympathise with the OP, it is the original chicken or the egg circle. To know what is a good boat to buy you need knowledge and experience, but the only way to get experience is to buy, (or rent) a boat, and sail it. And the only way to get knowledge is to ask stupid,(newbe) questions on online forums.

Unfortunately I've never found a good solution to this except to make your first boat as small simple inexpensive boat, and plan that while it may meet your short term learning needs, it probably, (unless you get very lucky), wont meet your eventual cruising needs the first few boats.

As you learn more, you'll understand better what you need, and what is comfortable for you, your tollorance for bouncing, and rolling, and ability to handle lines under tension, and,...finally pocketbook.

The only downside is if like me, you put too much money into your first boat ,and due to general market crash, have trouble unloading it when you are ready to move up.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 05:39   #13

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

As you can see from my avatar info, I currently sail a Pearson 30 on Lake Ontario. I have the recommended upgrades mentioned in the posts above. The A4 has been replaced with a reliable Volvo 2002 diesel. All new standing and running rigging. New sails. Chart plotter, autohelm, origo stove, flat panel tv, etc.

I feel comfortable taking her out in any kind of wind or sea conditions. However, I'm on Lake Ontario, not the ocean.

I have to agree, the ports are not ocean worthy, especially the opening port in the head. But that could be replaced.

It has good, simple layout. But IMHO, it just does not have the storage space and room for enough comfort for long ocean crossings. A coastal cruiser, sure. Island hopping in the caribbean, definitely. But if I were to head south, I would want the Pearson 35...a much bigger boat.

And finally, there are plenty of old boats out there. I'm partial to the very pretty C&C boats. But their keel bolts are rusting out with age...and thats the end for them. The Pearson 30 has an encapsulated keel...no keel bolts to rot. That alone makes the Pearson 30 a better choice compared to other similarly old (and cheap) boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 001.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	421.1 KB
ID:	105148   Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 020.jpg
Views:	1272
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	105149  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Compromise 049.JPG