Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2019, 13:28   #1

Is a Maxwell RC8612V sufficient

Hello, I have read many threads on CF but this is my first post. I am looking at adding a Windlass to a Hunter 35 and am curious if the RC8612V is large enough. Historically we have had a 40Lb Bruce with 30’ of 1/4 chain and 300’ of 5/8 3strand. After dragging when we were in deeper water we added another 30’ of chain and now it is a lot of work to pull it up when anchored in 20-40’. I want to add a windlass and am planning on the previously mentioned unit which basically is a Maxwell RC8 but with RC6 sized motor, and a gypsy wheel sized for 1/4 chain + 1/2” rope. Or in other words, it is basically an RC6 but with the emergency manual backup capabilities of the RC8. If I went this route I would probably get 75’ of new 1/4 chain and 250’ of new 1/2” nylon. Maxwell recommends 4Awg cable but I am wiring with 2Awg in case we ever need a bigger unit. Would anyone have serious reservations about the size of this windlass considering the size of our tackle or the size of our boat? Thanks in advance.
Layne Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 14:24   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Is a Maxwell RC8612V sufficient

I think an rc6 sized thing with 1/4” chain is a little small for your boat, but again it depends on the type of anchoring you’re doing.

If it’s just nice weekends, you should be fine with your existing Rhode.

Personally I’d feel more comfortable with 5/16” chain and 5/8” line.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 15:24   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I think an rc6 sized thing with 1/4” chain is a little small for your boat, but again it depends on the type of anchoring you’re doing.

If it’s just nice weekends, you should be fine with your existing Rhode.

Personally I’d feel more comfortable with 5/16” chain and 5/8” line.
Have 34ft sailboat and using 90ft of 5/16" chain spliced to 200ft of 5/8" 3-strand laid nylon.
It all works well with my old gypsy-less winch.
But I found when doing the splicing that 3 nylon strands wouldn't fit through the end link of the chain, only 2 of them would. So I spliced using the end 2 links. Seems to work well. Can't recall having seen that done elsewhere so rather wonder why not. Is it common? Experienced splicers opinions welcomed.
I don't like using a shackle for connecting the nylon to the chain.
Just curious.
robinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 15:53   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinco View Post
Have 34ft sailboat and using 90ft of 5/16" chain spliced to 200ft of 5/8" 3-strand laid nylon.
It all works well with my old gypsy-less winch.
But I found when doing the splicing that 3 nylon strands wouldn't fit through the end link of the chain, only 2 of them would. So I spliced using the end 2 links. Seems to work well. Can't recall having seen that done elsewhere so rather wonder why not. Is it common? Experienced splicers opinions welcomed.
I don't like using a shackle for connecting the nylon to the chain.
Just curious.

I’ve been doing this for years, same line and chain size as you, with zero issues.

https://www.animatedknots.com/chain-splice-knot
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 19:52   #5

I've been doing it for years too. But just re-measured and realised my rope is actually 3/4", not 5/8" because I now remember I couldn't get the smaller size at the time.
A straight eye splice of 3/4" rope to 5/16" chain won't go through just one link (for me anyway, 3/8" chain is fine) without using two end links or some other auxiliary method of joining.
Just curious if anyone has ever had problems with the two link setup with whatever size rope, like not working well with the gypsy or whatever.
robinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 09:56   #6
Marine Service Provider

You'll find handy sizing charts for anchors, chain and windlasses on the Vetus Maxwell website www.vetus.com (anchoring systems). IMHO the RC86 and related ground tackle is a bit light for your boat and an RC88 wold be better. A good rule of thumb is that the windlass pull (not static hold) should be at least three times the combined weight of the anchor and rode (anchor plus chain weight in practice)

Thanks for choosing Maxwell (it shows how intelligent you are)

John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Boat Equipment
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 10:12   #7

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Get rid of the BABY chain it will not hold you in a blow. 1/2 inch or 5/16
You dont have to go to 3/8 its just to heavy for your boat.

A boat length in chain than your rode. !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 11:21   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

FIRST! You have to determine what kind of 1/4" chain. They are not all the same and will not all fit in the same gypsy. If you have 1/4" BBB in my opinion that is a bit light for your boat. 1/4" HT (same as 1/4" G4 or G40) is the bare minimum I would consider.

5/16" BBB or 5/16" HT would be my choice but again, these two grades will need different gypsies. You MUST match the chain and gypsy exactly or the chain will jump and slip. This is something I'm sure John can help you with.

By the way, I do agree that Maxwell is a good choice. If my ancient Simpson Lawrence ever dies I'll replace it with a Maxwell.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2019, 12:34   #9

Boat: Prout 34

RC88 with 1/4” chain and 5/8 8 plait rope on my 34’ sailboat. Mantus 45 pds. No problem with power, just at the splice. Usually jams and I need hands on to fix. When I go up to 5/16” chain I’m hoping that will change. I also considered the Maxwell RC86, like you I wasn’t sure if it would be strong enough.
hurricanehole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maxwell