Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2013, 09:01   #61
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Is a boat a kind of "Man Cave"?

rodlmao..this has become a fun time....i find it interesting that you testosterone addled upright walking creatures do not figger females capable of enjoying sailing.
this fallacy has been handed down from generation to generation throughout the duration of male dominated bs on the water.
it doesnt take balls, eggs, huevos, or testosterone to enjoy sailing.
it also doesnt take that bs to own, refit, and enjoy a sweet heavy displacement cruising ketch.
watch your tongues and lets party on the water.....you guys can keep the liquid refreshments cold for me.

another fallacy is that all women can type (as allthey were cut out to be was secretaries.correctly....LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 09:07   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
rodlmao..this has become a fun time....i find it interesting that you testosterone addled upright walking creatures do not figger females capable of enjoying sailing.
this fallacy has been handed down from generation to generation throughout the duration of male dominated bs on the water.
it doesnt take balls, eggs, huevos, or testosterone to enjoy sailing.
it also doesnt take that bs to own, refit, and enjoy a sweet heavy displacement cruising ketch.
watch your tongues and lets party on the water.....you guys can keep the liquid refreshments cold for me.

another fallacy is that all women can type (as allthey were cut out to be was secretaries.correctly....LOL
Let's not lump generalizations and exceptions into one pile. Men in general like more uncomfortable, risky things. Nobody has said that there are no women who like sailing....there obviously are. I think you can accurately say there are fewer women into sailing than there are men. Why is anyone's guess. I'm sure there are multiple reasons.

You are wrong that men walk upright. Most of us walk hunched over with our knuckles dragging on the ground. Without a hunched over adaptation, we would bang our heads on our caves. Somehow in this war between the sexes, some women still like us enough to end up getting pregnant.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 09:21   #63

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

And you wonder why she leaves???????????

Let the woman chose the boat! It's the very least the man can do!

Still not a guarantee. Don't ask me how I know

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Let's get real.
Choose your partner well.
Having a woman choose the boat is no guarantee. Your love-cave could easily turn into a man-cave when reality raises a head. An expensive man-cave.
My experience is like others expressed here. Men tend to be adventurers, long term and women more home bodies, long term. Each devies into the others world periodically. There are exceptions of course. There are a few women that love the adventure and have more male traits than their counterparts. But few and far between. Yes, choose your partner well. On a boat there is little space to get away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I think we should broaden things a bit here...
There's marina folk... and there's sailing folk...
Marina folk are where they've tried and reached a compromise... both have what they need.. he's got the cave.. she got the semblance or normality along with bohemia... great for street cred..
Sailing folk are where they they say... 'So far... So good..'
90% of men who sail will never take their boats more than 100 miles from home port and sleep on land or in a marina 48 weeks of the year.. they'll talk world cruise but it'll never happen.. and the wive's know it. Another 9% travel all over.. sometimes solo.. sometimes in company..
1 % will always be solo... thats the source and continuation of the legend of a woman in every port... best of all worlds...
I do feel that if a woman walks away its for one of three reasons...
1/ She's decided she's where its at to start achieving her own dreams.. 'I've given your life a go... its not enough, I'm going home..' Usually returns to Uni or starts a business.. No hard feelings either way and the relationship sometimes continues successfully..
2/ The guy she's with is an ******* who screams, panic's and blames everyone else... (amazingly I've seen these pairs carry on for a surprisingly long time)... so she go's to visit Mom and never comes back.
3/ She's been taken past her comfort zone.. coast hopping fine... a Trans-Atlantic/Pacific and 20-30+ days of rolling nausea and stress leads to the 'Caribbean Holler'... 'Thats it.. I'm going home... sell it, sail it back I don't care but you've 6mths to do it.. or I want a divorce..'
Thats how I got my Bene' 321 in St Martin.. French couple with reason number 3
My 0.02centimes..
All so true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Let's not lump generalizations and exceptions into one pile. Men in general like more uncomfortable, risky things. Nobody has said that there are no women who like sailing....there obviously are.
I agree and stated above, there are a few, rare exceptions.
I recently had a lady visit from another country who thought she wanted to go voyaging. We really get along fine and had many things in common. We mapped out a plan to accomplish a mutual goal. In the end when she flew back to her country, a reality set in of her comfort for her little rented cabin in the jungle. For her, I think, it was trading security for an unknown. I tried to explain that this lifestyle was not forever and would be visiting back stateside often. Still it wouldn't fly. I feel it's part of the human condition.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 09:32   #64
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

as each of us is different from all others, is fun to find someone who agrees with our mindset--is a rare and fun occasion.

happy sails.

i am busy repairing for another coupla few weeks, then i sail 500+ miles toward my goal.

i cannot wait to spend time at sea with moon and stars and critters of the deep and their phosphorescent trails .....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 09:41   #65

Earlier Quote:- "The question is not whether you like the man cave. The question is whether you're sleeping alone tonight".

I'll add to the discussion that there is no right choice or wrong choice in the matter. If you bought a white, plastic 40+ foot bar of soap in the water, to please who you call your better half, then all the power to you. Compromise can be a semi-death called coping. For some to have a women to sleep with is an end all accomplishment in life. For others, they view it to an anchor. Having said that, it seems silly for an un-kept, foul-mouth who lives on a small dark excuse for a boat to expect a runway model to scream "take me, I'm yours" upon the sight. But there is a lot of room between to two examples. (See pictures below)
For me...I have a better time sailing with my male friends, who, as stated earlier, do not mind being uncomfortable. In the slip I like a female friend over on the weekend to hang out for a light house-keeping affair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flat,800x800,070,f.u2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	57463   Click image for larger version

Name:	adgr815.gif.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	57464  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 20-03-2013, 09:58   #66

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
I find it interesting that women, in general don't like sailing.

So . . . is a sailboat perceived as being . . . our "Man Cave"?
In a word, no.

She told me I could go with her or stay behind, but she was going.

I don't interfere with her desire to put slip covers on every cushion on any boat we own, but I do refuse to get involved with picking out colors/patterns.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 10:07   #67
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
Amen to that! The first thing my Asian girl did after she met me was start to fatten me up. Now I'm 40lbs heavier and we're still somehow able to live happily aboard a tiny boat.
Lol! - mine couldn't even cook ....never got as far as on a boat (boat not very important to either of us - I would have sold the boat with no qualms if it didn't fit into our future plans).....but am pretty sure she would have been damned handy when it came to beating off Pirates......

.....and likely also useful for dismembering any "survivors" .

Happy days .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 10:20   #68

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
She told me I could go with her or stay behind, but she was going.

I don't interfere with her desire to put slip covers on every cushion on any boat we own, but I do refuse to get involved with picking out colors/patterns.
Maybe nesting instincts are strong for many women, but they needn't be land based .

I certainly need some creature comforts long term (dry cosy bed being a prime example), but no problems at all with short term discomfort. In fact it just adds to the adventure .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 10:24   #69

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
My experience is like others expressed here. Men tend to be adventurers, long term and women more home bodies, long term.
I found this actually offensive. Women risk for more damage when they set off adventuring. I met a woman who has covered in bruises from walking through the market in Cairo despite being with her husband. I only went out in Egypt while fully covered and wearing a head scarf.

Men in Turkey will grab any part of your body they can.

And Italian men can be incredibly verbally offensive.

It's not that women aren't more adventurous, they just have to add "defense" to their travel kit.
CatInHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 10:42   #70
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post
I found this actually offensive. Women risk for more damage when they set off adventuring. I met a woman who has covered in bruises from walking through the market in Cairo despite being with her husband. I only went out in Egypt while fully covered and wearing a head scarf.

It's not that women aren't more adventurous, they just have to add "defense" to their travel kit.
Whilst I am sure Celestial can speak for himself, he was of course relating his own experiance. Whether that is a good thing or not is another matter (and an opinion? )....for all I know he may wish things were different (or he may not ). me just sees that view as acknowledging a reality for many (not all of course - women or men) and each gets to choose how to work with that or to accept the consequences from ignoring it / wishing it weren't so.

On the travel thing, no doubt women do have to be more careful than men about certain matters, but I doubt that Egypt and Turkey came as any great surprise - and likely further along the North African coast your hubby would also be getting offers to buy. or at least p/x (if he has ever expressed any interest in owning a camel or 2 perhaps not a good place to visit )...........but whilst men may be safer (but not immune!) from one sort of attention they (we!) do also more have to contend with the possibility that challenges / arguments get physical sooner between fellas - and when abroad that not always about using the same ideas of proportion as back "home".......no easy / simple ride for either sexes in life.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 11:07   #71

'tis true. There also seems to be a cultural bias as I have met plenty of Aussie ladies traveling on their own.

Perhaps it's a combination expectations (or fears) and adventurous spirit.
Old 20-03-2013, 11:52   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInHand View Post

You conveniently left out other points of my quote. Please see below
"My experience is like others expressed here. Men tend to be adventurers, long term and women more home bodies, long term. Each devies into the others world periodically. There are exceptions of course. But if you have an axe to grind, go ahead and use me as an oil stone.
In regards to the woman being bruised...perhaps a better regard for another countries customs. I know when traveling to SEA, there are many taboos I have learned over the years. Sometimes the hard way.
Old 20-03-2013, 12:01   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
You conveniently left out other points of my quote. Please see below
"My experience is like others expressed here. Men tend to be adventurers, long term and women more home bodies, long term. Each devies into the others world periodically. There are exceptions of course. But if you have an axe to grind, go ahead and use me as an oil stone.
In regards to the woman being bruised...perhaps a better regard for another countries customs. I know when traveling to SEA, there are many taboos I have learned over the years. Sometimes the hard way.
Not grinding, too much effort involved in that, just pointing out that desire and willingness are two different things.

I promise you hon, if I'm oiling up a man, nothing sharp is in the works.
Old 20-03-2013, 12:27   #74

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

goboatingnow:

I can understand your viewpoint, but is it possible that your vantage point is somewhat biased?

From my own personal knowledge I know of a number of guys who took sailing lessons at the behest of their partner and it makes sense to me.

Have many of the women you've taught been in the program without a male partner or without a husband footing the class bill?
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 12:29   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
ROTFLMFAO I'm assuming your "goof pickup line" is a typo and you meant to say "good pickup line".

hmmmmmmmmmm so you're saying that a male fat depot (beer belly) is not as erotic a sight for females as female fat depots (those lovely breasts) are for males?

tsk,tsk - live and learn. I wonder why?

How do you make a couple of pounds of fat look attractive? Stick a nipple on it.

Coops.