Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2015, 13:50   #1

Boat: 2012 Leopard 44
Is a 70" Wind Turbine too big for a solar rack?

I am wanting to know if anybody has any experience with the 2000 watt Nature Power wind turbine that has 70" diameter blade pattern. I would be putting it on top of a 1.9" schedule 80 aluminum 5 foot pole that is mounted on the upper side of my solar rack. The question is why don't I see more of these wind turbines this size on sailboats? Is it just too big for its own good or is there another reason? They sell this unit at West Marine so I suppose people do install them on sailboats, its just that I've never seen one this size....I always see the Air X or the Air Breeze units that run about 400 watts and about a 50" diameter blades.

Thanks for any and all comments.
Catamoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 14:10   #2

Re: Is a 70" Wind Turbine too big for a solar rack?

I think 70" is way too big. By the time the wind picks up to 10 mph, it's probably already ripped the mount out of the hull. Maybe something halfway between 70" and the small wind generators might work out.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 10:00   #3

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Imagine a 50 kt wind and you cannot stop the rotation... You'll wish to be elsewhere than on the boat.

As an opinion, I reject all wind gennies out of hand. However, I have some effective solar with no dangerous rotating parts.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 10:20   #4

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamoron View Post
I am wanting to know if anybody has any experience with the 2000 watt Nature Power wind turbine that has 70" diameter blade pattern. I would be putting it on top of a 1.9" schedule 80 aluminum 5 foot pole that is mounted on the upper side of my solar rack. The question is why don't I see more of these wind turbines this size on sailboats? Is it just too big for its own good or is there another reason? They sell this unit at West Marine so I suppose people do install them on sailboats, its just that I've never seen one this size....I always see the Air X or the Air Breeze units that run about 400 watts and about a 50" diameter blades.

Thanks for any and all comments.
Apart from structural issues you might want to consider gyroscopic and aero acoustic issues. These will be the limiting factors.

The problem with wind turbines on sailboats is where we typically mount them. If we could practically mount them on top of the mast they would perform much better and have a more effective duty cycle.

In the dirty air near the deck smaller wind turbines will start producing power at lower apparent wind speeds. They do of course lack the top end power of a larger unit.

There is also the aesthetics to consider. Would the larger turbine look suitable. This is purely subjective but is what drives many peoples acceptance of something different.

We are actually considering adding several smaller wind turbines in place of our large fourwinds. Heterdynoing can become an issue.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, wind