Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2017, 13:00   #1

Boat: Robertson and Caine 2002
Irma killed my boat,I need a place to stay...

Hello Fellow cruisers ,

We bought our catamaran in Tortola (BVI) a week before Irma. We didn't plan it that way. My husband is still on the devastated island after having experienced Irma and Maria first hand.
We sold our house in August and planned to live on our boat which is half-way submerged and seriously damaged. A monohull landed on it.
We don't know how long it will take for the insurance companies to move. So right now Dan ( my husband) is stuck on Tortola and I am living at a friend's house while they are on vacation until October 1st.
I ( Marike) am the one in need of a place to stay for a few weeks maybe a few months. I'm sending a call for all of you who would know someone who has a small apartment ( or a guest house ) ( or a cabin ) to rent for
a great price. ( anywhere) Our budget is tight right now as you can imagine.
Dan might be able to join me eventually for a while. We hope to be able to fix the boat and live our dream again.
We are very responsible,handy,super clean and non-smokers.
Thank you all for helping us !
my email is marike222@yahoo.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dan and Marike's boat.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	245.8 KB
ID:	156665  
Marike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 15:11   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Irma killed my boat,I need a place to stay...

Anywhere? Surely there are venues that would work better for you than others?

Have you tried AirBnB, etc?

I have a guest house on the Rio Dulce in Guatemala. Quite rustic, but might be an option for you.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 16:00   #3

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

I've followed your threads about your boat. Such horrible timing and luck you've had. Perhaps think about an Rv until you get your boat situated. We live in ours 5 months a year at a park at which I work. Very economical way to live, low cost to get a decent one, sell it when you get a boat.
Old 26-09-2017, 08:21   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Insurance will likely total that boat. If I had room we would offer it to you. Am sure you will find something soon!

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 09:00   #5
cruiser

Family or friends?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 09:23   #6

Boat: Catalina 30

Hi there!

I have a 1979 Catalina 30 that I'll bee needing to sail from Moss Landing, California to the Brisbane Marina.

Ii know a 30 footer is not huge, especially with me living on the baot with you, and that 1979 is not a new boat year, but I'd be happy offer you the main bed to stay on until around November if that helps. I will be out of the country from October 20th until November 3, so you'd have the boat to yourself for those days. The only catch is I'd need you to sail 90 miles north with me from Moss Landing to San Francisco (Brisbane) sometime between the 3rd and 9th of October. The boat's engine is good getting us in and out of marinas, but I'm leery of atomic fours, so it'll be a few days of tacking upwind to get there. I'm happy to fly you to and from California if you think you can make it!

Nick

nicholaszacherl@gmail.com
zach0036 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 10:10   #7

Boat: Robertson and Caine 2002

Thank you everyone for your kind words and extraordinary offers. This is simply fantastic ! Who said that humanity is lost and greedy ? Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.
Some people right here in Florida just offered me their house that will be for sale in a few weeks. They are moving to another town before the sale so I will have a place to stay for at least a few months ( that's good ) and meanwhile we should have a much better idea on our next move. We'll learn very soon if our boat is salvageable or not. Then a decision will be easier to make.

Thank you all again.
I hope that one day I'll be able to return the favor.

Marike
Marike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat