Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2017, 17:32   #1

Boat: Caliber 40
Irma - Burnt Store Marina Update

8 PM Monday Sept 11

Burnt Store Marina 26.45N 82.03 W on Charlotte Harbor in the SW coast of Florida.

80 Mile south of Tampa Bay, 20 miles north of Ft Myers and 60 mile NNW of Irma's landfall.

300 boats in the marina and another 300 in dry storage

As far as I can see - one sailboat had a torn genoa but no other boat suffered any damage.

The storm initially sucked 3' of water out of the marina and the bigger boats were sitting on the bottom. Then The storm surge brought water to an inch above the seawall, which is 2' above normal high tide.

The eye wall passed 10 to 20 miles east of the marina, based on NHC tracks, and pressure readings from various stations in the area.

Our little townhouse overlooking the marina suffered no damage. Even the large mature coconuts in the palm trees stayed in place. The mangrove swamp in our back yard flooded to within 3' of our bottom back steps.

Punta Gorda airport is 12 miles NNE of the Marina - the highest sustained wind they reported was 51 knots and the highest 10-second gust was 74 knots and the lowest pressure was 963 millibars

Ft Myers Airport (Page Field) is 24 miles South of Punta Gorda and recorded a 954 Mb low pressure reading with 50-knot winds and 72 knot gusts.

The much larger KRSW airport is 7 miles SE of Page Field and recorded a low of 943 Mb with max sustained winds of 55 knots and gusts to 74.

We drove on I-75 from Naples (site of Irma's landfall) to Punta Gorda at 2 PM today and saw almost no damage anywhere. A few trees were blown down and a few drainage ditches were more full than normal. We could see hundreds of homes as we drove along the highway and none had any damages.

The Burnt Store Marina residential complex (500 homes on 500 acres) suffered very little damage. Only a few small trees blew over and a few shrubs were uprooted.

No structural damage occurred anywhere in the complex.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 17:46   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415
Re: Irma - Burnt Store Marina Update

Tacoma thanks for this. I have a boat in Fort Myers getting repairs done and have been sick thinking about it all weekend. Feel a little better now.
Old 12-09-2017, 18:49   #3

A buddy in Punta Gorda had power back on yesterday, no damage.
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 18:59   #4

Boat: 2009 Leopard 37 Powercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Tacoma thanks for this. I have a boat in Fort Myers getting repairs done and have been sick thinking about it all weekend. Feel a little better now.

We did just fine at Tarpon Point Marina, Cape Coral as well. Very lucky it held east of the coastline there.
David Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 19:44   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" the highest sustained wind they reported was 51 knots"
Since a Cat1 hurricane is defined as SUSTAINED winds in excess of 74mph...Amazing how Irma changed from a hurricane to a tropical storm in very short order.
So far I've only heard CBS making the embarrassing point that (aside from the Keys) Florida really needs to think about the fact that they didn't even experience a Cat1 hurricane, and FPL lost 6 million customers...the roads jammed...the gas distribution fell short...
There's a little work to be done, just in case there is a real hurricane!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 21:06   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Since a Cat1 hurricane is defined as SUSTAINED winds in excess of 74mph...Amazing how Irma changed from a hurricane to a tropical storm in very short order.
So far I've only heard CBS making the embarrassing point that (aside from the Keys) Florida really needs to think about the fact that they didn't even experience a Cat1 hurricane, and FPL lost 6 million customers...the roads jammed...the gas distribution fell short...
True, however 5 days ago predicted Cat 5. People witnessing Harvey then watching the slow train wreck as Irma sucked all life in her progress north. There is plenty of devastation in some regions. Better safe than sorry. Count blessings.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 02:00   #7

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
We did just fine at Tarpon Point Marina, Cape Coral as well. Very lucky it held east of the coastline there.
Just got word last night that my boat survived. So happy to not be homeless.
Old 13-09-2017, 04:35   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

gada-
The public response was quite impressive. I'm sure the news over Harvey helped with that. And no question, in the Keys is was a killdozer and places like some of the Miami YC's seem to have devastated.
Still...For most of the Gold Coast it was more of a great inconvenience than a real hurricane. A real Cat3 could have taken the roofs off most of those two counties--and the news only found one roof peeled, and one gas station roof-shelter thing torn off.
The big hit apparently is from FPL, who have spent 12 years hardening their network, only to still lose 6+ million customers. (Not to mention the phone and cable companies, similar but shorter outages.)

Oh, and there's some irritation with how the shelters weren't operating in the Gold Coast and other places. Folks were told to bring their own mattresses, bedding, food and water? Really? In the Northeast and many other places, shelters are set up (same way, in schools) with COTS, so the clients at least are off the floor. And the school cafeterias are opened, and foot is served for all. (Not just boxed in.) The stark "here's a roof, have a good night" staffing also has made people wonder, just how ready were things? The elderly simply cannot carry mattresses, or sleep on the floor!

Of course Florida isn't unique to find glitches. During TS Irene, Bloomberg's new shelter management found out that when supplies are being distributed on "baking racks" that are wider than the school entrance doors...yeah, that kinda slows down logistics too. (Instead of buying new racks, or finding the old narrow ones, they installed new doors in 200? schools. Gotta love it.)

Not to say the economic impact won't be big, but the VAST majority of folks will have a home to return to. In a Cat4 or Cat5, most of those places would have few walls and nothing but debris surrounding them.
Burnt offerings would seem to be in order, but in Florida? Yeah, you know, that could be dangerous too.(G)
Old 13-09-2017, 05:04   #9

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
FYI, Marco Island is not part of the Keys!

If you don't think Marco got hit with a real hurricane, bring 5 gal. of gas and some cold beer, I'll show you!

DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 05:25   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
8 PM Monday Sept 11

Burnt Store Marina 26.45N 82.03 W on Charlotte Harbor in the SW coast of Florida.

80 Mile south of Tampa Bay, 20 miles north of Ft Myers and 60 mile NNW of Irma's landfall.

300 boats in the marina and another 300 in dry storage

As far as I can see - one sailboat had a torn genoa but no other boat suffered any damage.

The storm initially sucked 3' of water out of the marina and the bigger boats were sitting on the bottom. Then The storm surge brought water to an inch above the seawall, which is 2' above normal high tide.

The eye wall passed 10 to 20 miles east of the marina, based on NHC tracks, and pressure readings from various stations in the area.

Our little townhouse overlooking the marina suffered no damage. Even the large mature coconuts in the palm trees stayed in place. The mangrove swamp in our back yard flooded to within 3' of our bottom back steps.

Punta Gorda airport is 12 miles NNE of the Marina - the highest sustained wind they reported was 51 knots and the highest 10-second gust was 74 knots and the lowest pressure was 963 millibars

Ft Myers Airport (Page Field) is 24 miles South of Punta Gorda and recorded a 954 Mb low pressure reading with 50-knot winds and 72 knot gusts.

The much larger KRSW airport is 7 miles SE of Page Field and recorded a low of 943 Mb with max sustained winds of 55 knots and gusts to 74.

We drove on I-75 from Naples (site of Irma's landfall) to Punta Gorda at 2 PM today and saw almost no damage anywhere. A few trees were blown down and a few drainage ditches were more full than normal. We could see hundreds of homes as we drove along the highway and none had any damages.

The Burnt Store Marina residential complex (500 homes on 500 acres) suffered very little damage. Only a few small trees blew over and a few shrubs were uprooted.

No structural damage occurred anywhere in the complex.
Confused-- I hosted some "refugees" from Burnt Store. They got pics and report of a few collapsed docks. Was that bad info???
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 19:57   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"FYI, Marco Island is not part of the Keys!"
You're right, Dot. But then again, neither is Marco Island at all typical of what was experienced in Florida as a state. CBS ( & me) are talking about the vast majority of the hit from Irma. Which was not the Great Hurricane that it was expected to be.
Hard questions need to be asked, as they often need to be asked after disasters everywhere. How did FPL spend 12 years (post Wilma) and billions of dollars...and still lose power to six million customers who didn't live on Marco Island, who only experienced a tropical storm?
Why weren't there any cots at the east coast shelters? Or preparation for food?
(That's a rhetorical question, the answer, as always, is "because that would cost money and I don't want to pay taxes.")
Old 14-09-2017, 05:14   #12

Quote:
"FYI, Marco Island is not part of the Keys!"
You're right, Dot. But then again, neither is Marco Island at all typical of what was experienced in Florida as a state. CBS ( & me) are talking about the vast majority of the hit from Irma. Which was not the Great Hurricane that it was expected to be.
Hard questions need to be asked, as they often need to be asked after disasters everywhere. How did FPL spend 12 years (post Wilma) and billions of dollars...and still lose power to six million customers who didn't live on Marco Island, who only experienced a tropical storm?
Why weren't there any cots at the east coast shelters? Or preparation for food?
(That's a rhetorical question, the answer, as always, is "because that would cost money and I don't want to pay taxes.")
You obviously have some beef with FPL, I can't comment, have never been a customer. Also, I'm not expecting the gov't to support me with a bed and food during a hurricane.
Old 14-09-2017, 08:41   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"You obviously have some beef with FPL,"

No, you obviously are making unfounded assumptions. I have no beef with FPL. I do have a beef with National Grid (who operate in the NE and NYC) because those pigs demanded 1000 city volunteers to work without pay in conditions that violated every safety standard and protocol after Sandy.
But it is the same complaint--bot beef--that I have for any governmentally condoned monopoly (and that's what the power companies are) which goes piggy piggy, is sounded castigated for failing to do their job (provide power reliably) and then spends years raking in surcharges for improvements that somehow don't address the root problems.
I can understand and even agree that regulated monopolies sometimes are a necessary creature. And that politicians and petty corruption may always be with us. But after twelve years of double-dipping to pay for hardening a system that lost six million customers overnight?
I'll be coarsely blunt (kids, go outside and play now) and say that the Nooze shouldn't call for an investigation, they should just skip all the fuss and run a list of stores with petroleum jelly on sale. Stock up now, it will happen again.

And I don't expect the government to feed me, but again, there's a Congressionally chartered monopoly, the American Red Cross, that is mandated to do that job. Our government has made the choice to care for those who can't care for themselves (one of Bob Heinlein's criteria for how to judge a civilization) after a disaster, and since this kind of disaster is business as usual in Florida, the local governments have made similar committments.

But if NY and Boston and Chicago and other places think that elderly evacuees are safer when they are sleeping off the floor...No really, is an army cot the same thing as a 14" thick horsehair and feather mattress? They do practically last forever, they are rather cheap and effective. And they can be used more than once, shipped around to other locations as needed.

You might consider that maintaining social order and (literally) civilization during and after a disaster, IS the most basic role of a government. A civilization trying to keep itself civilized, as opposed to a post-apocalyptic free for all.

Try processing 500 "clients" into a shelter, through some doors and past some desks. Now try it again, while their arms are full of mattresses and luggage and everything is being juggled around. Plain logistics dictates that you don't do it that way. Or, of course, you could just say "You're all on your own". That's not how this country started. It was "We're" all on our own, and "we" pitched in and helped out our neighbors. Today, we codify that under government.

Either do it right, or don't do it. But don't accept a lame-ass job, at any level.
(Key take away point!)
Old 14-09-2017, 10:38   #14

Quote:
"You obviously have some beef with FPL,"

No, you obviously are making unfounded assumptions. I have no beef with FPL.
Sorry, my bad. I mis-interpreted your previous posts:

Quote:
snip..….. and FPL lost 6 million customers...the roads jammed...the gas distribution fell short...
Quote:
snip.....
The big hit apparently is from FPL, who have spent 12 years hardening their network, only to still lose 6+ million customers.
Quote:
snip.....
Can't help with your general dislike of Government, etc.