Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2016, 13:57   #1

Boat: Boatless
Iridium/Weather/Windows 10 Question

I have rented an Iridium 9555 phone and want to download Saildocs weather to my PC which is running Windows 10. But I don't know where to find the software I need to download to make my PC be able to receive the Saildocs transmission. (The folks who rented me the phone can't help.)

Can anyone help me with this? Thank you in advance for your input.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 14:16   #2

Re: Iridium/Weather/Windows 10 Question

Saildocs will send you an email with the grib file as an attachment.

Sent from my SM-T705W using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 14:56   #3

Boat: Boatless

What I need to know is how to connect the phone to my PC as I can't get anything without the ability to connect to data.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 15:06   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

A)

If you want a grib file as an email attachment you must configure your PC / modem / phone so that you can receive your emails via the phone. Some phones have the modem part built in.

Unless your email box is with a pro service that blocks all email except the wx email, you can get a nasty surprise offshore receiving plenty of spam and no wx data. First come first served. NO no with yahoo gmail and other such nonsensical "free" services.

Look up Xgate and other in-between services, see what they offer in this respect.

(others will chime in and update me where I am off PLS)

B)

If you can access a dial in modem Internet node, you can try testing a direct request from say zyGrib. This method, however can be very overhead-heavy. Test with a plain mobile phone first, get a lean browser set up, view the data load before you do this with any sat phone. Once configured and tested, this tends to be faster than the email method.

In any case, if you want a relatively reliable service, you want an external antenna and likely an XGate or similar service in-between. And an email box where no spam nor any other content lands.

Many of my clients rely on sms wx snippets. This is super easy but requires access either to a sms wx snippet server or else a physical operator onland that will push the sms wx msg to your box (Iridium and Imarsat boxes are free, yellowbrick is not, beware.)

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 15:10   #5

These should help.

https://iridium.com/Products/Details...ction=software

https://sailmail.com/category/satell...dium-handsets/

Sent from my SM-T705W using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:57   #6

Boat: Tayana 52

You have to get the data software from Iridium

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:13   #7

A little off topic, but has anyone tried the new InReach marine weather (over Iridium too) that's $1 a forecast with no subscription? I've also rented satphones in the past but this seems an interesting alternative.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-06-12 at 2.10.01 PM.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	126015  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 14:50   #8

Boat: 42' vagabond

so far, karl
my research has shown In Reach shows your local weather forcast but no larger charts showing developing storms outside your local. it will tell you
what you already see out of the cockpit but not what is brewing 'out there'. that's what i wish to know for all the exspense of a sat phone
chuckg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 15:38   #9

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

I too have a 9555. The last I heard Iridium had yet to put out a driver for Windows 10. I was told "sometime in 2016". In fact, it looks like Iridium has not updated their drivers since Windows 7. In the meantime, I download GRIBs and weather to an old computer running XP, then transfer the files to the Windows 10 machine via thumb drive. In my opinion Iridium has really dropped the ball on this one, especially considering the cost of their service. Providers should let people know up front that their phone will not work with Windows 10.

https://sailmail.com/iridium-9555-an...river-problem/

http://support.roadpost.com/kb/artic...for-windows-10

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 16:46   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg5 View Post
so far, karl
my research has shown In Reach shows your local weather forcast but no larger charts showing developing storms outside your local. it will tell you
what you already see out of the cockpit but not what is brewing 'out there'. that's what i wish to know for all the exspense of a sat phone
Chuck,

What you see from the cockpit is what there is. The forecast tells you what there (hopefully) will be.

I think the InReach wx app limitation may be (PLS confirm, I do not own an InReach unit) that it may not allow for the movement (speed, course) of the unit, thus always giving us forecast for where the unit is rather than for the locations where the unit will be in X hours.

Correct?

I went round this limitation writing my sms snippet server that can serve wx conditions expected on a route as assumed from the unit's movement or from the operators input. You push a request sms to the server and the server responds with a wx sms forecast.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 06:03   #11
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Hello this is Kim from Global Marine Networks, a provider of satellite phones, airtime and data services. You might want to consider an optimizer. The optimizer wifi enables the 9555 and 9575 allowing windows 10, mac, iOS or android devices to connect to the phone. You can then use any standard satellite enabled GRIB delivery service including PredictWind, Saildocs, etc. or the GMN free GRIB service.
Old 13-06-2016, 07:11   #12

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
I have rented an Iridium 9555 phone and want to download Saildocs weather to my PC which is running Windows 10. But I don't know where to find the software I need to download to make my PC be able to receive the Saildocs transmission. (The folks who rented me the phone can't help.)

Can anyone help me with this? Thank you in advance for your input.
Roniszoro,

If you have the time, you may want to download a free 7 day trial of UUplus. That is the email and data service for the bandwidth impaired we use with great success. It may save you some frustrations, and it has many pre-configured sail doc requests built-in (and of course you can easily create your own.)

However, with regards to Win10, from a recent tech support ticket with UUplus:
Quote:
We now support Iridium RUDICS and the connect takes about 15 seconds when there is no mail, so it's half the time of a PSTN connect (about 30 seconds to sync). The optimizer will take nearly a minute just to connect, we'll have moved almost 40kb (uncompressed size) before that first billing minute is up.

Just a note on Windows 10 before you head out to sea again: There is a bug in the Iridium USB driver for the 9555/9575 that messes up the RUDICS connect on Win10. No problems with Win8 and Win7 (we no longer support XP). Iridium knows about the bug but hasn't updated the driver since 2012.
Therefore, if you intend to stay with Win10 as your OS, you may need to choose the 9555 modem connector that does not use the Iridium RUDICS data optimization service. [Negating some of the optimization RUDICS offers...]

There are many more details on our Satellite Communications page in case that is useful.

Best wishes getting things set up the way you need...

Cheers!

Bill
Old 13-06-2016, 08:19   #13

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMN View Post
Hello this is Kim from Global Marine Networks, a provider of satellite phones, airtime and data services. You might want to consider an optimizer. The optimizer wifi enables the 9555 and 9575 allowing windows 10, mac, iOS or android devices to connect to the phone. You can then use any standard satellite enabled GRIB delivery service including PredictWind, Saildocs, etc. or the GMN free GRIB service.
It appears that is the only solution at this time. However, it is very annoying for a consumer, who has just dropped $1200 for a satphone and $1000 for a service plan to have to cough up another $150 to get the phone to talk to the computer when all that is needed is for Iridium to update their drivers.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 08:57   #14

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I used the inreach and the ocens weather service. You can request a forecast at any lat/long. We usually request several along our route.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 09:16   #15

Boat: Amel 50

Just FYI, the Optimizer requires another subscription to XGate Satellite Mail application in order to use it with a PC...

According to the website info (Satellite Phone Data RedPort Optimizer, Router and Firewall | GMN), the Optimizer works with Xgate Satellite Mail (monthly subscription) or Iridium Mail and Web (does not run on a PC).

This really sucks! I do not understand why we need to pay yet another monthly subscription just to use the IridiumGo directly with a PC.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iridium, weather, wind