Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2016, 09:24   #16

Re: Iridium/Weather/Windows 10 Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
A little off topic, but has anyone tried the new InReach marine weather (over Iridium too) that's $1 a forecast with no subscription? I've also rented satphones in the past but this seems an interesting alternative.

Thread Hijacking
When a person starts a posting on a message board, or forum, or Facebook, that others are able to comment on, that original posting and the comments on it are called a thread. A thread hijacking occurs when one or more individuals commenting on the original posting, go off topic, creating a separate conversation. This is rude, and bad internet etiquette. If people want to discuss a different topic, they should start their own thread
lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 10:59   #17
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Hello, This is a correction on the performance of the Report Optimizer and a correction about the paid and FREE email options that work with the Optimizer.

It takes 15 to 18 seconds to get connected to the Iridium network with the Optimizer and once connected the raw through put is between 15 and 18 KB per minute. With XGate satellite data services optimization that is typically 30 to 40 KB per minute.

If you own an iOS or Android device, you can use the Optimizer with Iridium's free Iridium Mail and Web service. So no subscription is required. PC and Mac users, however, will need to get an XGate subscription which can be purchased for a subscription period of 7 days through 2 years. Average subscription is about $20 per month.

Also note that XGate is distributed under a number of different branded names and some providers such as Network Innovations (Speedmail), MVS (MVSMail), Iridium (Iridium Mail and Web), Globalstar (Sat-Fi), Telecom Italia, Tesacom (FleetMail), AST (OnSatMailPlus) and others provide it FREE of charge if you buy airtime from them.

Please note that a free subscription to PredictWind is offered with XGate and selected rebranded versions.

XGate also supports a 3 day free trial.
Old 13-06-2016, 11:16   #18

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMN View Post
Hello, This is a correction on the performance of the Report Optimizer and a correction about the paid and FREE email options that work with the Optimizer.

It takes 15 to 18 seconds to get connected to the Iridium network with the Optimizer and once connected the raw through put is between 15 and 18 KB per minute. With XGate satellite data services optimization that is typically 30 to 40 KB per minute.

If you own an iOS or Android device, you can use the Optimizer with Iridium's free Iridium Mail and Web service. So no subscription is required. PC and Mac users, however, will need to get an XGate subscription which can be purchased for a subscription period of 7 days through 2 years. Average subscription is about $20 per month.

Also note that XGate is distributed under a number of different branded names and some providers such as Network Innovations (Speedmail), MVS (MVSMail), Iridium (Iridium Mail and Web), Globalstar (Sat-Fi), Telecom Italia, Tesacom (FleetMail), AST (OnSatMailPlus) and others provide it FREE of charge if you buy airtime from them.

Please note that a free subscription to PredictWind is offered with XGate and selected rebranded versions.

XGate also supports a 3 day free trial.
I already have service for my Iridium SIM card from Atlantic Radio Telephone. So, in order to use IridiumGo with my PC I have to somehow pay more somewhere else. I searched all Iridium recommened applications and there's no free PC app available. If I'm wrong, please let me know.

I'm frustrated because I used to have Iridium AccessPoint (discontinued) and it worked perfectly with my PC. I upgraded to the newer/better IridiumGo and I have to jump through hoops to get the grib files to MaxSea on my PC.

Please correct me. I want to resolve this problem.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 11:43   #19
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Hello,

You have two choices considering your provider and hardware. You can get XGate from Atlantic Radio and Telephone where it is branded as Satphone.me for $99 a year or you can switch airtime providers to one that supplies XGate for free. See above. The XGate version at Satphone.me does include a free subscription to PredictWind.

If you have the Iridium Go you don't need an Optimizer. Let us know if you require any additional information.

Fair Winds,
Kim
Old 13-06-2016, 13:11   #20

Quote:
Hello,

You have two choices considering your provider and hardware. You can get XGate from Atlantic Radio and Telephone where it is branded as Satphone.me for $99 a year or you can switch airtime providers to one that supplies XGate for free. See above. The XGate version at Satphone.me does include a free subscription to PredictWind.

If you have the Iridium Go you don't need an Optimizer. Let us know if you require any additional information.

Fair Winds,
Kim
Thank you Kim.

You are basically telling me that I have to pay more (subscription) to use IridiumGo easily from the PC.
Also, I checked the Satphone.me website and they do not mention PredictWind.

Can I adapt/use the AccessPoint PC application to use with IridiumGo?
Will Iridium release a free PC email application for IridiumGo?
Old 13-06-2016, 14:31   #21
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Hello,

Here are the answers to your questions:

The url is PredictWind - Wind and Marine Forecast - One Year Subscription.

There is no version of the old access point mail and web that will work with the Iridium Go.

Good luck and safe travels.

Kim
Old 13-06-2016, 15:07   #22

I guess there is no simple way to use IridiumGo with a PC, unless you pay yet another expensive subscription for XGate. This really sucks!

To use IridiumGo with MaxSea, I have to do the following:

1. In MaxSea, select area for weather report and create email on PC.
2. Open email, copy body and address on a txt file and save.
3. Connect cellphone (connected to IridiumGo wifi), to PC and copy txt file to cellphone.
4. Open txt file on cellphone and copy email body and address.
5. Create new email and paste data from txt file.
6. Send email.
7. Wait
8. Receive weather report.
9. Download grib file on cellphone
10. Copy grib file from cellphone to PC
11. Open grib file with MaxSea (or any other application).

Or, pay $299/year to use XGate email on the PC, in addition to the Iridium and PredictWind (if you use it) subscription.

I would rather donate the subscription money to a charity.
Old 20-06-2016, 15:07   #23

Boat: Alan Young, Ketch, 60'

I already have the standard Iridium Go email/txt/phone Phone & Txt work great. Haven't used email a lot yet but I do want a reliable email channel. Is there any benefit in getting either Xgate or Satphone.me email software. i.e. will it give significantly better compression and improved connection.

Sorry - using it with android phone & tablet.
SV Zanalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 18:24   #24
GMN
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Iridium Mail and Web is a branded version of XGate just like Satphone.me and they provide the same level of compression. Sat phone.me and XGate are much more recently updated and support features like PredictWind weather, landscape mode and other things not currently in the Iridium Mail and Web app. Also Satphone.me and XGate work over internet wifi allowing you to download your mail when at a marina without incurring satellite airtime. Also XGate and Satphone.me have versions that run on Mac and Windows PCs. So while the compression is the same for all, there are some differences which may or may not matter to you.

Best,
Kim
Old 20-06-2016, 18:27   #25

Boat: Alan Young, Ketch, 60'
Thumbs up Re: Iridium/Weather/Windows 10 Question

Quote:
Iridium Mail and Web is a branded version of XGate just like Satphone.me and they provide the same level of compression. Sat phone.me and XGate are much more recently updated and support features like PredictWind weather, landscape mode and other things not currently in the Iridium Mail and Web app. Also Satphone.me and XGate work over internet wifi allowing you to download your mail when at a marina without incurring satellite airtime. Also XGate and Satphone.me have versions that run on Mac and Windows PCs. So while the compression is the same for all, there are some differences which may or may not matter to you.

Best,
Kim
Thanks Kim. Perfect.
SV Zanalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 06:53   #26

Boat: a sailing boat

XGate does a good job at compression. I think they also filter out spam, etc. They do not affect your connection quality /stability.

Your connection quality is driven by the quality of the hardware on your end of the wire. As a minimum I would recommend and external, quality antenna for your sat device. All my clients who use phones for data have external antennas.

And you can't beat a dedicated piece of hardware.

E.g. data rates and stability of the link via Iridium OpenPilot is way supreme over a plain phone/modem connection.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iridium, weather, wind