Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 08:35   #16
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Yes one thing i didnt like is that I can't watch HULU movies online anymore without a subscription

outside of chess, Im not a gamer, but im hooked now on teh game Newtons GRAVITY
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:36   #17

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
Shufflebaord bowling and shuffleboard and oh yea...air hockey...!!!
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:51   #18

I recently added an Apple bluetooth keyboard for my Ipad ($70). This is a thing of beauty. Slim. Only 2" longer than the Ipad. Weights a few ounces. Identical to the regular Apple keyboard without the function keys and numeric keypad on the right. Bluetooth connection was mindless.

While I "get" that the Ipad isn't really meant for document creation and I have gotten pretty good with the onscreen keyboard, it's a joy to have a real keyboard when I want to type something longer than a text message.

Has anyone tried a blue tooth mouse with the Ipad? This would let me put it under the dodger in a bag and risk only the cheap and replaceable mouse and keyboard out in the wet or with wet hands.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:10   #19
cruiser

There is no blue tooth mouse for the IPad. I looked into it. I believe there may be a hack to enable it, but its unclear to me it would work because you need a mouse cursor!

I have the BT keyboard for my MBP and use it every day. I also bought the stand alone iPad version of a keyboard so my guests can use this iPad to check email

Air Hockey - I keep losing!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:13   #20
cruiser

With iPad or laptop, one idea was to create a plexiglass washboard and have either the iPad or a small monitor rigged in a shelf/slot inside looking out made semi waterproof. This would keep it dry. If you use laptop, a mouse could be used as control.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:53   #21

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
MacSailing

Totally Mac here, our opinion is the iPad bridges the gap between our Pro's and iPhones and seems to work very well for us. We have the grandfathered data plan so not too concerned with the 2g limitation. Although, monitoring our usage we never come close. We are using MacEnc along with Capt's Cruising guides and it's unbelievable the accuracy and clarity of information. Have played with almost all the apps noted in the thread and find most very useful of course we have a couple of wants and wishes for the iPad. Overall, we are very please with our technology choice for the boat.
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:55   #22
cruiser

Can you tell me a bit more about Capt's Cruising guides?
Old 08-08-2010, 10:49   #23

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
MacSailing

The link below will take you a review and links for Active Captain software. I have to tell you I don't much care for the developer of the application but the software is very intuitive. It interfaces/overlays with multiple navigation platforms to display marinas, local information to include phone numbers, ICW hazards, very neat.

http://www.boats.com/boat-content/20...–-wicked-cool/

Forum Index - MacSailing.net - Powered by FusionBB
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:58   #24
cruiser

ahh activecaptain...ok i get it! thaks
Old 08-08-2010, 14:10   #25

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Bit dissapointed in that the sailing magazines dont include lats, or old boat.
You can download L+A for your Ipad here: Latitudes & Attitudes Issue #123, Aug 2010 [3065] - $2.99 : Seafaring Ship's Store, Latitudes & Attitudes After a short run, L+A is no longer free online. I knew it couldn't last...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 14:13   #26

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv-Mystique View Post
I have to tell you I don't much care for the developer of the application but the software is very intuitive.
The developer is a member here, and has helped quite a few people...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 21:58   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
I'm thinking about getting an iPad 3G, but am confused about the GPS support. I've gathered, more by inference than anything else, that the iPad gets GPS data first by using available wifi and cellular towers for quick location and then the GPS sats. This would imply that if there were no wifi or cellular data available, the iPad would eventually get coordinates from the GPS sats, but it would just take longer to get a fix. However, I asked one the Apple staff at an Apple Store about this today and he said that is not true -- that the unit only obtains a fix from a wifi or cell tower and does not have the ability to obtain it from the sats.

Can anyone confirm which is true? While the iPad has many useful features that I would like independent of GPS navigation, there's no doubt that would be a great feature to have. However, I don't want to be thinking it will be there when I get away from cell towers, unless that is actually so.

Thanks!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 15:07   #28

I love my 3G iPad!

I own a iPad development co., it is my understanding that if wifi is available it will use that for the first fix (example: while google earth is narrowing down your position) then it switches over to GPS when the signal is acquired so there is no waiting, it only takes a few seconds anyway, it's not like it take a min to get a fix. The accuracy of the iPad GPS is about on par with an external $200 usb GPS I have (it's really good). Hope this helps some.

Friends have jailbroken their iPads, this allows them to play flash videos and animations from the web, I have seen a hack for the apple touch (touch pad like a mouse) that does put a mouse cursor on the iPad screen, apps to print, a jailbroken hacked app that lets you plug a web camera into the optional usb adapter ($29) and on and on and on.

I use the new version of Skype on my iPad to make phone calls to cell phones and land lines (also works over 3G cell service not just wifi).

It's an amazing tool for navigation, weather data, internet, email, entertainment etc.

I use my laptop now about 10% of the time (for editing videos and Photoshop) my iPad gets 90% of the use.

ipadforums DOT NET is a good place to go for those that are thinking about buying one.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 15:22   #29

Boat: San Juan 28
Curious if anyone has used the iNavX software for the ipad or iphone? Looks really solid but would love to hear first-hand experience before I pull a $50 trigger.

Navionics continues to get better and better, but the interface is still clunky and it's over all pretty slow. The price is right, however.
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 15:46   #30

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I got the Ipad largely for the video and bookreading function with a much better battery efficincy than my laptop has. For chartering, I won't even take my lap top.

My concern is also how well it will hold up. I know many have lost Iphones to salt air, myself included which is not covered by the warranty.

One thing the apple store couldn't even answer for me when I bought mine was whether or not it accepts RAW images. If anyone has the answer to that, let me know. (I currently don't have the camera to Ipad accesories). For me that's a part of the decision as to whether or not to take my laptop.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad