Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-12-2011, 21:49   #46

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi
If you also have a laptop with nav software, check out the Splashtop app that makes the iPad a remote of the laptop. I have MaxSea TimeZero including radar overlay on my wireless Ipad that way!

Also, why pay $88 for GPS when $99 buys you internal GPS plus 3G?

cheers,
Nick.
I don't YET. When we invested in iPads we chose capacity over 3G. A simple economic decision. If I had it to do over I'd make the same choice. With an unlimited budget sure no problem but for our household generally we buy 2 of these sorts of gadgets. At the time of our purchase the gap between wifi and wifi+3G was a closer to $175. Now about $130.

I did note the xgps price is coming down and cheaper now on Amazon. ($80). If your iPad is jail broken there are cheaper alternatives. ($35-50). SC

Old 17-12-2011, 22:12   #47

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: iPad

We have a Si-Tex chartplotter, a laptop with Cmap, paper charts, and an ipad. We use the ipad for most of our navigation.
I was able to check my email 7 miles off the coast.
When we're in port and we need to find something, the ipad has walking, driving, and bus directions to where we're going. The bus directions include times, route numbers, and the cost.
One of the best things that I've ever bought.

Old 18-12-2011, 18:04   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
If you also have a laptop with nav software, check out the Splashtop app that makes the iPad a remote of the laptop. I have MaxSea TimeZero including radar overlay on my wireless Ipad that way!

Also, why pay $88 for GPS when $99 buys you internal GPS plus 3G?

cheers,
Nick.
Similar story. I bought my iPad 1 with credit card points at a rewards mall. The 3g wasn't a purchase option. I also honestly was clueless that the non3g would not have gps! Did not occur to me but even if I knew it would not have changed my decision as at the time I was not thinking iPad as a charting tool.

I had ben using my iphone for that.

Recently I have been contemplating trading up to iPad 2 with 3g this time (only for gos) but in the 18 months or so I have had the ipad I have not missed 3g at all. Wireless and free wireless hotspots are very plentiful where I am and where I go.

The external gps option has given me the reason not to upgrade the ipad.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 17:11   #49

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

any anchor alarm recomendations?
Old 19-12-2011, 17:28   #50

Boat: Catalina 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad
If you've got an iPad, you can try AnchorAlertHD. If you have an iPhone, try Anchor Alarm. I haven't had a chance to try either of these on the water yet, but both look promising.
Old 19-12-2011, 17:28   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad
There are quite a few to choose from. I like Anchor Alert myself. There is both an iPhone and iPad version with the iPad being HD. I wish it was universal but it isn't. The author is MSTApps.

I'd suggest looking at the iPhone choices because they have more reviews. Most have an iPad version or the iPhone version will run on the iPad but not be as pretty. For me as long as I hear it I'm happy. There are some that will help you figure scope etc but it's more than I want or need.
SC
Old 19-12-2011, 17:49   #52

Boat: Grand Banks 42, Hull #124, 1969

I put iNav on my iPad2 wifi and use the Bad-Elf for GPS. I also am using the Brookstone iMuxST as an access point so I can carry the various data inputs either on my iPad, iPhone or Mac Mini ( the Mini has MACENC with a gps puck). Anchor alarms aplenty, charts aplenty, DSC, autopilot and AIS and whistles aplenty. Fortunately you can weed out the extraneous stuff in preferences and have a display with a touch screen and reasonably weatherproof that matches any chart-plotter around for flexibility at well under a quarter the price.
With my paper charts in the chartroom and displays in hand or in the berths I can be pretty sure of my positions. There is a chance a person could find too much information available in these systems, something called cockpit overload I think. It has been two months since I have started putting this system together and I am still learning how to use the software. It isn't hard but I wouldn't trust myself with only two months on a sextant either.
Big water is still to come.
My real worry is establishing as isolated a power grid for this equipment as possible. I am in a wooden hull and am using APC units for clean power but hope I can spot the lightning and unhook stuff I can't isolate before a strike.

Tom
Further
GB42, #124
Old 19-12-2011, 19:57   #53

Dak I'd love to hear more about this system. What instruments have you tied into MACENC? I'm starting to think long term plans in this area as we refit our new old boat. I'm not comfortable relying on a lot of electronics but I like having a lot of data that this type of system would provide as I cruise along. Any details pros/cons would be much appreciated. SC
Old 19-12-2011, 20:42   #54

Right now I have a Digital Yacht AIS200PRO and a handheld Standard Horizon HX851 with a cradle which will connect to the multiplexer on the system. The VHF DSC ties into the iMux and sends all the various sentences for distress calls and supplies yet another GPS signal. I haven't put any transducer signals into the mix yet and rely on the GPS's in the USB puck and the Bad-Elf for velocity, track and position.
The iNavx and MACENC both have worldwide charting in the two main formats.
One could imagine a heads up display or some projection in a pair of 3D glasses what with the stuff we haven't seen yet.
On my next pull out I will probably have NMEA 0183 transducers put in for speed,temp, depth and fish. The signals will all go through the Brookstone iMux wireless net that has a surprisingly strong signal.
Old 21-12-2011, 09:16   #55

The best part of free apps is their task dedication. The best part of the iNavx, MACENC and others is their capability to unify and customize tasks. It is all software and I get confused with the myriad apps to negotiate for a more complete system so I tried to account for my weaknesses with a single dominant program. With an eight knots trawler it's not as critical as a racer or fast mover and my paper charts and compass do very well. It is neat to have all this stuff available at a quarter of the cost and to have the rest of the computing capabilities I have come to enjoy over the last twenty years. I get a backup with some interesting real-time capabilities.
It is still a wooden boat.
Old 21-12-2011, 09:25   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakToII
The best part of free apps is their task dedication. The best part of the iNavx, MACENC and others is their capability to unify and customize tasks. It is all software and I get confused with the myriad apps to negotiate for a more complete system so I tried to account for my weaknesses with a single dominant program. With an eight knots trawler it's not as critical as a racer or fast mover and my paper charts and compass do very well. It is neat to have all this stuff available at a quarter of the cost and to have the rest of the computing capabilities I have come to enjoy over the last twenty years. I get a backup with some interesting real-time capabilities.
It is still a wooden boat.
I'm with ya there Dak. I'm still one to go for paper over electronic. I do like to plan electronically but all notes are transferred to the chart. I have a close relationship to my uncle Murphy (of Murphy's law fame) to become too comfortable with electronics. The minute I relax and let gizmos guide do here comes uncle Murph.

So I stick to the lowest common denominator of paper and pencil and play with technology rather than depend on it. I am a true geek at heart.

SC
Old 28-12-2011, 02:00   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser

Lol! I love my xgps150. I've never used a bad elf but I'm not one to bulk things up since I tend to break things that way. (clumsy) I have a ton of chargers too because I tend to forget anything like that I drag around so it's easier to have them strategically scattered. I have cables as long as 10 ft. :-). Let me know what you like for which activities. I do drag the xgps around just because it's he only one I have. I can see my iPad sliding off the seat of he car and landing on the bad elf breaking off the 30 pin connector in the slot. (my luck). SC
Update on the gps. As a rreminder I have the ipad 1 eith no 3g. I bought both the bad elf and the xgps150. I road tested both in the car.

Xgps150 - the unit looks better built than bad elf. The downloadable app is cool as it provides a lot of information about individual satellite strength graphically. Useful for understanding coverage. Had to try the bluetooth linking a couple of times to grt it linked. After it linked once it linked quickly everytime. I used it with navionics and wqlked around the yard and worked as advertised. Used it in the car with google maps - doh! With no wireless link google maps will not load maps! The gps tracked fine. Booted up navionics and watched the gos track on the navionics map. To get map data I would have to tether the ipad with my iphone but my I phone is already linked to the xgps For the gps function. So, the xgps will work fine on themboat with navionics and stored maps but if you want dual purpose the ipad for shore navigation the xgps may nit be the right answer.

Bad elf - the casing is small and "plasticy" - it seems cheap. Also it is tiny and when unplugged I will need a good place to store it so it doesnt get lost. The bad elf plugs into the 30 pin port. I plugged the bad elf in, plugged a usb power cable and powered both units with one plug. I tethered my iphone to the ipad and happily loaded google maps while driving the car. My kid was also surfing the net. The bad elf worked fine. I also have a concern about banging the bad elf but the big problem is that my son or I have inadvertently knocked the bad elf loose from the ipad socket 3 times. Bad elf should have put the locking feature on the unit where you have to squeeze to release.

If you need to tether the iphone to the ipad using bluetooth you need the bad elf. If you don't need data while you are using the gps then the xgps seems like a niceer, better built unit with a better gps status app. Both do the gps job well.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 06:51   #58
cruiser

Excellent first hand account of using the Xgps150. The only thing I'll add is that even with the Xgps150 paired and in use, you can have full mobile internet access on the boat, car, or backyard using a very portable MiFi type of wireless cellular device. April will be 2 years that I've been using an iPad daily and the only way I've ever gotten online with it is through WiFi or portable MiFi.
Old 28-12-2011, 08:11   #59
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
For those trying navigation ashore:

1. With Google maps but no 3G, start the GOTO while still on wifi, and activate the first leg of the trip. Now pan all along the route to the destination and then center back on current position. Switch wifi off, step in the car and drive, the map is cached. Do not cancel nav because you can only start one when on-line.

2. With 3G give Waze a try. It's free and pretty good. I have become "area manager" in this remote part of Panama and put all the roads between marina and Colon on the map etc. A local SIM prepaid card costs $1.- and data mode also $1 for a day, which gives you full navigation for $2.- !

ciao!
Nick.
Old 28-12-2011, 09:00   #60

Quote:
For those trying navigation ashore:

1. With Google maps but no 3G, start the GOTO while still on wifi, and activate the first leg of the trip. Now pan all along the route to the destination and then center back on current position. Switch wifi off, step in the car and drive, the map is cached. Do not cancel nav because you can only start one when on-line.

2. With 3G give Waze a try. It's free and pretty good. I have become "area manager" in this remote part of Panama and put all the roads between marina and Colon on the map etc. A local SIM prepaid card costs $1.- and data mode also $1 for a day, which gives you full navigation for $2.- !

ciao!
Nick.
Waze is cool or motionx GPS Drive ($.99) will cache your maps for a (land) trip without 3G. Obviously some things like search won't work without data. For these these trips I generally use Magellan Roadmate but it is expensive ( compared to above) and geographically specific.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to try one of the pricier apps if I don't use the iPad for navigation. For the most part I'm curious. I feel much safer with paper chart and pencil using GPS enabled items as reference points. SC

Tags
Ipad

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: