Day 5 - Isnít it always the little things?
So with a trailer thatís slowly turning into red dust beneath the boat, and temporary repairs
that may fail at any moment (dropping the boat through a fence and into my neighborís yard like a beached whale, no doubt) I decided to do what I do bestÖ
The trailer will have to wait, because the compass
looks like it could use a little attention.
Yep, today Iím working on the compass
. It looks a little chipped there, maybe a fresh coat of paint
Wait, what is that plate itís screwed too? Why is all of the sheetís tackle haphazardly lashed to the rear cleat? Aww man, what was supposed to go where the compass is?
I get to Googling, and it turns out itís one of these:
Nope! Looks like weíre doing some repairs!
So I dig through a box of stuff that came with the boat (there are many such boxes), and I find some pieces that look a little like whatís in that picture. Iíve got the swing arm and the cams, but thatís about it.
So I drag the whole pile of pieces to West Marine
to try to find the spare parts
Iíll need to fix it, and I literally laugh out loud when I see how much that place charges for something like, say, a screw.
I need a store that's a little less yacht
, and a little more, say, inner-tube
So I drag the whole pile of pieces to Lowes
, and scatter them out across the floor in front of their little drawers of stainless steel hardware
. About $10 later, Iíve got enough stuff to assemble this.
It's not perfect, but neither am I!
Speaking of which, I turned the compass up-side-down after I removed it, and now it appears to be broken. The innards fell off of their little gimble, and now they seem to be pointing up and down rather than north and south.
I shook it around like a magic eight ball for a while trying to get it to magically prop back up on its spot, but no luck. Aww well, who needs a compass, right?
As penance for ruining a perfectly good piece of navigational equipment
, I had to squeeze down into the bowels of the boat to tighten the screws for the repaired piece of hardware
I fit. Barely.
Now, moving on to the next of the three million things Iíd rather do than work on the trailer, the tiller totally needs some work.
The girl I bought the boat from said that they used the fencepost because there was something wrong with the old fiberglass
one. The fiberglass
one (located conveniently in another box of parts) looks fine, but I figure I donít want to re-learn why it wasnít any good.
And besides, Iím a sucker for woodworking projects.
So in my second trip of the day to Lowes (I go there a LOT recently), I pick up a 2x4 sheet of oak plywood
, some gorilla glue, and a handful of other stuff that I probably didnít need -- but hey, buying
tools is fun!
Table saw the ply into strips, glue and clamp them together staggered.
Get back on the table saw for the long cuts, and use the band saw for the curves.
Round the edges with a router.
And finally, thrown on a coat of urethane just before bedtime.
In the background, Barrett doesnít seem too excited about spending half of the day in the woodshop. Heís sitting behind me on the carpet scratching as I type this. Sawdust makes him itchy.
So I successfully made it through another weekend without getting around to the serious business of breaking out the big freakin' hammers and fixing my trailer.
I think I just heard it laugh at me from the driveway. Oh, don't you worry trailer, your time will come!
Just as soon as I get around to it...