Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-01-2009, 12:34   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisgriggs View Post
I've been thinking about this for a few days, and every now and then I summon the courage to go out there and take a closer look at that thing.

The frame of the trailer its self is in pretty good shape. It's all galvanized and the only rusty part was the non galvanized weld on the winch post.

The springs and shackles definitely need to be replaced, and the bearings worry me because smoking one on the highway half way to Tarpon Springs would be a great way to waste two days of your vacation.

Northern Tool sells these kits for about $160.

I think it would be worth it for the piece of mind. How much to you think that boat weighs? The manual says it has a 1,800-pound displacement. I'm not sure exactly how that relates to how much the boat weights.

This kit has a 2,000-pound capacity. Think it will be strong enough?
I would go a little more than that.
That way you could have the boat loaded with gear etc.

But then I always over-build stuff no matter what.

PS When you are done buy a can of the heavy corrosion - X and spray all non galvanized metal with a good coat, wheel rims and all. You won't regret it no matter that it attracts dirt and looks like crap.

http://www.corrosionx.com/hd.html

Old 27-01-2009, 13:57   #17

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Quote:
I’m a newspaper journalist now, living in Pensacola, Fla., and I saw it when I was driving back from covering a Polar Bear Dip (one of those things where people run into the freezing cold water in January). I don’t know why, but after I passed it, I slammed on the breaks and turned back to get a closer look.

Maybe I was inspired by the crazies who sprinted into the cold water, then came out shivering and laughing, having a blast by being irrational. Maybe I was just trying to stall before going back to work.
This Polar Bear Dip wasn't by chance the one at the Paradise Bar on Pensacola Beach, was it? I was there a couple of weeks ago -- not in the water, but watching. I spend a lot of time at Pensacola Beach. My boyfriend lives there on his boat.

Great story! You'll have a blast with your boat, but you don't have to drive all the way to Tarpon Springs. There are plenty of places to explore right around P'cola.

We have a ComPac 19 that was in sad shape when we bought it. We fixed it up and enjoyed sailing. similar story to your trailor story. We wanted to move the boat to a boat storage place for hurricane season 2 years ago. We had it at a friend's dock, but they wanted us to move it for hurricane season, so no problem, we thought. The old trailer wasn't in the best of shape, but we only had a few miles to go. My boyfriend enlisted the help of the friend's son (who is in his 20s) to help move the boat. They were halfway over the Three Mile Bridge (those familiar with Pensacola will know) when a tire on the trailer blew out. We also had to rent a UHaul truck to move the trailer. Anyway, there was a police car right behind them, but they managed to limp to the end of the bridge. Long story short, we decided that rather than have to deal with the sailboat ourselves, we gave it to our friend's son, who would keep it at his dad's dock on the condition that he take good care of it,and let us sail it anytime we wanted. He agreed, and it's been a great thing for us and him.

Anyway ---
Welcome to the board. I think we're all going to enjoy your posts

Old 27-01-2009, 16:43   #18

Boat: 22' Southcoast Seacraft, 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I would go a little more than that.
That way you could have the boat loaded with gear etc.

But then I always over-build stuff no matter what.

PS When you are done buy a can of the heavy corrosion - X and spray all non galvanized metal with a good coat, wheel rims and all. You won't regret it no matter that it attracts dirt and looks like crap.

http://www.corrosionx.com/hd.html
Good call on that stuff. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!
Old 27-01-2009, 16:53   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgal View Post
This Polar Bear Dip wasn't by chance the one at the Paradise Bar on Pensacola Beach, was it? I was there a couple of weeks ago -- not in the water, but watching. I spend a lot of time at Pensacola Beach. My boyfriend lives there on his boat.
I was out at Flora-Bama for their version of the dip, but a photographer went to the one you were at. I was amazed by the turn out at the Flora-Bama one. There were thousands of people there.

I shot this video: Polar Bear Dip on Vimeo

Bunch of crazies! (And I really wanted to join them)

Quote:
Great story! You'll have a blast with your boat, but you don't have to drive all the way to Tarpon Springs. There are plenty of places to explore right around P'cola.
I was thinking about this the other day. The weather is getting nice, where would you recommend? I figured it would be fun to head out to Ft. Pickens or Big Lagoon for some secluded beaches, but that's about where my ideas run out.

Any must-see places?
Old 27-01-2009, 17:27   #20

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
Travis:
Looks like you are on the beginnings of a wonderful sailing adventure that many would envy - a sweet boat and sweet crew :-). Reminds me of my first boat as an adult - a 20-ft Mermaid wood sloop (a smaller Folkboat) here on SF Bay. Had a ball but the water here is cold - much better exploring there in FL in a smaller boat. Sailed thru Pensacola many years later in my 23-ft Westerly - lots of great places to explore. Your posts are fun reading - a novelist in the making indeed :-).
John
Old 27-01-2009, 17:55   #21
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Keep 'em coming, Travis. Can't wait for the next installment!
Old 27-01-2009, 19:20   #22

Boat: 1989 Carver Santego 3067 - BADFISH
Send a message via AIM to BadFish
Looks like you've successfully installed your own blog on these forums. I'm down. Let's here and see more.

Cheers

Bill
Old 27-01-2009, 21:20   #23

Thanks y'all. When I'm working on this boat and something crazy/unfortunate/expensive happens, it makes it a lot easier to laugh it off when I know it'll give me something funny to write about.

With the weather starting to warm up (gotta love Florida), more are on the way!
Old 28-01-2009, 08:05   #24

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Pensacola sailing

"I was thinking about this the other day. The weather is getting nice, where would you recommend? I figured it would be fun to head out to Ft. Pickens or Big Lagoon for some secluded beaches, but that's about where my ideas run out." quoted.

Depending on where you put the boat in, Ft. Pickens and any points east on the Santa Rosa Sound are great sailing. You can anchor (or pull up the boat) on the beach on Santa Rosa Island. Big Sabine is really nice. Or if you head west from Pensacola Bay, just follow the ICW. Pirate's Cove marina (opposite Bear Point) is a great place to have a burger. Get a good map/chart of the area and explore! The weather is warming up, finally!

Cheers
Old 30-01-2009, 10:23   #25

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Yahoo to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
Before you go too much further with this adventure, you need to get a blog spot of your own and start your sailing adventure there for all of us to see, make your own web site complete with all the details. Somewhere like www.sailblogs.com or equiv.
I luv everything and I can totally relate to those rusty pics and the 4-wheelin make-shift repairs we guys have to put up doing just to get from here to there.
LoL

Keep up the good work, and get that web spot goin'!
Old 30-01-2009, 11:26   #26

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
Heaven's you've run aground! Get a GPS!
Old 02-02-2009, 21:30   #27

Day 5 - Isnít it always the little things?

So with a trailer thatís slowly turning into red dust beneath the boat, and temporary repairs that may fail at any moment (dropping the boat through a fence and into my neighborís yard like a beached whale, no doubt) I decided to do what I do bestÖ

Procrastinate.

The trailer will have to wait, because the compass looks like it could use a little attention.

Yep, today Iím working on the compass. It looks a little chipped there, maybe a fresh coat of paint will beÖ

Wait, what is that plate itís screwed too? Why is all of the sheetís tackle haphazardly lashed to the rear cleat? Aww man, what was supposed to go where the compass is?

I get to Googling, and it turns out itís one of these:

Price: $150

Nope! Looks like weíre doing some repairs!

So I dig through a box of stuff that came with the boat (there are many such boxes), and I find some pieces that look a little like whatís in that picture. Iíve got the swing arm and the cams, but thatís about it.

So I drag the whole pile of pieces to West Marine to try to find the spare parts Iíll need to fix it, and I literally laugh out loud when I see how much that place charges for something like, say, a screw.

I need a store that's a little less yacht, and a little more, say, inner-tube.

So I drag the whole pile of pieces to Lowes, and scatter them out across the floor in front of their little drawers of stainless steel hardware. About $10 later, Iíve got enough stuff to assemble this.

It's not perfect, but neither am I!

Speaking of which, I turned the compass up-side-down after I removed it, and now it appears to be broken. The innards fell off of their little gimble, and now they seem to be pointing up and down rather than north and south.

Oops!

I shook it around like a magic eight ball for a while trying to get it to magically prop back up on its spot, but no luck. Aww well, who needs a compass, right?

As penance for ruining a perfectly good piece of navigational equipment, I had to squeeze down into the bowels of the boat to tighten the screws for the repaired piece of hardware.

I fit. Barely.

Now, moving on to the next of the three million things Iíd rather do than work on the trailer, the tiller totally needs some work.

The girl I bought the boat from said that they used the fencepost because there was something wrong with the old fiberglass one. The fiberglass one (located conveniently in another box of parts) looks fine, but I figure I donít want to re-learn why it wasnít any good.

And besides, Iím a sucker for woodworking projects.

So in my second trip of the day to Lowes (I go there a LOT recently), I pick up a 2x4 sheet of oak plywood, some gorilla glue, and a handful of other stuff that I probably didnít need -- but hey, buying tools is fun!

Table saw the ply into strips, glue and clamp them together staggered.

Get back on the table saw for the long cuts, and use the band saw for the curves.

Round the edges with a router.

And finally, thrown on a coat of urethane just before bedtime.

In the background, Barrett doesnít seem too excited about spending half of the day in the woodshop. Heís sitting behind me on the carpet scratching as I type this. Sawdust makes him itchy.

So I successfully made it through another weekend without getting around to the serious business of breaking out the big freakin' hammers and fixing my trailer.

I think I just heard it laugh at me from the driveway. Oh, don't you worry trailer, your time will come!

Just as soon as I get around to it...
Old 02-02-2009, 21:42   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgal View Post
"You can anchor (or pull up the boat) on the beach on Santa Rosa Island.
Big Sabine is really nice. Or if you head west from Pensacola Bay, just follow the ICW. Pirate's Cove marina (opposite Bear Point) is a great place to have a burger.
You're speaking my language. I'm ready for some warm weather, beaches and burgers.

Punxsutawney Phil only counts for up north, right?
Old 02-02-2009, 21:55   #29

Boat: Allied Luders 33
Beautiful prose

Travis, Congrats on the boat purchase. May the dream continue. More importantly, keep writing. You have the gift.
Old 02-02-2009, 22:01   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdennyb View Post
Before you go too much further with this adventure, you need to get a blog spot of your own and start your sailing adventure there for all of us to see, make your own web site complete with all the details. Somewhere like www.sailblogs.com or equiv.
I was thinking about that, but I think as I get a little further in with this project I'm going to be asking a LOT more questions. It'll be nice to have a ready supply of experts from these forums handy.

Most of my sailing experience is in stuff like Hobie 16's. They're little rockets and all, but I could probably use a little healthy advice when I start heading out in the little blue boat.

Someday, yeah, I might set up a blog. But for now, it's a lot of fun typing these up over here.

Quote:
I luv everything and I can totally relate to those rusty pics and the 4-wheelin make-shift repairs we guys have to put up doing just to get from here to there.
LoL
LoL, I've seen them BAD! We wired together a front leaf spring and axle on a jeep once with a bunch of bailing wire. It was the biggest ugliest mess, but it somehow worked for long enough to get back to a road.

Cheers!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: