Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2017, 16:37   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Internet

Free wifi , the most useless statement that marinas made. Yes they have wifi, no it doesn't connect to the internet.

Why can hotels manage to provide internet to have mereds of rooms, but marinas can't???
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 19:36   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Internet

Quote:
Why can hotels manage to provide internet to have mereds of rooms, but marinas can't???
Possibly because there are lots of hotels competing for the transient traffic, and not so many marinas.

Jim
Old 22-05-2017, 19:39   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Possibly because there are lots of hotels competing for the transient traffic, and not so many marinas.

Jim
I suspect this is a major part of the problem. Why would a marina owner spend money for a good wifi system when the marina is full anyway. Plus, if you do have a good wifi at your marina all the boat bums will just use it all the time and probably cost you more money to pay for more data usage.

I've been at marinas where the "free internet" was barely usable on the steps of the office.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 23:20   #4

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Most people's idea of WiFi is Linksys router sitting in the marina office. That's not going to work. Everytime another user connects, they add demand for the router's capability, which is usually only a few users. There are only three channels in the 2.4mhz band so any other devices will add noise and prevent connections.
In order to provide service in a public setting, we like to install a commercial solution like Ruckus. This equipment is built to handle hundred of clients at a time and uses very smart technology to do that. It also costs accordingly. Residential equipment won't work.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 23:55   #5
cruiser

It was explained to me six years ago by someone in the know. The wifi signal emits from the marina office, then you have many, sometimes a hundred boats with masts and all kinds of aluminum, steel, powerboat cabins etc blocking the signal. Then there's the tide issue of the boats moving up and down. Most of the time, all it takes is the boat next to you pulling in to block the crappy signal you were going to get.

Free wifi is what it is, we have the same issue with our office tenants. We offer Free, and I stress the word FREE wifi, but they still complain about it even though they're not paying for it.... because it's FREE.

Save yourself the aggravation and get an unlimited data plan from a cellular carrier.

Also, see the post above by masonc. Soon, free wifi will be going away as more and more people opt for unlimited data plans, so don't count on anyone improving any of the free wifi systems anytime soon.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 00:09   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Free wifi is what it is, we have the same issue with our office tenants. We offer Free, and I stress the word FREE wifi, but they still complain about it even though they're not paying for it.... because it's FREE.
TAANSTAAFL.

Just because it is not metered or separately invoiced, doesn't mean they are not paying for it.

You telling us that you haven't factored the cost of that WiFi into lease/rental charges?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 00:31   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
TAANSTAAFL.

Just because it is not metered or separately invoiced, doesn't mean they are not paying for it.

You telling us that you haven't factored the cost of that WiFi into lease/rental charges?
That's absolutely correct. They have access to our personal cable internet signal which we only use for watching Netflix when we're at home. We now use unlimited T-Mobile data for our personal web stuff.

When the cable company has issues with the signal, I don't want to hear about it from anyone. If they need signal and are having problems, they can come sit outside our door with their laptop or phone which is 12ft from the TV router. Most of them have gone with a dedicated cable connection for business.

There's no way we can offer hotel type in office wifi at prices my tenants would be willing to pay for monthly rent. It's cheaper for them to obtain a dedicated signal from the cable company over what I'd need to charge them, plus, I don't want the hassle of being responsible 24/7 for connectivity issues.

Each tenant was told when they signed the lease, that they are welcome to use the signal, but don't count on it. If they have issues when the signal disconnects them or they can't connect.... don't call me, I'm in Europe or at work.
Old 23-05-2017, 00:57   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I use wifi extenders in my clinic and home. A TP link. €29 and it amplifies the signal from the router. At home I have it 150 foot from the router and I am 100 foot further away so I get a full signal. In the office it is roughly the same...

Your tenants could buy one or more and plug in the hallways on each floor to boost the signal... works very well.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	range extender.png
Views:	253
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	148240  
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 01:06   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

THis is the one in my apartment.... without it my signal is iffy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060723.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	394.0 KB
ID:	148241  
Old 23-05-2017, 02:55   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I use wifi extenders in my clinic and home. A TP link. €29 and it amplifies the signal from the router. At home I have it 150 foot from the router and I am 100 foot further away so I get a full signal. In the office it is roughly the same...

Your tenants could buy one or more and plug in the hallways on each floor to boost the signal... works very well.

Several as in five extenders are Already in use with some level of success depending on the individual's expectations. However, the over-riding issue becomes connectivity. If too many decide to use the internet at the same time, or if one decides to hog it by downloading video content, I have no control over this, nor do I care to be monitoring their behavior. If the cable company service goes down, again... I don't want the calls or responsibility. It is what it is, If more is needed the cable company is just a call away and they can have their very own phone and cable for around $50 per month.

If I or for that matter a marina or restaurant charges for the internet, then we become the one called when people are unhappy with the connection. I don't want that responsibility especially when I have no control over the signal quality arriving via cable. As a landlord of a commercial office building, I don't want to be bothered at 3:00am in Italy by someone in the US who forgot a password or can't figure out how to log onto the internet with their pc or phone.

Another issue, is that many people forget to turn off the wifi on their phones when they come into work even when they're not using it, so sometimes as many as thirty cellphones, printers, pcs are trying to obtain the FREE wifi signal at the same time. I'm sure this also happens in marinas, hotels and restaurants, which is why they change their password daily.

If everyone has an extender the problem remains the same, kinda like everyone wanting to be first in line, but not wanting to pay extra for better service.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 23-05-2017, 02:58   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I cant imagine a business relying on a free internet in a business centre.

But no accounting for people...
Old 23-05-2017, 03:16   #12
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Free wifi , the most useless statement that marinas made. Yes they have wifi, no it doesn't connect to the internet.
UK / atlantic Europe marinas are getting so much than even just a year or two ago, many marinas I've popped into the past year or so have reliable fast wifi with antennas dotted around the pontoons.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 03:21   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I really never had an issue with Spanish marina WiFi.... they DO enforce a rule for people downloading films during the day and in general it works fine..
Old 23-05-2017, 03:27   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I really never had an issue with Spanish marina WiFi.... they DO enforce a rule for people downloading films during the day and in general it works fine..
Gary,

No company offering free wifi could or would enforce a policy like that. People do what they want to do and push the limits. No small business owner would ever waste their time by monitoring their customers internet browsing habits and behavior.
Old 23-05-2017, 04:38   #15

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

The difference between marinas and hotels is that hotels have a TV in every room.

A high-speed, commercial-grade internet connection which can support a marina full of users can cost thousands of dollars a month. But it won't help. Your marina customers will all retire to their cabins and start streaming video at the same time. Your internet connection will be saturated, and your customers will complain about the lousy service.

So, you pay for enough bandwidth to say you've got free WiFi, and people quickly learn that if they want to stream video, they need to buy their own cellular data plan.

Long-term, this is the way the world is going anyway. Eventually I suspect we will all use just one network, at home, on the water or on the road, beamed from cell towers.

There are ways to prioritize web browsing over video, if you have the equipment to do so. No monitoring required. It's just a matter of having the money and technical knowledge to set it up.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet