Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-09-2011, 23:35   #16

Boat: 36' Cabo Rico Tiburon
Re: International 'Talk Like a Pirate' Day

Yeah sure did Bangkaboat! but I knew what I was getting in for. I read the flag thread and when I learned about the ITLAPD I thought, why not post it for a laugh.

Starbuck you got it in one mate, I am a pacifist. It’s just my opinion friend, and it won’t hurt you. I really wouldn’t feel comfortable on a moral perch. I’ll leave it to other people to lecture folks on the validity of their thoughts.

Bugs bunny? Yeah probably, and the road runner too (go figure), but the three stooges leave scratching my head. Again, it’s only my opinion but football, hockey even rugby? honestly no thanks. I’ve got other ways to spend my time. I’ll leave you to make the moral judgement of which is good or which is bad. It’s just not for me.

“An eye for an eye and the whole world is blind” Ghandi

Justify whatever violence you want to mate. Start your own I hate pacifists thread if you will. Please don’t try and subvert this thread in a “war is never the answer” direction.

Arrrrr now, back to the topic at hand. If anyone feels like it, there is an internationally recognised “Talk like a pirate day” September 19. To participate all you have to do is to talk like a pirate on that day. If you don’t want to, then don’t.

SoulJah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 05:13   #17
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

To my knowledge Bugs Bunny and the the NFL haven't organized any killings lately.

Just what is pirate talk anyway? Couldn't most of it be called "old sailor talk"?

Old 13-09-2011, 05:22   #18
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: International 'Talk Like a Pirate' Day

You want to hear Pirate Talk... go to Devon and talk to some of the locals in the sticks....lol
Just coz Drake came from that way seems like the Devon accent got tagged for Pirate Speak...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 09:13   #19
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ahoy there, m'lads

To celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day on September 19th (if you don't believe me, check out the site: The Official site for International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19), Marc and I will start the season with a bang, and host a Talk Like a Pirate evening. It is a Monday, but the promise of work never put a good pirate off a good party, so we'll start at 7pm, to give our esteemed guests plenty of time to partake of our fine fair... before staggering home before sunrise.

There will be strong grog, fine victuals and loose women on offer. Prizes on offer for the best dressed pirate, and for the best penned verse to the tune of "Drunken Sailor", so get your thinking hats on now

RSVP so I can work out how many pigs to roast...

All the best,
Kate

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 09:21   #20
TEE

I no longer think pirates are cool or funny, and pirate talk glamorizes what were always a bunch of murderers. Only good pirate is a dead one in my book. If we can't shoot them on the spot at sea, we should at least be hanging them the next day on land.
Old 13-09-2011, 10:43   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEE View Post
I no longer think pirates are cool or funny, and pirate talk glamorizes what were always a bunch of murderers. Only good pirate is a dead one in my book. If we can't shoot them on the spot at sea, we should at least be hanging them the next day on land.
I think pirates are cute and I wouldnt want any harm to come to them and we should not use such harsh language and yes I am trying to set a good example so that we all are on the same page and we all think the same way and perhaps one day we could all dress in the same type of clothes and have a nice time together ..as long as we all have the same thought process and certain people are chastized when the grand poohbaas decide that someone has jumped in line on the pecking order ..I know I will probably get into trouble for being facitious and a smart butt but Im just trying to conform so as to be accepted in the estimed ranks of the sailing community......I hope my comments are exceptable and im thinking in the correct way...thanks
Old 13-09-2011, 10:52   #22

Boat: 62 Islander 24 + 88 Neptune 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Does anyone really want to discourage this behavior? Pirate Fest pics...
Not on your life. And I would encourage such behavior!
Old 13-09-2011, 11:02   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i may not be a pirate, but i do have a proper sailing wench boat with proper looks to be able to wear the proper clothes .....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 11:06   #24

Boat: grampian 26

Yarrrrrr! there be no political correctness allowed aboard this ship.
Old 13-09-2011, 11:18   #25
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Perhaps all these Pirate haters are just jealous they don't have a Pirette of their own? Probably don't know how to have fun. Too busy trying to figure out who they can get away with shooting or hanging....
Old 13-09-2011, 13:23   #26
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You want to hear Pirate Talk... go to Devon and talk to some of the locals in the sticks....lol
Just coz Drake came from that way seems like the Devon accent got tagged for Pirate Speak...
Or go to the Outer Banks NC and hang out with some of the locals, their blood runs deep with the salty talk of a sea going people...some trace their family back 300+yrs. When I first lived there back in the early 80s I had the pleasure to be the asst.manager of the Oregon Inlet fishing center and the old charter boat capts. most of which were boat builders in the off season had an accent that if you closed your eyes and listened you would have thought you were in Blackbeards Lair...cool vibes from a time long gone....now the place is runamuck with squids..and the locals are rare...
Old 13-09-2011, 13:54   #27

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I read the book published by the two guys who started this Talk like a Pirate thing, and my favorite part was:

" 'Prepare to be boarded!' does not count as foreplay."

So there . . . a little practical pirate advice. . . .
Old 14-09-2011, 16:54   #28

Boat: 36' Cabo Rico Tiburon

Hey Atoll, I like that, good philosophy, party like there's no tomorrow Yeah!
although you'd have to wonder how the islamic fundementalists would party, what with no music, no dancing, no alcohol and no women present. You call that a party?

Just thought I'd share my favorite islamic saying, I recon it's quite relevant to cruisers "trust in Allah, but tether your camel".

Tropicalescape, I liked your second post, very interesting. That's why I'm here, to drink the milk, not count the cows.

Regarding your first post and individuality, I say "viva la difference". Variety is what makes the world go round. I love the multicultural society I live in.

It seems like a heck of a lot of people these days want others to think and be just like them or they'll want to fight. These days espousing conservation or peace appear to be "thought crimes". Political correctness seems to have swung 180 degrees. Aggression and Xenophobia's all the go. Effective communication is a dying art.

Perchance, piss funny mate, best reply yet, bhahaha love it!
SoulJah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 17:08   #29
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: International 'Talk Like a Pirate' Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Or go to the Outer Banks NC and hang out with some of the locals, their blood runs deep with the salty talk of a sea going people...some trace their family back 300+yrs. When I first lived there back in the early 80s I had the pleasure to be the asst.manager of the Oregon Inlet fishing center and the old charter boat capts. most of which were boat builders in the off season had an accent that if you closed your eyes and listened you would have thought you were in Blackbeards Lair...cool vibes from a time long gone....now the place is runamuck with squids..and the locals are rare...
Ooo Arrrrr...
I've prowled the old cemetry at Beaufort and seen the graves of many ancient Brits...
and heard the tales of the disappearing colonists...
Spooky old area the Outer Banks...
especially in the fog/mist...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 18:53   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulJah View Post
Hey Atoll, I like that, good philosophy, party like there's no tomorrow Yeah!
although you'd have to wonder how the islamic fundementalists would party, what with no music, no dancing, no alcohol and no women present. You call that a party?

Just thought I'd share my favorite islamic saying, I recon it's quite relevant to cruisers "trust in Allah, but tether your camel".

Tropicalescape, I liked your second post, very interesting. That's why I'm here, to drink the milk, not count the cows.

Regarding your first post and individuality, I say "viva la difference". Variety is what makes the world go round. I love the multicultural society I live in.

It seems like a heck of a lot of people these days want others to think and be just like them or they'll want to fight. These days espousing conservation or peace appear to be "thought crimes". Political correctness seems to have swung 180 degrees. Aggression and Xenophobia's all the go. Effective communication is a dying art.

Perchance, piss funny mate, best reply yet, bhahaha love it!
One love ..Jah RastafarI..I an I Rasta

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: