Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-01-2015, 10:14   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Interesting conversation with insurance underwriter

Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
San Francisco is not Southern California. It is 465 miles NW of San Diego (think Boston to Norfolk Virginia) Calling a San Franciscan a SoCal resident would be a grave insult and implying that the strange people in San Francisco are part of the ultra-cool SoCal culture would truly offend a SoCal resident.

I do hope this comment was in jest as I am quite familiar with the geography of the state of CA. If not, please read my post more carefully where I describe storm winds both in South California and separately in SF which would then indicate I considered SF not part of Socal. Never called you a SF resident, was only describing my personal experience with storm winds in different parts of the state.

I do live in Florida but I have actually been to San Diego and SF and managed to find both without getting lost.

Vista Pointe winds are due to heating in the valleys east of SF Bay which then sucks the cool Pacific Ocean air in thru the Golden Gate - pretty much the opposite of a Santa Ana.

OK. And again, I did differentiate between SF winds and a Santa Ana wind.

San Francisco does not experience Santa Ana winds which only occur south of Santa Barbara, which is about 265 miles SE of San Francisco

Yes, see all the above comments.

Santa Ana winds can easily reach hurricane force (they did so last weekend) but very rarely reach the coast line and when they do they are rarely above 30 - 40 knots. Last weekend the Santa Ana winds were gusting over 70 knots from the NE or East in all the usual mountain passes and foothills. At the same time we, here on the San Diego coast, were getting winds at 5 knots or less from the West.

Otay Mountain (15 miles to our SE) and Descanso (30 miles to our East) were seeing East to SE winds of over 30 knots while it was dead calm here.

I agree a plan is important.

And that was really all I was trying to say.
Will not comment on the cultural differences between the various parts of the west coast except to say a certain area of CA is not referred to as Lala Land for no reason.

The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: