Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2015, 12:28   #1
Registered User
 
karenmccraw's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Oriental, NC US
Boat: Manta 40 catamaran
Posts: 108
Images: 3
Interested in making dinghy chaps?

I wanted chaps to protect my dinghy....so I asked the local sailmaker what they would charge. They laughed. Literally laughed and said I'd be better off sailing to South America where I could get them made for under $1000.

So, I successfully made my own using Sunbrella material and a Singer 4423 Heavy Duty Sewing Machine.

It was tiring but I'm pretty pleased with the results. Materials about $200 and $155 for the sewing machine from Amazon which I'll use often in the future.

Here's my how-to if you're interested.
__________________

__________________
McCraw Sails
karenmccraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 13:13   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,506
Re: Interested in making dinghy chaps?

I've found it to easier just to paint the dinghy every year or two with a coat of the special, rubberized dinghy paint that costs $50.
I priced chaps in Mallorca last season, I think the bid came in at 650 euros, so I said no to it.

I bet sewing the chaps was a good lesson in how to make canvas stuff. I wouldn't mind learning to do it.
__________________

__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 15:39   #3
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,655
Re: Interested in making dinghy chaps?

Jim & I made chaps for our dinghy this year. Humble suggestion is to read the sail-rite discussion of how to do it (we used the wrong stuff for the patterns) BEFORE you get stuck into the project. The other day, I started a thread about our new addition to the chaps, reflective piping around the outside edge of the cover. The thread is posted under the Dinghy forum.

Ann
__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 15:51   #4
Eternal Member
 
monte's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 3,650
Images: 1
Re: Interested in making dinghy chaps?

Thanks Karen. I've bookmarked that. It might be a good job for summer. I'd like to make a similar one but would love to design it so the inside flaps can be pulled together and zipped up to keep the dinghy dry and secure on passages and allow for a good place to throw the rubbish bags.
__________________
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 16:29   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,440
Re: Interested in making dinghy chaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Thanks Karen. I've bookmarked that. It might be a good job for summer. I'd like to make a similar one but would love to design it so the inside flaps can be pulled together and zipped up to keep the dinghy dry and secure on passages and allow for a good place to throw the rubbish bags.
Monte, unless you have really big diameter tubes and a small beam, i don't think the numbers work out well for that. But, one could easily sew a half zipper into the top of each side and zip a separate cover piece in when needed. Haven't seen it done, but not a bad idea!

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 17:07   #6
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Interested in making dinghy chaps?

Nice Karen. I have one suggestion before you put the sewing machine away - consider adding extra fabric chafe patches where people usually sit. One back by the motor definitely, and the other in an appropriate place unless the second person always sits on the seat. If you can make them out of old sail material or something similarly chafe-resistant - even better.

We found with our chaps that these two places wore out well before any other part of the chaps. Amazing how much of creatures of habit we are - the wear spots almost perfectly matched our butts!

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:45   #7
Registered User
 
Ndavies's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: On the Ocean
Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Posts: 164
Re: Interested in making dinghy chaps?

Looks great! thanks for posting the "How To" I am going to show my wife and see if I can get her motivated.
__________________
S/V Midnight Sun II
www.midnightsunii.com
http://midnightsunii.blogspot.com/
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:25   #8
Eternal Member

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 848
Re: Interested in making dinghy chaps?

One suggestion I have for anyone making a set of chaps, would be to consider using Stamoid as your material, instead of Sunbrella...

Since Stamoid doesn't require to be hemmed, fashioning the numerous cutouts for things like oarlocks, etc., will save you a LOT of work in the end...

Stamoid, when folded or rolled up for storage when not in use, will lay much flatter and stow more compactly than Sunbrella...

One of Sunbrella's biggest weaknesses is its minimal resistance to abrasion. I think the double-sided Stamoid is far more durable in this regard...

Stamoid would seem to be less likely to 'capture' and hold dried salt crystals than the more open weave of Sunbrella. I've heard it said that chaps made of Sunbrella can actually contribute to the abrasion of Hypalon or similar inflatable fabrics, but I have no experience to assess the likelihood of that...

Needless to say, I've become a big fan of Stamoid over the years, with the exception of my mainsail cover, all of the canvaswork on my boat is from Stamoid... anyone not familiar with the material should handle a sample of it before making a decision, however, as the look and 'feel' of it differs considerably from Sunbrella...
__________________
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:49   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Petaluma, CA
Boat: Passport 40- Wind Thief
Posts: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to winethief
Re: Interested in making dinghy chaps?

I am interested in your chaps plan.

George Louis
S/v wind thief

Glouisiv@gmail.com
__________________
winethief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:03   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Interested in making dinghy chaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
One suggestion I have for anyone making a set of chaps, would be to consider using Stamoid as your material, instead of Sunbrella...

Since Stamoid doesn't require to be hemmed, fashioning the numerous cutouts for things like oarlocks, etc., will save you a LOT of work in the end...

Stamoid, when folded or rolled up for storage when not in use, will lay much flatter and stow more compactly than Sunbrella...

One of Sunbrella's biggest weaknesses is its minimal resistance to abrasion. I think the double-sided Stamoid is far more durable in this regard...

Stamoid would seem to be less likely to 'capture' and hold dried salt crystals than the more open weave of Sunbrella. I've heard it said that chaps made of Sunbrella can actually contribute to the abrasion of Hypalon or similar inflatable fabrics, but I have no experience to assess the likelihood of that...

Needless to say, I've become a big fan of Stamoid over the years, with the exception of my mainsail cover, all of the canvaswork on my boat is from Stamoid... anyone not familiar with the material should handle a sample of it before making a decision, however, as the look and 'feel' of it differs considerably from Sunbrella...
Stamoid would solve the chafe problem I alluded to. One thing about it though, is it is very "clammy" feeling and could cause slipping if one stepped on a tube when wet.

I have seen sunbrella chaps with lots of stamoid-type material on typical wear points and butt areas before. If we get new chaps, I may consider this. I have also thought of using sailcloth in these areas.

Mark
__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:56   #11
Registered User
 
wrwakefield's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wrangell Island, Alaska
Boat: Nauticat 43
Posts: 860
Re: Interested in making dinghy chaps?

Well done, Karen.

Thank you for taking the time to create and share such a thorough how-to.

Cheers!
__________________
SV Denali Rose

Short on opinions; focused on research, facts & experience [yours and ours...]
wrwakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:36   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,761
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Interested in making dinghy chaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Thanks Karen. I've bookmarked that. It might be a good job for summer. I'd like to make a similar one but would love to design it so the inside flaps can be pulled together and zipped up to keep the dinghy dry and secure on passages and allow for a good place to throw the rubbish bags.
buy extra hypalon, is appropriate, and reinforce the areas whereon the zippers will be chafing your dinghy pontoons.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 15:36   #13
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,655
Re: Interested in making dinghy chaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
buy extra hypalon, is appropriate, and reinforce the areas whereon the zippers will be chafing your dinghy pontoons.
Good idea, zee.

Ann
__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 21:19   #14
Registered User
 
tstano's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NH
Boat: Pearson 530
Posts: 98
Re: Interested in making dinghy chaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I've found it to easier just to paint the dinghy every year or two with a coat of the special, rubberized dinghy paint that costs $50.
I priced chaps in Mallorca last season, I think the bid came in at 650 euros, so I said no to it.

I bet sewing the chaps was a good lesson in how to make canvas stuff. I wouldn't mind learning to do it.
I used that rubber paint and it got soft and sticky after two winters in Florida. My wife made the chaps because the goo was sticking to our clothes and to us. I tried mineral spirits to take it off with minimal success. Then I was cleaning the bottom and happened to overspray onto the tubes. The paint rubbed off with a soft brush. The cleaner was Totally Awesome I spent 1$ for at the local Dollar Store.

All U Get
__________________

__________________
All U Get
tstano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dinghy

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dinghy Chaps Acting as Water Scoops Ortolan General Sailing Forum 0 16-07-2011 14:00
Dinghy "Chaps" Meridian General Sailing Forum 13 21-04-2011 15:31
Dinghy Chaps? Draw String Material? JohnnyB Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 8 11-02-2009 19:23
Dinghy Chaps Question sailPDQ36 Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 11 21-12-2008 12:00



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.