Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 09:51   #16

Re: Intercoastal Height Restrictions

Evans, we determined the height of our mast in the Cape May Canal that John mentioned....the vhf antenna went ping ping at low tide, so we work on an assumption of 57 feet.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:57   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
Evans, we determined the height of our mast in the Cape May Canal that John mentioned....the vhf antenna went ping ping at low tide, so we work on an assumption of 57 feet.
Now that would make my heart stop. Think I'll stick with my method, less stressful.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:14   #18

I took 64' 4" down the ICW last winter from Norfolk to Brunswick GA. This height did not include the flexible VHF antenna that stands another 2ft higher. The antenna got quite a workout but no other problems.

We would not pass under a 65ft bridge within 2 hours of high tide especially if it was a higher than average tide. This was not particularly inconvenient with a little planning. On two days we did stop early and on another day we anchored for a two hour lunch before a bridge. The Wilkerson's "tide" is mostly wind driven. Fortunately it was low when we went through. Even allowing for that, the Wilkerson did not seem particularly tight. I suspect the 64' number provides some "fudge" for the unpredictable nature of calculating MHW when most of the tide is wind driven.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:52   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah on 'Rita T' View Post
We used to use our centerboard that same way

Interesting. I have always worked off our sailplan, which has seemed quite accurate, and we do in fact float on our lines. Hawk according to our sail plan is 75' to the masthead (without the lights and antenna) so we don't do any but really high bridges.

But this thread has given me an urge to compare a sextant angle measurement (which is dead easy to do and should be extremely accurate) to the tape measure approach (I have to go up to the masthead soon anyway to retie my 2:1 halyards).
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:18   #20

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Evans: Watch out if you are ever close to a bridge at 75 feet. I have met quite a few people who were unpleasantly surprised when they found that the sailplan or builder's stated height over the water did not match their actual measurements.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:35   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Evans: Watch out if you are ever close to a bridge at 75 feet. I have met quite a few people who were unpleasantly surprised when they found that the sailplan or builder's stated height over the water did not match their actual measurements.
We have been under a couple 80'ers ok, so we are at least within 5'

I have actually measured the rig when it was out of the boat and it is within mm's to the rig plan - but it is possibile that the mast step in the boat is not at the plan height - I guess the max variance there could be a 30cm or so from plan. I could actually check that quite easily by measuring the gooseneck height off deck and compare it to the plan.

But out of interest I am going to do and compare the total rig height sextant vs tape measure measurements.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote