Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2009, 12:18   #1

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
Integrated Harness with PFD

I am getting a new auto/manual PFD and trying to decide if I should go for the one with the integrated harness. I like that they are always available and more likely to be used - versus - they are always on you.

I saw an example at West Marine yesterday while "browsing" . I will sail 90% on the Chesapeake Bay - blue water 10% but I am of the belief you either wear one or don't bother. So, I always wear one. (The 8 year-old will ensure this.)

So...
1. Integrated or not ?
2. Any experience Good/Bad with this vest? (WM Model #: 9412677)
3. Thoughts on an extra $100 to go hydrostatic? I found a Hydrostatic Mustang for $225 with integrated harness.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 14:53   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Yes, No and Yes.

The integrated harness is the greatest thing. Hydrostatic activation too, because it is a big chance you are unconscious when going overboard (knocked out by boom etc.)

We use the German SecuMar vests for almost 10 years now and it's great. I would prefer those above any other brand by the way.

Also: fit them before buying or ask if you can return for different size.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 15:10   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
Mine is hydrostatic with harness. Issues:

- I need another harness for the times when it is too safe / hot to use the pfd,
- I wonder what happens if I go overboard and it blows up and I have to swim a couple of yards to reach the rail ???

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 15:48   #4

Boat: Tartan T4400
Get the hydrostatic with the harness.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 16:20   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Mine is hydrostatic with harness. Issues:

- I need another harness for the times when it is too safe / hot to use the pfd,
- I wonder what happens if I go overboard and it blows up and I have to swim a couple of yards to reach the rail ???

b.
When it is safe, I don't use a harness either, but we have some simple ones around. The back and neck-piece of my vest is lined with fleece, which is very comfortable even when it is hot and on bare skin.

When it blows up... you swim the backstroke!

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2009, 16:52   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are two types of auto-inflatable PFDs, the ones with the dissolving bobbin actuator, and the "hydrostatic" type which use some sort of pressure sensor to actuate. Both types use a CO2 cylinder (plus a backup "jerk to inflate" cord and a manual inflation tube).

The bobbin-type PFDs are somewhat prone to accidental inflation, caused by a good dousing from an errant wave, or as the bobbin gradually softens due to humidity and age. The hydrostatic ones require a few inches of submersion, and are triggered by the water pressure. These are supposed to be just as reliable, but not as prone to accidental activation.

I currently have the Mustang hydrostatic type with built-in harness, and am very happy with them. I previously used the bobbin-type (with harness) sold by West Marine and had no problems with accidental activation, but we have a pretty dry boat and I replaced the bobbins annually. The Mustang design is more comfortable than the older West Marine unit, especially around the neck, but I believe that the WM design has been improved in this regard.

Either of these do give you interesting tan-lines.

Spinlock has what I am told is a very nice auto-inflate PFD. It may not have U.S. Coast Guard certification, but when I last checked it had the appropriate European certs.

Having the built-in harness is a great feature, and other than a slight extra cost I can think of no downside.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pfd