Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2006, 11:22   #1

Insurance

Hello all,

My girlfriend and I are proud to say that we are boat owners! We just purchased a 1978 columbia 8.7 named Pampero IV. We are now having difficulty finding an insurance company that will cover us because neither of us have boat owning experience. I was curious to hear how most people insure their first boat when they have no boating experience? I am experienced in sailing, but it seems that this doesn't matter to insurance companies.
Tigerlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:45   #2

Boat: Islander 28 Irish Eyes
I am assuming you are more interested in liability insurance than in replacement insurance. I don't know how long your boat is but up to a certain size your homeowners insurance will cover liability. That is how it is in New York. When we had smaller boats, up to and including a Catalina 22. our homeowners policy gave us protection.
With that said I would recommend BoatUS for insurance. Have been very happy with them for many years.
Irish Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 11:55   #3

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Length

1978 Columbia 8.7
Let me hazard a guess and say this boat is about 28 feet 3 inches. I got my first clue from the 8.7 in the description from the proud new boat owner.
US residents of course are excused this complex subject, being the only country in the world to not understand the metric system.
I just do not know how the gun enthusiasts survive when it comes to discussing bore size.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:31   #4

Michael

Back in the late 1970's.

The US was trying to adopt the metric system.

But, alot of people complained. Said it was too hard! Didn't make sense! Or were too lazy to learn?

I should know, cause I was still in school. And I remember how the teachers were concerned over this issue.

One of my best friends in the world is a teacher. And me and him would joke about how some people would take the metric system, and make it harder than it sounds?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 17:55   #5

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Wrong

The U.S. was the first country to adopt wide use of the metric system. We have metric money and have had it for hundreds of years.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 18:01   #6

Not wrong

The US has gallons to measure fuel, and miles for the highways, and feet and inches for lumber. That is hardly wide spread use.
And there are still plenty of non metric nuts and bolts on my Southern US built car. Agreed you use dollars and cents. What else is metric?
Old 01-03-2006, 18:06   #7

Jentine

We might have started the "metric system?" But we didn't keep it.

But the other nations adopted it. And held on to it.

Now, what were you trying to say here. I know from your profile it said you're a teacher? And other trades.

So tell all of us what you meant, Jentine?

Thanks Micheal for your insight!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 18:56   #8

Boat: 45' Ed Monk design cutter
First, contact your auto insurance or homeowners insurance agent. The agent may be able to write a boat policy. Do not assume that your boat is covered by the homeowner policy, because that is usually not the case.

Second, try Boat US (West Marine), they will usually write a policy for a newer fiberglass boat, even if the owner has no experience.
Age of boat interestingly is more a factor than your experience. Old boats are higher risk, they have a higher rate of loss, and are more difficult to value.

Take a safe boaters class, YMCA sailing class, or something like that.

Third option, more expensive, is to contact a boat insurance broker and explain the situation and boat. Ask around the local marina where you keep the boat, or ask another boat owner, or check the yachting mags.

The broker will match you with the insurance company and good policy. You need a policy with liability coverage which is for damages caused to others including oil/fuel spills in the harbor, hull insurance covering damage to your boat usually up to replacement value, and theft/dinghy/outboard coverage, etc.

The last option may be most expensive initially, but after a year or two, the broker can usually get discounts, a different policy and you may have more options with different insurance companies.
chucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 22:13   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
And a US Gallon isn't even a Gallon
Currency being metric?? How do you consider currency metric? That doesn't make sense.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:42   #10

Boat: 1966 13' Catboat
My 30.06 does me just fine! I would like a 7mm mag though.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:00   #11

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
As with most things BAD and stupid - thank the french.
Actually the metric system was originated just after the french Revolution ... a meter being one millionth of the circumference of the earth through the 'meridian of Paris'.

The reason for non-adoption in the USA is the 'machine tool industry' as the original USA profiles of helical threads, machine tool 'tapers', etc. are (sadly - 'were') SIGNIFICALLY stronger than the 'metric system'. Hell, even the older (also now obsolete) British Whitworth System was far superior strength-wise than the very inferior 'metric' system machine tool profiles. The US (fractions of inches) and Whitworth (points) systems were originated based on ****optimized strength of materials**** - the (inferior) metric system is optimized on 'politics'. Just like ISO and CE standards.

Now you know, as now in the USA you have to put up with inferior and less strong fasteners, machine tools, nuts, bolts, etc. etc. etc. etc. Very costly - just so that one can multiply or divide by 10!!! .... a travesty.
Richhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 09:14   #12

More metric

Agreed, the nuts and bolt thing is a bit of a screw up. Calculating horsepower and tyre pressure is not so hot either, but in general the metric system is easier to use for most applications. Using entirely imperial systems wastes about four years of education.
Cement bags way 93 1/3 pounds, anyone want to tell me why?
Remember a hundred weight, 112 pounds. There is a story behind the track width for the shuttle that relates way back to the width of two horse rumps. But I digress. Distance measurements in metric are easy enough to figure out. Going back to the beginning, I have an 8.5 metre boat.
Michael
Old 02-03-2006, 18:09   #13
Kai Nui

Richhh, I still have my Whitworth wrenches from my old British bike days Not something you hear referenced every day
Old 02-03-2006, 18:37   #14

Boat: Tayana 37, M-20/I-20 Scow
Whitworth wrenches .....
Save them for:
Autos with Lucas ignitions and Stromberg carbs.
TR6s, XKEs
Taiwanese boats - of course they used the 'imperial variant' of Whitworth but the wrenches still work.
:-)
Richhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 19:34   #15

Whitworth

I still have a selection of whitworth spanners. There, you heard it twice in one day. I needed them for working on British cars in NZ, then later, on my Norton and Bentley. I am thinking I will be happy if I never own a British moemcycle or car again.
Michael