Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2016, 22:52   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 45
Insulated Hulls

I have a question about production boats (glass) with insulated hulls. I know of very few. Hallberg-Rassy builds their boats with insulated hulls above the waterline. Does anyone else?
I've read of the importance of insulation when sailing higher latitudes (condensation) but wouldn't it be just as valuable in warmer/hot climates as well?
I'm hoping there are other builders other than H-R (more affordable!).
Thoughts / Opinions?

I appreciate everyone's experience on this forum, thank you!
Mark
S/V Reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 23:29   #2

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978
Re: Insulated Hulls

Well, I am currently refitting my vessel, so I cannot address the insulation of modern units, but I for one will be insulating my hull above the waterline myself. I have to apply a new covering internally anyway because the PO stripped the material off the inner hull and all I see everywhere it is exposed is the sponge material that went under the vinyl or carpet that was originally installed in her. I will likely be putting some sort of carpeting (likely sculpted Berber) on the hull on top of some sort of insulating board material (likely the red or blue skinned material they sell at The Home Depot for houses).

I think insulation is a great idea, and would especially be good to keep noise down as well as keep temperature variations under control. Particularly as you head farther North or South this would seem an increasingly great idea.
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 04:06   #3

Boat: no boat any more

"...Hallberg-Rassy builds their boats with insulated hulls above the waterline"
I hear that for the first time....
maybe they just core it above the WL?
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 04:21   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I've had boats with foam cored hulls & decks, which, when it was cold outside, made a huge difference. And not just in temp., but noise as well. So that with the built in insulation, it would be shirt sleeve temperature inside of the boat (without a heater) when it was 40 deg. F outside. So, they didn't require much heat, & of course the reverse was true in the summer.

Adding ceilings, or insulation to the insides of the hull, & to the overhead needn't be complex. You can use 3m spray adhesive to bond closed cell foam to the hulls, & then add wooden ceilings or a cloth/carpet cover to it. Though if doing so, think out before hand what you'll use to cover things, so that it resists mildew, & is easy to clean. Particularly if you'll be heading to climates where the humidity & temps get high. Thus inviting mold to grow on, & in things. Ergo ease of cleaning is vital.

That said, I insulated a 35' boat solo in a weekend. So it's fairly easy to do.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 07:24   #5

Location: Jane Bay, Barkley Sound, West Coast Vancouver Island
Boat: Cooper, Banner 37'

Etap sailboats. Made in Belgium, they are not only thermally insulated, but the closed cell foam used makes the vessel unsinkable. I recall seeing pictures of an Etap that was actually tidal from a sliced open hull in the quarter, and the deck was still above the water.
seamountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 08:39   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. They are quite common. Built as early as 1964 or even maybe earlier.

They are cool in hot and warm in cold, they are quiet inside when you bash. Etc. etc. etc. loooong list of pluses, few minuses.

Many Swedish boats built like this. Look up HR, Regina, Malo, Najad, Swede, Helmsman, Laurin, etc. etc. etc.

I think also possibly Dutch Contests, US Morris etc. quality boats. British Sadler, Belgian Etap. Etc.

Many.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 14:54   #7

Boat: Liberty 458

Our Liberty 458 circa 1984 is insulated above and below the waterline. Solid fiberglass hull not cored.

There are gaps including the sail locker, deck to hull interface and aft adjacent the transom. Consensation is evident in winter were its not insulated.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 15:37   #8

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
"...Hallberg-Rassy builds their boats with insulated hulls above the waterline"
I hear that for the first time....
maybe they just core it above the WL?
Some will argue, no doubt there, but surely a cored hull is insulated by default.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 18:27   #9

Boat: Cabo Rico 45

Thanks for the comments thus far.
Yes, the hull is cored with closed cell PVC foam. The only other way to insulate after construction is like Uncivilized mentioned, with insulation and adhesive (as far as I know). Is there a downside to cored hulls that I'm not aware of?
I just see all upsides regarding the insulation factor. Since I have ambitions to sail higher latitudes (inside passage of AK), I"m looking specifically for boats such as H-R. It would just be nice to find a more affordable option with similar qualities. The H-R's are Expensive!
S/V Reveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 18:47   #10

Boat: Skookum 47

My Skookum is insulated from the factory. The foam is attached via a single layer of fiberglass cloth - I think it's around an inch or two. Not much, but makes it makes a big difference when the air/water is cold. The entire ceiling has half inch foam too. It really keeps in the heat when the diesel stove is going.
SF Bay Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull