Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 08:02   #1

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now
Inside Paint Question

Prolly been asked before, but the search feature is very lenghty in its results, and I know this has been answered already countless times, so here is one more.

What kind of paint can I used to paint the inside of the boat. Can I get by with a premium oil based exterior house paint?

I have SeaLux paneling, and it is getting that " I am a 40+ year old boat look", is there anything I can buy to freshen/brighten it up with?

Yesterday, while I was cleaning up some old "former duct tape areas" left by the PO, i was using goo-gone, and I admired the wet look of it on the sole, but it faded away after it dried. Would like to know if there is something besides Pledge, I could use to get that wet look back. The interior wood trim is varnished teak, well most of it is, and the rest is just teak with some kind of finish on that. Aside from doing a stripping and refinish, curious to know if there is something I can just wipe over and get that wet look.

Since I am a 1000 miles away from my home port, and bobbing on a mooring ball here in key west, the idea of sanding and refinishing while floating around is a little more than I would want to start doing, as I may get a bug to weight anchor and get back to this sailing stuff tomorrow. Dont know how some of ya can just sit in a marina weeks on end. After 3 or 4 days in one place I get the urge to seek new scenery.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:18   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Inside Paint question

This last time I went with bilge paint. It seems the big hardware stores no longer sell oil based paints any more. So one has to go to the known paint suppliers, and they charge just as much as the marine supply. So what the heck! I just go to the marine supply now, period!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:55   #3

Don't use oil based exterior house paint on the interior (of anything). That stuff outgasses for days and would make you sick.

I've seen two options. Boat manufacturers usually use "topcoat" which is basically a gelcoat with waxy additive to cover the surface while it cures. It's obviously as durable as gelcoat, and good for covering rough interior like exposed mat or cloth.

Another option that was written up in Practical Boat Owner is acrylic (aka latex) interior paint. Yes, plain ole indoor latex paint! Here are the reasons:

- it's inside, not exposed to the elements
- the better quality paints are long-lasting and washable
- latex coatings BREATHE, so you don't get peeling/blistering from moisture build-up behind it
- sticks well to most surfaces without elaborate preparation. Usually a good wash to remove dirt and grease is all that's required.
- easy to apply, super easy to clean-up afterwards
- low odour, fast dry
- common and inexpensive, so you can paint every 5 years if you want

I haven't yet tried this, but after reading their explanation, it seemed logical. I would choose a good grade of scrubbable kitchen- or bathroom-grade latex paint with the desired gloss.

For heavy-wear areas (eg companionway) gelcoat is probably better.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

I too, would use an acrylic latex primer, finished with a 100% acrylic latex paint.

Is "SeaLux paneling" similar to a PVC Tub/Shower Surround?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:02   #5

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I too, would use an acrylic latex primer, finished with a 100% acrylic latex paint.

Is "SeaLux paneling" similar to a PVC Tub/Shower Surround?
Nope, its not that. I took this off the seafarer website, that sorta explains what it is, but not how to spruce it up, with a wipe down.

"Sea-Lux Interior Finish. All surfaces in Seafarer interiors are smooth, beautiful and easy to maintain. Wood trim is solid teak. Wood panels are finished using a sophisticated vacuum form vinyl clad process using 240 degrees of heat and 38 lbs per square inch of pressure. This modern process results in panel surfaces which have three times the abrasion resistance of Formica, yet retains the texture and grain colors of natural teak. The interiors of all lockers are smooth fiberglass lined to stay dry and clean, permanently free of condensation and dirt. This is Sea-Lux, beautiful to look at and even better to live with!"

Thanks for the advice on the paint. Guess I will rent a shop vac, and get to scraping, and taping.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:39   #6
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Often when cruising ill grab my big knife and strip some varnish off teak. People will argue about this but there's nothing better than a big stiff bladed razor sharp knife for stripping, smoothing and taking it dpwn to smooth bare wood. Saves a buck or two on sandpaper too. I just rub coconut oil into it from the galley. I like being able to give it a good scrub and oil then have a fresh glow often, more than, varnish and it looks progressively worse till its time to strip and varnish again.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:03   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Before undertaking your project, you might stop by the local library and/or the used bool stores in town and see if you can find a copy of Don Casey's book, "This Old Boat". It includes an excellent chapter on exterior and interior painting, "Brush & Roller" commencing on page 320. When we renovated our prior yacht, a 1976 Cal 2-29, we found Casy's book a valuable resource.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 19:16   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '79 Pearson- 365 ketch,# 264 hull
Re: Inside Paint Question

We re-painted some of our interior. Did the formica counter tops with a fuax granite look with a top coat, looks awesome and seems to be lasting. For the interior areas we used some stuff from HomeDepot, it's a bonding primer for just about any surface your in question about. It's meant to stick to fiberglass, formica, plastic,etc.. cheap too. Then we just picked out a color we liked of good interior paint and it turned out awesome. Just ask the paint chick at homedepot how to paint fiberglass and tell her your situation, they are pretty well trained. The stuff we put on the counters just makes the whole interior look cool. It really does look like granite, made just for the purpose of old formica, w/ a bonding ageant, and is about 30 bucks for a kit. You can get them at walmart and it's pretty simple. I'll add some picks when I can.
Orrjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 19:33   #9

blackoak,
I was a residential painter contractor for many years, and I would NEVER put latex house paint, interior or exterior, on my boat. the breathe-ability of latex is a non issue if you are applying it to a non porous surface such as fiberglass or gel coat. if paint peels or bubbles, it's because the underlying surface was not prepped correctly. oil base paint is much harder than latex. the finished product will be smoother and less porous. oil basepaint resists scuffinging and scratches way better than latex. also, oil base is more resistant to chemicals. oil is a pain in the arse to work with, you are supposed to wait 24 hours between coats, and it stinks for a couple of days, but it is definitely worth the effort. Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore both make high quality exterior oil based paint and primer. Zinzer 123 is an awesome lacquer base primer that you can get at Home Depot. it will stick to anything, even glass pane. that should keep your sanding to a minimum. the most important thing is to make sure that the surface your painting is clean of all chemicals, grease, dust etc cetera. and dry. otherwise it will be peeling off down the road. if you decide to go with latex, you should still use an oil base primer . it will adere to the fiberglass better than a latex primer.
my2cts
good luck
scoundrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 20:02   #10

I used some latex gloss paint inside the boat once. Wouldn't do it again. It is somewhat like the Silicone caulk problem. It goes on nice, looks nice, is reasonably durable, but the end-game is a disaster. When it fails it is a mess. It cannot be simply sanded and refreshed on typical boat surfaces.

I use Interlux/International Brightsides enamel on the interior. It is very well formulated to brush on easy (use the brushing reducer) and looks good - glossy. Very durable. Simple to refinish. Great inside lockers and cabinets.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 21:21   #11

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
Prolly been asked before, but the search feature is very lenghty in its results, and I know this has been answered already countless times, so here is one more.

What kind of paint can I used to paint the inside of the boat. Can I get by with a premium oil based exterior house paint?

I have SeaLux paneling, and it is getting that " I am a 40+ year old boat look", is there anything I can buy to freshen/brighten it up with?
Funny, just started reading the latest issue of GOB's newsletter and this topic was addressed:

slightly cheaper and definitely safeer would be acrylic (water based) exterior house paint.

Looks a bit better and perhaps lasts a little longer would be one-part urethane like Brightside. Wear a respirator when applying this product.

Don't even thing about a 2-part concoction.

Edit: A little more research indicates that if you want to go with acrylic, get a more expensive one. It will have a lot less vinyl and PVA in it and more acrylic which is what you want in a marine environment.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:49   #12

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Our previous owner painted the interior with sears weatherbeater latex. I hate the stuff. It peels off, and isn't hard. Mildew loves it. I've been peeling it off for years now
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:02   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

On a boat I do use and in your case would use oil based one part Interlux, Petit or Z-Spar marine enamel, all of which you can get at an online marine distributor like Defender or at West Marine. It is tougher than water based paint. For interior paint, I like Petit a little better than the others. I don't know why but the results seem to be better. My second choice is Interlux.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 13:11   #14

Boat: Watkins 29'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrjames View Post
We re-painted some of our interior. Did the formica counter tops with a fuax granite look with a top coat, looks awesome and seems to be lasting. For the interior areas we used some stuff from HomeDepot, it's a bonding primer for just about any surface your in question about. It's meant to stick to fiberglass, formica, plastic,etc.. cheap too. Then we just picked out a color we liked of good interior paint and it turned out awesome. Just ask the paint chick at homedepot how to paint fiberglass and tell her your situation, they are pretty well trained. The stuff we put on the counters just makes the whole interior look cool. It really does look like granite, made just for the purpose of old formica, w/ a bonding ageant, and is about 30 bucks for a kit. You can get them at walmart and it's pretty simple. I'll add some picks when I can.
I have a tired Formica top that needs a make over, would be interested in seeing you pix when you get a chance to post.

Regarding latex paint... My boat 29' Watkins, has a teak paneling that was in need of help, I reluctantly used interior latex from Lowes and I'm very pleased with the results. The paneling was scared and scuffed with screw holes everywhere from mounting junk to the bulkheads. I sanded, filled the holes and scars, and primed and painted with latex, looks awesome, I varnished the teak trim that borders the paneling and it looks like a different boat, no more dark cave.
Old 02-02-2013, 17:07   #15

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Vogdes View Post
I have a tired Formica top that needs a make over, would be interested in seeing you pix when you get a chance to post.
Here ya go.............. Resurfacing a Kitchen Countertop : How-To : DIY Network

Tags
paint