Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2017, 12:55   #1

Boat: Seaward 22
Injectadeck - Thoughts?

Stumbled upon this stuff on the web. Thoughts?

Injectadeck | The soft boat deck repair.

I have no affiliation with the product.

Regards,
ODB
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 13:21   #2

Boat: 41' yawl
Re: Injectadeck - Thoughts?

I bet it's really good at turning a wet, spongy deck into a wet, spongy deck with some foam squirted in it.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2018, 23:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
Stumbled upon this stuff on the web. Thoughts?

Injectadeck | The soft boat deck repair.

I have no affiliation with the product.

Regards,
ODB
It worked well for me and I passed the moisture meter test after I had already failed. I would use injectadeck for other applications like packing my fuel tank in place when it arrives.
Flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 05:22   #4

My concern is that most of their talk is about passing a moisture test, or rescuing a boat sale. It really comes off as if they are touting this as a quick band-aid, so you can pass the real problem on to someone else. Of course, that's exactly what a lot of people would like to be able to do.

I don't doubt that it does what it claims that it does. It just sounds to me like a very short-term approach to addressing the problem. I suspect that, after you've injected the soft spots this year, the rot will continue to spread and you will be injecting other spots next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, and...

Personally, as much effort as it is, I think I'd rather just take care of the problem, get rid of the rot, and be done with it.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 19:05   #5

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flcracker View Post
It worked well for me and I passed the moisture meter test after I had already failed. I would use injectadeck for other applications like packing my fuel tank in place when it arrives.

I have been considering using this product for my deck. However, I have not been able to get my head around the process of actually doing it. So, if it is not to much to ask, could you detail the methods and techniques you used to applied the Injectadeck.

Thank you very much,

Paul
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 19:47   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Injectadeck - Thoughts?

Injecting disbonded cores on honeycomb material is they way it’s fixed on aircraft, adds a ton of weight of course, but does return structural integrity, however if there is any moisture that has to be removed first.

This inject a deck reminds me of sawdust in the rear end of a car, unless of course you can completely remove the moisture and any rotten core.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 20:44   #7

Boat: Ericson 32-2

Actually Injectadeck says that it needs a little moisture to work. I believe I seen a video of him actually saying to drill holes in the deck and if the wood is dry rotted to spray it down with water to moisten the core a little before injecting.
AKPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 22:01   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I just replaced a section of deck that had the consistency of potting soil. I was able to pull the skin off with two fingers, since there was nothing there other than wet mulch. I didn't have to scrape the core out so much as scoop it up.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe for one second that there is anything you can inject on top of 1/2-inch of wet topsoil that will fix anything properly. Stiffen it some? Sure, there is probably some local bonding near the injection site, but it will probably shear withing months of foot traffic. Pass a moisture test? All it needs to do is provide some insulation.

A proper repair? I'm not seeing it. Really, there's wet much in there! That's not a properly prepared bonding surface.

Old 26-03-2019, 09:23   #9

Boat: Aloha 32

This is something I'd like to see Practical Sailor test.
Jules_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 08:53   #10

Hi, I am new to boat ownership ( I have worked on boats and driven friends boats)and was cruising the forum when I saw the comment you made about Practical Sailor- so I started " googling" them and saw mixed responses.
Do you think that they still are a good resource? With the internet and forums such as this one- I am wondering about their reviews and suggestions. Thank you
Guppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 10:03   #11

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

There is only one way to fix a rotten core. You have to cut it open and replace the core. Nothing else will fix it. No need to even look at these products.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 10:30   #12

I am not asking about Injectadeck- I am asking about the validity of Practical Sailor!
And, for the record, Injectadeck is for small soft spots and yes, it is a " band aid", I looked it up- it does not claim to be a replacement for the core.
Guppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2019, 12:15   #13
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_M View Post
This is something I'd like to see Practical Sailor test.

In fact, it has been put on the schedule.

If any alternative approaches are suggested, they will be tested side-by-side.

If I were rebuilding a boat for my use (and I have done this), I'd cut it open, clean things out, and rebuild like new. How else can you be sure of the bond and the core, unless the surfaces are cleaned, dried, and prepped? I also sail multihulls, where added weight and lost stiffness are sins.

That said, There are people with good old boats that day sail and explore bays. Cutting the boat in half to repair a few spongy area, assuming they are not structurally vital (around chain plates etc.), might not be the smart answer for them. Their DIY skills are limited and a pro repair would exceed the value of the boat. Realistically, they are not going to get the core dry in most cases. So I think it is worth exploring injection repairs under a variety of conditions.

I won't know until I run some tests.

(This is the cover I mentioned above (F-24 MK I), after proper core replacement but before painting. Not that hard, but this is not my first fiberglass rodeo. For example, I stretched my PDQ to add a boarding platform. There are a lot of learned skills in such a project.)

Old 23-05-2019, 13:11   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

All of the self-expanding polyurethane foams, and for that matter even polyurethane furniture glue (Gorrila Glue) needs SOME moisture to cure properly. With the furniture glues they'' tell you to run a wet sponge or rag over the wood to dampen it before applying the glue.

But there's a difference between "some moisture" and applying the foam over a soggy mess. You'd still want to clear out the soggy mess and any weak material before applying the foam, just don't make the cavity bone-dry before you foam it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2019, 16:34   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Any of that stuff has to be like saw dust in a rear end. If your dishonest it might get a boat sold, but it’s not going to last. It didn’t “fix” the leak and won’t last I wouldn’t think.

Honeycomb in aircraft when it gets voided from impacts usually is “fixed” by injecting adhesive, but it’s a botch repair usually and can be problematic as it is a hard spot in otherwise a material that has some give, so it can be a stress riser etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck