Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 20:08   #1

Boat: 1985 Whitby Alberg 37 - "Lazy Gecko"
Information/sailing caribbean

Hi all!

We are a husband and wife team, the hubby is retiring from the Marine Corps after 21 years this November. We are planning moving to St Pete, Fl and going full speed on our plans to sail the Bahamas and Caribbean for about a year. He does have some sailing/boating experience but is still attending all ASA classes as soon as we arrive to gain skills, then we plan to purchase a boat and sail daily until we decide to depart for the south!

We are looking for solid advice to help us narrow down our boat to a few choices. Mainly a vessel for Florida to Bahamas to Caribbean cruising and living. We want something 40 feet and under. Displacement is concerning us. Too much and it might be a bit slow/hard to get around. Too light and be bobbed around too much or just too light for a liveaboard.

Any suggestions? We've been looking at 17k disp and above but would love suggestions! We seem to like Hunter, Endeavour (although heavy) and Brewers.

Thanks in advance!
Lazy Geckos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 20:54   #2

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)
Re: Information/sailing caribbean

What a retired ocean going bell hop needs is a catamaran. Perfect for that kind of cruising. Thank you for your service to our country!
Old 05-02-2015, 05:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXer54 View Post
He does have some sailing/boating experience but is still attending all ASA classes...
I hope that YOU are planning to attend those classes also. What are you going to do if he is injured or falls overboard? And on those overnight passages you are going to have to trade off being in command. You need to know just as much about sailing the vessel as he does.

Good luck.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 06:02   #4

Boat: Shopping...

What is your boat budget?
Old 05-02-2015, 07:39   #5

Yes, I am also planning on taking the 101-105 courses, he will be taking more. We are looking for a boat under 100k. We don't need the best thing in the water....just safe, can sail the caribbean comfortably, doesn't look run down. Our list so far is:
35 to 40 feet
17000 disp at least
<5 ft draft for Bahamas and Caribbean cruising
Hunter, endeavour, brewer, sabre seem good

I am not partial to the v-berth as I've slept in them many times...we would prefer to have a bed we can sleep in that's normal shape. Hunters seem to have the most of these but we aren't too familiar with that brand of boat. His sailboat experience is on custom boats (30ft) and my boating was mostly on SeaRays.

Thanks so much for your opinions!
Old 05-02-2015, 10:46   #6

Boat: Tayana 52

For your current plans I think a Hunter would be a good choice but at 40 foot not sure if you would get 5'. We were a 43 Hunter with 5'6"
Draft and could get into Hopetown. Sailed the popular spots in the Caribbean with no problems at that depth. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrycooper56 View Post
For your current plans I think a Hunter would be a good choice but at 40 foot not sure if you would get 5'. We were a 43 Hunter with 5'6"
Draft and could get into Hopetown. Sailed the popular spots in the Caribbean with no problems at that depth. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Great! I've read draft under 5' is the way to go but if it's possible up to 5'6" then that helps! No issues with your Hunter then?
Old 05-02-2015, 11:42   #8

Boat: Tayana 52

No issues really from Florida to Australia

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib, sail, sailing