Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2016, 12:24   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Inflatables V's Tinnies as a tender

Please have a look at AquaCraft - right there in Australia. If you look at the dinghy that S/V Delos use on their YouTube blog you'll see a 3.4m in action.
These are slightly pressurised aluminium RIB style dinghies and are simply amazing.

We bought our 3.4m new whilst the kids 2.6m was second hand. Massively stable and huge space. Both will take up to 30hp. If you feel so inclined (I dont) then you can fit a 25hp, run it up to top speed and simply slam the helm right over. It literally just rips a 90 degree turn if you can hang on. We have a 3.5hp Malta, a 5hp, a 15hp Enduro and a 25hp Enduro (all 2-stroke Yams) between the two dinghies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Hi

I have a 3.1m inflatable and for its length it has very little room. I'm looking for a tender, a crabbing, a fishing, and an exploring boat rather than just a tender. I was thinking of a 12' tinny and some fender material attached to it.

Not many use tinnies for tenders from the boats I've seen is there a good reason for this.

I understand that it will be harder to get in and out of and may make noise lapping in the water but is there any other drawback?

Thanks
Dave
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 17:16   #17

Boat: Leopard 47

Someone mentioned OCTenders. I second that. It's an extremely well designed product sold by wonderful people. IMO it's the only purpose-designed yacht tender. Each tender is custom made at a reasonable price. A large number of clever options are available - including an alloy bash-plate.

We see them all over the place here in Fiji. They are extremely lightweight, strong, and stable. The first time you drag one up the beach you'll wonder why inflatables still exist.
rmarsh3309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 17:41   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarsh3309 View Post
Someone mentioned OCTenders. I second that. It's an extremely well designed product sold by wonderful people. IMO it's the only purpose-designed yacht tender. Each tender is custom made at a reasonable price. A large number of clever options are available - including an alloy bash-plate.

We see them all over the place here in Fiji. They are extremely lightweight, strong, and stable. The first time you drag one up the beach you'll wonder why inflatables still exist.
And at $6000 + motor etc , what a bargain.

Do they come with galley up option?
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 17:42   #19

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Life View Post
Octenders.com is another site for hardshell tenders. You guys down under get all the cool boats!
Yes, it seems they do! "thou shall not covet thy neighbors tender....thou shall not covet thy neighbors tender...". (sigh)
Old 28-09-2016, 17:56   #20

Boat: Leopard 47

Don't forget, the prices are in Kiwi Dollars!
rmarsh3309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 19:39   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarsh3309 View Post
Don't forget, the prices are in Kiwi Dollars!

Don't forget , the price doesn't include 15% GST or the freight!
Seaslug Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 21:41   #22

Boat: '46 Creekmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Please have a look at AquaCraft - right there in Australia. If you look at the dinghy that S/V Delos use on their YouTube blog you'll see a 3.4m in action.
These are slightly pressurised aluminium RIB style dinghies and are simply amazing.

We bought our 3.4m new whilst the kids 2.6m was second hand. Massively stable and huge space. Both will take up to 30hp. If you feel so inclined (I dont) then you can fit a 25hp, run it up to top speed and simply slam the helm right over. It literally just rips a 90 degree turn if you can hang on. We have a 3.5hp Malta, a 5hp, a 15hp Enduro and a 25hp Enduro (all 2-stroke Yams) between the two dinghies.
Just ordered one of these myself! The exact one that the Delos crew sports around in. I believe they named theirs Maggie. Glad to hear you love it too! Mike is running a sale 50% off the little tenders right now! I couldn't resist. Had to get one!
jordiebsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 23:24   #23

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

The issue of difficulties with fendering hard dinks is really overstated. Ditto on their supposed lack of stability, unless using it as a dive platform. And having a tender which you needn't worry about poking holes into it is almost priceless for something which will be worked hard, especially for fishing & things of that nature. Including being able to dump an anchor into it without concern.

However, depending on it's design & construction, this can come at the cost of top speed/ability to plane. Though you do get better rowing performance, with the speed of this varing with; design, boat size, & the rower. And having the option of going ashore without the OB is nice to have. Especially in areas where theft is more of a concern.

One other consideration may be overall weight, depending on how much you beach your dink, & subsequently have to drag it above the reach of the tide & back again. As extra weight really adds up when doing this frequently.

PS: Hull flare is your friend when it comes to stability. Try out a (good) dory for an eye opening demo of this.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 00:19   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Totally agree. Our tenders are definately heavier than advertised but we always use wheels. The guy (Mike) that makes our OceanCraft dinghies claims that that it shall be quicker than a comparable sized dinghy from another manafacturer with the same engine. I dont know if this is correct but they both are plenty quick enough and we can just plane the the 3.4m with six of us with a 25hp (and Im pretty big at 6'6", 260lb). The kids can plane their 2.6m with their 15hp. I have never used a similarly sized dinghy / outboard where that was the case. More importantly is the stability and sheer capacity/volume. When we bought we ordered the integral all around fender which attaches via a bolt rope track (c section) - this full length fender also flips up to reduce spray - a clever idea that actually works. With the integral fender we dont get that annoying clunk-clunk either when at anchor. We also ordered the front locker with lockable lid that acts a secure step as well as brackets and goal post frames fore and aft to enable a rag top to be added when out fishing or when shelter is wanted (still have to make the cover though). We use ours extensively for scuba diving and they are both rock solid. We are super happy with our dinghies and they are very distinctive which we hope reduces the likelihood of someone else coveting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
The issue of difficulties with fendering hard dinks is really overstated. Ditto on their supposed lack of stability, unless using it as a dive platform. And having a tender which you needn't worry about poking holes into it is almost priceless for something which will be worked hard, especially for fishing & things of that nature. Including being able to dump an anchor into it without concern.

However, depending on it's design & construction, this can come at the cost of top speed/ability to plane. Though you do get better rowing performance, with the speed of this varing with; design, boat size, & the rower. And having the option of going ashore without the OB is nice to have. Especially in areas where theft is more of a concern.

One other consideration may be overall weight, depending on how much you beach your dink, & subsequently have to drag it above the reach of the tide & back again. As extra weight really adds up when doing this frequently.

PS: Hull flare is your friend when it comes to stability. Try out a (good) dory for an eye opening demo of this.
Old 29-09-2016, 00:40   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You'll love it - just make sure you get some wheels for it unless there are six of you. Depending on the wheels, you'll also need a packing spacer as the hull has a small return to the transom. These are dry dinghies and can really be used safely in big sea's. They can be a handful though to bring back on board. Ours live on the aft swim platform and nest. For any major trip we place the 2.4 upside down on the foredeck using the intergral fender as chafe protection. The 3.4 stays on the swim platform with the 25hp mounted and a cover over the whole to shed any green water (never happened yet).
I would be interested to hear what motor(s) you are strapping on. I will be getting a brand new Yam 25hp Enduro shortly to replace our existing - it was a toss up with the Tohatsu 30hp which seems to be every bit as good - but I know the Yam Enduro and also have spare parts galore. The only reason for buying a new Enduro was that ours was dropped a few months ago from about two meters high onto concrete on to the skeg and now has a vibration that means a new leg is required.
We also have a small pottering engine and really love the Yam Malta 3.5hp - bought second hand in around 1995. The kids use a 15p Enduro, bought new, as their big engine and a second hand 5hp Yam 2 stroke as their pottering motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordiebsocal View Post
Just ordered one of these myself! The exact one that the Delos crew sports around in. I believe they named theirs Maggie. Glad to hear you love it too! Mike is running a sale 50% off the little tenders right now! I couldn't resist. Had to get one!
Old 29-09-2016, 01:39   #26

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Life View Post
Octenders.com is another site for hardshell tenders. You guys down under get all the cool boats!
I liked the look of them until I went to the price list.

I have an alloy tinny which is the tinny version of the Staffordshire terrier dog, short, squat, ugly and tough as hell. I keep it from damaging the paintwork with 2" black polly irrigation pipe all around. Some of it is 15 years old but it is getting a bit scruffy on the ends. The polly is riveted to the alloy with 1/4" closed alloy blind rivets with alloy washers to make the heads bigger. I think inflatables are good dinghies so long as you don't mind buying a new one every now and then.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inflatable, tender