Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2015, 15:50   #1

Boat: CORESOUND 17
In Water or on the Hard

If one had the option of leaving a boat in the water on the hard for a extended period (3-4 years) unattended what would you do. What will happen to bottom if out of water for a long period
Thanks mcdermitt
mcdermitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 16:11   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: In Water or on the Hard

What hull material?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 01:17   #3

The best recommendation would be to sell the boat if you won't use it for that long. It will cost you either way for storage and the boat will degrade from lack of use and lack of maintenance.

If you insist on keeping it, I would go with on the hard but it's still critical to check on it periodically to make sure water isn't getting in and rotting the boat away or overloading the stands if the bilge fills up.

In the water, at best you will grow a small reef. Left sitting by itself for years, good chance she sinks when a hose/thru hull/rain fills the bilge and the pump fails.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 16:19   #4
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

On the hard is safer and less costly. If the boat is in a freeze thaw situation, winterize and shrink wrap. Either way, all canvas should be stored in a dry indoor area if possible and the engine should be prepped for long term storage. Consider unstepping mast and relaxing standing rigging for that time period. Running rigging should be stored with canvas. Last, consider indoor storage of battery bank with exception of one for running bilge pump. Decommissioning and recommissioning are expensive but necessary. Plan on a new bottom job before re launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 16:22   #5

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdermitt View Post
for an extended period (3-4 years) unattended
I'm sorry, your question is on the hard or in the water, but I'd opt for 'none of the above' and sell the boat.

You can't really leave a boat unattended for 3 - 4 years; regular checks are necessary no matter where you leave her. If that's not possible for whatever reasons, selling should definitely be considered (IMHO).
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 16:51   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you built the boat yourself, I can really understand how you'd want to keep her, especially after so much effort.

A lot can happen in 3-4 years. If you can safely store it on a trailer on someone's property, it could possibly be done cheaply, but you will find lots of stuff to fix when you re-commission her. It just might be easier in the long run on you to sell her, let someone new enjoy the use of her, and buy a new boat when you return to being close to the water. In even a year, the accumulated growth on the bottom will be astounding: I can't even imagine 4 yrs.! A homemade plywood kit boat, I would not leave her in the water, if somebody else built her. You have to keep the water on the outside, or you lose all.

Ann

Tags
on the hard, water