Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 04:38   #46

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5
Re: In Mast furling systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
What about the third hand to keep tension on the lazy end of the furling line?

If you have electric or hydraulic, that should work, or maybe someone has invented a manual furling winch which can be operated with one hand. Mine requires two hands, however, as you have to keep tension on the endless furling line in order for it to have traction.
Forgot to mention that one. The outhaul and lazy end of the furling line are in the same (gloved) hand. The outhaul is around a spare winch drum for a bit of friction, then into the (right in my case) hand, And the lazy end of the furling line, just goes straight to that hand.

Might sound a bit complex, but in reality it is dead easy. The main thing is winching in (of course the winch needs to be self-tailing). Sometimes I grind, other times I push the button (it is our only powered winch). I get a bit nervous about the button pushing mode in anything other than benign conditions, preferring the control and feel of grinding when things are a bit breezy.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:30   #47

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I had the Hood in-mast furling system on my last boat, it was great in the variable winds of the PNW. The biggest downside was the fluting. Sounded like banshees getting crucified. Of course this only happens tied to a dock as the wind doesn't blow sideways at anchor. There are simple anti flute devices available but I was usually anchored so I didn't bother.

Sent from my SM-G730W8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:14   #48

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
1. Put boat on autopilot.
2. One hand to operate the furling winch
3. The other hand to control the outhaul tension.

I find this easier that having two people do the furling
I'm having difficulty trying to visualize you controlling outhaul tension with just one hand unless your outhaul line is wrapped around the drum of a winch? On my boat I don't have a winch available to do that so I can only keep tension on the outhaul line as long as my reach is (maybe 2'?) and then I must either use my other hand to engage the rope clutch or grab the line with my other hand to keep tension on the line while I reposition my grip. Since you say you are able to keep tension on the outhaul line with just one hand, am I correct in guessing that you have a winch drum available to take a few turns around?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:57   #49

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I'm having difficulty trying to visualize you controlling outhaul tension with just one hand unless your outhaul line is wrapped around the drum of a winch? On my boat I don't have a winch available to do that so I can only keep tension on the outhaul line as long as my reach is (maybe 2'?) and then I must either use my other hand to engage the rope clutch or grab the line with my other hand to keep tension on the line while I reposition my grip. Since you say you are able to keep tension on the outhaul line with just one hand, am I correct in guessing that you have a winch drum available to take a few turns around?
Yes, as per my earlier post:
"The outhaul and lazy end of the furling line are in the same (gloved) hand. The outhaul is around a spare winch drum for a bit of friction, then into the (right in my case) hand, And the lazy end of the furling line, just goes straight to that hand".

Works well for me.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 15:07   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Yes, as per my earlier post:
"The outhaul and lazy end of the furling line are in the same (gloved) hand. The outhaul is around a spare winch drum for a bit of friction, then into the (right in my case) hand, And the lazy end of the furling line, just goes straight to that hand".

Works well for me.
Sorry that I missed that critical piece of info about your spare winch. I wish I had one conveniently located to do that too, hmmm, maybe I will look into rerouting the outhaul line to make that possible.
Old 04-02-2016, 21:58   #51

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Sorry that I missed that critical piece of info about your spare winch. I wish I had one conveniently located to do that too, hmmm, maybe I will look into rerouting the outhaul line to make that possible.
If you don't really need another winch there, why not just have a fixed cylindrical stub (like a sampson post or bollard) there instead. A turn or two around that would behave the same way as a winch, and be a hell of a lot cheaper!

Jim
Old 05-02-2016, 07:45   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If you don't really need another winch there, why not just have a fixed cylindrical stub (like a sampson post or bollard) there instead. A turn or two around that would behave the same way as a winch, and be a hell of a lot cheaper!

Jim
I agree, and don't contemplate adding an additional winch but was just thinking that I might be able to reroute the outhaul line to the other side of the cockpit where there are 2 manual winches that rarely get used. I'm working today so can't check it out but will see if it's feasible when I go do some work on the boat tomorrow. ANYTHING to help get a nice tight wrap when furling because I have found that is THE most important factor in making my furling setup a convenience rather than a pain in the butt!
Old 08-02-2016, 22:29   #53

Boat: Valiant 50

I'm thinking of converting my conventional 2 line slab reefing to a retro fit behind-mast furler.

Has anyone seen the Facnor product in action? Like everything else, the website and brochure extoll its virtues, but one never really knows if it works,

It seems Profurl no longer make a vertical furler. Are there any other manufacturers I should either look for or avoid.?
Old 09-02-2016, 01:56   #54

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

All in mast mainsails should have sailkoteplus applied to the sail before it is attached. Friction is reduced and the furl is measurably smaller, exactly what you need in a constricted space like a mast.
Mclube make sailkoteplus, and you can check out all the benefits on their website.
As for UV, the little slot that the sail goes in and out, does allow UV the attack the sail, so you do need a full canvas UV strip down the leech to prevent and damage.
Personally, I have a profurl in boom furler, the $ I have spent repairing it could have gone into a slab main with beer $ to spare!!
when it works it is great, but otherwise.....Next for me is a tides marine track, I have had one before and it it by far the best main track system I have used.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:35   #55

Thinking about electrificating my old Selden in-mast furler with a motor/worm drive from a windlass that I happen to have spare.

It'd be nice to work both the furler & the outhaul together though so it looks after itself. Two different-sized wire drums on the output shaft might work, one drum loading up as the other unloads.

Haven't even done the sums yet
Lazy old hippie.
unclemack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furling, mast