Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2006, 20:06   #1

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
In days of yore

In days of yore (once upon a time) sailing vessels had several decks, each having a dedicated purpose. There was a main deck, a spar deck, a berth deck, a gun deck (obviously in the case of a man 'o war), and an orlop deck.

The orlop deck, just above the bilges, held cordage, anchors, and various spares needed for the longevity and maintanence of the vessel (boat).

Because the orlop deck was the lowest deck and so close to the nasty smells of the bilges it was viewed by the crew as a place where one could rapair to (get lost) without undue concern about some paying customer (gentlemen or ladies) happening upon a venture not acceptable by either rules governing a man 'o war or those dictated by captain or first mate (management). Naturally the bosn's mate knew all that happened aboard yet he often was the biggest, nastiest, bruiser inculcating various traditions of men at war (or otherwise) by both authority and brute force.

The orlop deck is where one might find a still or contraband secreted away from official prying eyes. Assume that the dearth of females in the man's navy gave rise to vagaries of behaviour not limited to some broken mountain in Montana or the outback of Australia where at least they might have sheep. Here cordage was coiled.

Thankfully there is no female limitation on board my vessel, except of course anything beyond my mate and admiral otherwise there would be a man overboard with no mayday. The question IS just how do you accommodate the equivalent of an orlop deck on your boat? On mine the Vee berth is not a berth at all. It is a garage, an orlop leck and location of most spares and tools necessary to make repairs necessary for cruising almost anywhere. Often it is a problem moving a hunk of 600 ft of line out of the way to gain access to another "thing" yet I know of know way to alleviate the stowage and access problem. What do you do?

Regards,
Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 21:55   #2
Kai Nui

HMMMM... I guess on the tri, both ammas would qualify as orlop decks Don't have to be too much of a contortionist to make use of them Of course, with all that hardware available...
Old 24-03-2006, 01:05   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Cheese Whiz! Ooops! I mean gee wiz! (been read'n too much)
My solon deck is only 3" above the keel bolts. No where to hide for me.

Although, In the Navy we use to climb down 6 decks into shaft alley (where the prop shaft is) for a snoot or toot. No likes of an officer making his way down thata trek................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2006, 18:12   #4

Apples and Oranges

Really no modern comparison that I can see.