Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2013, 19:13   #1

Boat: Pearson Triton
Improving v-berth storage/organization

I'm looking for clever ways to improve the v-berth on my Pearson Triton. There are no cushions and this area is only for storage (life jackets, sails, line, duffle bags, bedding, etc.). I have the original "bookshelves" that extend half-way to the forward bulkhead/chain-locker. Right now I just throw stuff up there but it gets tossed around and seems less than seamanlike.

I've thought about rigging some lee-cloths or nets or adding some eye-straps for tie-downs to help "contain" the loose gear but was wondering if anybody had some better ideas for organization?
vancouver25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 19:31   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Improving v-berth storage/organization

The area above the V berths on my boat is just smooth fiberglass with some wood trim where the deck joins the hull. I put a couple of cup hooks into the wood and hung storage hammocks there. That worked pretty well but I wanted more storage. I had a sailmaker make me a couple of duffle bags with zippers on the side and a flap on the back with grommets. I hook the grommets over the cup hooks and I've got a lot of storage.
Old 16-02-2013, 19:37   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Nice Idea Hop Car. Gonna put that idea on my list !! Ive got a couple of good duffel bag patterns, Connies will whip em out and they will sure make a great place to put stuff ya want to be able to get to without moveing everything to get to em !! I love neat ideas for extra storage that works !! Thanks
Old 16-02-2013, 19:51   #4

Good idea for the hanging bags. If I don't have wood trim for hooks how do I attach something here (obviously I don't want to drill into the hull and there's no liner)?
Old 16-02-2013, 20:32   #5

I used the forward cabin on my Contessa 26 for storage, and cut out much of the stb berth to add another hanging locker ( wet locker) forward of the original one. I then built a platform forward of the new wet locker and moved the head from between the berths to the starboard side. As far as extra stowage went, I bought 2 zippered duffels from Boat US that had an extra flap sewn to them with grommets for twist lock keepers. There was a stringer at the hull to deck joint and I put the twist locks there. This worked out very well, and I used the duffels on my next 2 boats and many deliveries. If you dont have a stringer to screw the twist locks to, then epoxy a length of teak or whatever suits you, up under the deck joint. Those Boat US duffels are still useable 35 years later. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 07:19   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Good idea for the hanging bags. If I don't have wood trim for hooks how do I attach something here (obviously I don't want to drill into the hull and there's no liner)?"

Glue some small wood blocks onto the fiberglass with 5200. My boat hook and cleaning brush are hanging in hooks attached this way. I did this at least 10 years ago and they are still there. I used teak so it would match the rest of the boat. Wipe the oil off the back of the teak with alchol before you apply the 5200. Use masking tape to hold it in place until the 5200 sets.
Old 17-02-2013, 07:40   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

In my aft cabin the double berth is sectioned off for storage by some hooks that take one long elastic shock cord.
when I go to sea the kit can be secured tightly even though there may be more stored there for some reason.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 09:53   #8

5200...hooks...shock cord. Thanks for the tips. I like the hanging duffel bags too. Off to stare at the forepeak for a while and see where the pieces fit. Thanks!
Old 17-02-2013, 10:12   #9

You can use netting to keep things in those bookshelves. Use bungy on the top of the netting.... just stretch it to get stuff in and out...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 11:09   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Boxes / Storage containers.........they give you height (and sometimes even drawers ) without having to make mods that can't be easily undone (which also means quick and easy ). It may one day be you who wants the V-Berth back as bunks, and even if not likely a buyer will.........

The above is actually at the top of my quarterberth but gives the idea (cheap as chips plastic storage) - I made some wooden blocks to hold the feet and their is a bungy over the top, not a 5 second job to remove - but easily under a minute, these drawers actually have a decent lip on them and also being fore and aft that not so critical - but nonetheless the drawers can be held closed with a bungy...(and for the nosy - the labelling not the final version (marker pen on masking tape ), that will come when I finally decided WTF is going in each drawer!).

My Forecabin was built as a forepeak (no berths - simply the head and loadsa storage), but I have a small aft cabin that is being re-invented as a walk in locker using the same approach (at least for the short / medium term - but I have one eye on needing a double bunk onboard in the future ) - and my mod does include a decent sized tool box:-

It would have been bigger (taller) - just that I used what I already had (and it's got a waterproof seal ), plus some side opening storage boxes I also had already, kinda as follows:-

No pics of anything fitted as not quite done the final "nailing" down yet, so have not snapped any!

A squilion designs and sizes of boxes out there, at all budgets / materials. My thoughts even at one stage also extended to making my own custom fitted box(es) that could later simply be unscrewed leaving the berths intact, but I couldn't be arsed .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2013, 16:41   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

When we sailed to Hawaii from San Francisco in the Yankee 30, we arbitrarily allocated the starboard side for sails, and strapped them using double "D" rings for tensioning, and mountain climbing webbing for the strap. Jim made up the terminals for the straps in a machine shop and screwed them in, as I recall. On the port side, we had the hanging net bags, where we stored fruit and vegetables that keep okay at room temperature. It needed a tie-down strap to keep it from swinging so much, bungie is good for this, 'cause it gives a little "ease." David Old Jersey's concept of firmly locating the removable tubs sounds useful, as well, but I have no sea experience of it.
Old 17-02-2013, 19:23   #12

David Old Jersey -- I agree about not making any permanent mods...not so much for resale but I have been known to change my mind.

The problem with tubs is the space is mostly curved and, with my skills, the implementation would be dodgy at best.

I do like the idea of a quickly removable "mounted" tool box.

Ann T Cate -- I think I'll go with the nets and straps port side, and hanging duffel bags starboard, and see how it works out. It seems the easiest to implement while leaving options for the future.

Thanks again for the ideas!
Old 17-02-2013, 22:20   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have two steps leading down into my cabin. The builder made the bottom step removable so there is storage underneath. I made the top step removable and built a wooden tool box to just fit the space. I used two eye straps and a length of webbing for the handle. It lays flat on top of the box and doesn't waste any space. If I had used a regular handle on top it would have forced me to make the box shorter to fit the space.