Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 16:02   #1

Import payment customs

Ok intend to import boat to Australia from the South Pacific

I have contacted customs and they have categorically said that I will have to pay the taxes immediately

Now I have a friend who bought his yacht over from Europe and did not have the money to pay and customs gave him a year to pay ( though his yacht was not allowed to leave Bundaberg until payment) also others on this forum have talked about instalment payments and the years grace!

So what's with customs saying no way?

Thanks

Chris
Kristov93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 22:45   #2

Boat: Tayana 52
We imported ours in 2007 and according to Customs you can't import a boat until you get a clearance certificate from AQIS. It took about 3months of farting around for AQIS to issue the paperwork and only then did we pay the duty. The 3 months gives you time to get a decent valuation.
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:22   #3

Re: Import payment customs

Thanks Gerry ! As for the valuation won't customs charge you on the cost of the purchase of boat plus travel !

Ha I give up with them I hear one thing from customs and another from people who have been through it, every time I email customs I get another person who wants another full run down! Then never fully answers the question and so the loop continues!

I kinda don't care anymore and will just turn up and see which way they want too go or I can take them!

Happy sailing
Old 08-12-2013, 01:39   #4

Customs told us there were 2 methods for calculating the duty, one based on what you paid for the boat and the other, if the boat had been owned for a period of time, modified etc was for a licensed valued/broker to give a fair market value.
Depending upon where you clear the boat in an the market at the time the duty may be lower for b.
Ours was Australian registered but we could have got a 12 month cruising permit if there was no intent to import. You could then, in theory go to Cairns, sit there for 12 months then sail to PNG for a couple of weeks then come back for another 12 months. That was 2007.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:48   #5

Boat: Privilege 37

There is a previous long thread on this subject which gave some good information
Old 08-12-2013, 13:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrycooper56 View Post
Customs told us there were 2 methods for calculating the duty, one based on what you paid for the boat and the other, if the boat had been owned for a period of time, modified etc was for a licensed valued/broker to give a fair market value.
Depending upon where you clear the boat in an the market at the time the duty may be lower for b.
Ours was Australian registered but we could have got a 12 month cruising permit if there was no intent to import. You could then, in theory go to Cairns, sit there for 12 months then sail to PNG for a couple of weeks then come back for another 12 months. That was 2007.

Hi Gerry thanks for that! I have read and been told by customs that because I am a permanant resident of Australia (though NZ passport) I am not entitled to the cruising permit! I have to import! Which is bloody annoying as that was the visa I wanted to get and border jump as you said! I might be able to bluff my way with my NZ passport to get it but I agree with others that is very dangerous as I have lived and worked in OZ for many years! Fines fines fines! That would be all I needed!

Cheers
Old 08-12-2013, 13:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
There is a previous long thread on this subject which gave some good information

Thanks do you know what it is titled under

Shoot at them immmm I do have a flare gun but they are going to take that off me too! I really liked it!!!
Old 08-12-2013, 14:17   #8

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Importing a boat to Australia,

I think it was called, Early 2012,

Just make sure you give them your 72 hour arrival notice, Email them your coming,
and dont arrive on a weekend, Its double time for all involved, At your cost,

I really liked my Flare Gun too, But the Police took that, Not AQIS or Customs, No gun permit for it,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 14:35   #9

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Try this one http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...alia-3346.html

Type importing a boat into Australia into the CF search and heaps will come up.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 15:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristov93 View Post
Hi Gerry thanks for that! I have read and been told by customs that because I am a permanant resident of Australia (though NZ passport) I am not entitled to the cruising permit! I have to import! Which is bloody annoying as that was the visa I wanted to get and border jump as you said! I might be able to bluff my way with my NZ passport to get it but I agree with others that is very dangerous as I have lived and worked in OZ for many years! Fines fines fines! That would be all I needed! Cheers
We'll the waiting for AQIS clearance should still be the same as until they approve it for import you shouldn't be able to complete the paperwork that results in duty.

Tags
customs, import, men