Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2017, 09:37   #1

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Image stabilized binoculars

Thoughts?
Looking at the inexpensive (less than $800!) Canon ones.
Can't find much except for birding or astronomy.
Would use them for bouncing around in the Catalina channel looking for dolphins or whales.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 09:55   #2

Re: Image stabilized binoculars

When looking for binoculars I always read the reviews and recommendations from birders. They are very serious about their binoculars.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 11:20   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

We've had the lowest cost Canon 10x30 IS model for around a decade now. They were pretty cheap at ~300 USD at the time, and still work ok. The image stabilizer works pretty well and makes the 10 power quite usable on the boat. However, the optics are kinda dismal... image quality is not great and at this stage of their life, things are beginning to look a bit "grayed out". Not so bad in daylight, but disappointing in the dark (never a good bet with 10x30s IME). The "rubber" coating on the shell started decomposing soon after we bought them, and it has largely gone away by now. Ugly,but not a functional issue.

Note that these are not "marine" binoculars, and that they have lived their entire life on board, with no special treatment other than not using them when it's raining hard or lots of spray flying.

Jim
Old 20-12-2017, 11:34   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

I have been told by someone who's tried both that Fujinon IS is much better than Canon.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 14:46   #5

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Also following this thread - I was hoping someone would post some feedback from their experiences with image stabilized binocs. I'm thinking of a last minute Christmas gift. To myself.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 15:04   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Ours are Nikon, and are in my opinion outstanding.
I was taught years ago to use the Military Steiner’s from a helicopter, they were not stabilized, and again the difference is tremendous.

Watch Defender, I got ours reconditioned and they have been flawless. Only way you know they are reconditioned is the box says so, and I think there is a shorter Warranty, but the savings are significant.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 15:14   #7

Boat: Balboa 27

Warning; Canon's warranty/service is awful. I have a pair of canon's that are about 7 years old, and when they went on the fritz canon refused to even look at them.

So if you buy a pair of canon's, consider them disposable.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 04:50   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
I have been told by someone who's tried both that Fujinon IS is much better than Canon.
There was a recent thread on trawlerforum.com (sister site) about binocs -- which eventually wandered off heavily into IS territory -- and at least one member there said the same thing.

He pointed out the degree of stabilization on Fujis is plus/minus 5° whereas Canons are usually less than plus/minus 1°. His point was that his Canons would have been OK at stabilizing the target image (if the boat weren't moving around, e.g., as in birding), but not at all as good at stabilizing the boat movement.

The Nikon specs I looked at subsequently said plus/minus 3° of stabilization, and I guess they don't make those anymore.

FWIW, I've found eye relief to usually be the most critical criterion for binocs in general... given that we both wear eyeglasses. Our Steiners are great for that, but not stabilized.

-Chris
Old 21-12-2017, 06:53   #9

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I have the Canons 10X and bought them in 2004. I change out the batteries occasionally, but other than that, they are like new. I keep them inside unless I am using them. Mostly use them for spotting buoys and for mile marker numbers on inland waters. They are adequate with some boat movement but the Fujinon’s are the best if you want to really freeze the image. A friend of mine had some of those and I got the Canons. Fujinon is much better if moving around a lot on the water but also are bulkier. Don’t expect a great deal of stabilization’s from the Canons, but for my use they have been fine.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 18:21   #10

I’ve had my Fujinon 14x40 Techno-Stabi since about 2001. They’re remarkable!

I keep them away in their padded case between days of use, and also remove the batteries for longer layup periods. We treat them carefully, and they have been 100% reliable.

I also have a Nikon 7x50 with DF compass that is never put in their case, stored in an open rack just inside the companionway. They’re my “grab n go” binos, lighter weight and quicker access.

When I want more details I go for the Fuji’s, they both serve a useful purpose.
Old 21-12-2017, 18:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Also following this thread - I was hoping someone would post some feedback from their experiences with image stabilized binocs. I'm thinking of a last minute Christmas gift. To myself.

Cheers!

Steve
Steve, watch for a sale price on the Fuji 14x40 IS and if you have the disposable income, GET IT. You won’t be sorry.

I’ve had mine more than 15 years and I’d buy them again if I needed to replace them.
Old 21-12-2017, 19:03   #12

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Steve, watch for a sale price on the Fuji 14x40 IS and if you have the disposable income, GET IT. You won’t be sorry.

I’ve had mine more than 15 years and I’d buy them again if I needed to replace them.
Absolutely ! Remarkable piece of japanese engineering.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 19:13   #13

Quote:

They appear to be on "sale" now....from the short amount of time I researched them they are $300 off their normal price....they are $999, the lowest I've seen them, at Amazon and B&H...........fyi
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...abi_Image.html
GARRYOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 20:23   #14

Boat: Fairweather Mariner/Westsail 39

Just thought I'd give my own experience. I have had a pair of Fuji Polaris non- stabilized binoculars for about 40 years and they are still flawless. I've also had a pair of the top end Steiner Commander binoculars for about four years (when i operate vessels other than my own) and they are equally flawless. A few years ago I purchased a pair of the Fuji stabilized binoculars and took them along for a two week stint running a tall ship. They did indeed offer an imressive improvement in performance. Recognizing that these instruments are far more fragile than their conventional siblings, I took the best care I could to keep them in their padded case unless in actual use. None the less, one night approaching an anchorage they did take a tumble of about 12 inches onto a wooden deck, an accident which would have meant nothing to normal instruments, but which destroyed the stabilizing mechanism of the Fujinons. Soon after my return I personally delivered them to the nearby Fijinon repair facility for a complete and expensive certified rebuild (because of the drop they deemed the instrument not under warranty) and the instrument was returned after about two weeks. They worked, until I "set" (and by this I mean carefully set) them onto a chart table and this small shock again destroyed the delicate stabilizing mechanism. I tossed them into the trash thereafter. What's my conclusion? This is a nice instrument to look at the moon in your back yard but don't take the stupid thing to sea. Fijian makes a nice binocular case however - I'm still using that and its functioning perfectly.
squarerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 20:43   #15

Boat: Mustang 3800

I have had the Canon 10x30 IS for well over 12 yrs now and they have been brilliant. Never had any issues or problems with them and for a lower cost keep on the boat type binocular I would highly recommend them.
Biggusstickus is offline   Reply With Quote