Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2017, 21:14   #16

Re: Image stabilized binoculars

I've have both the Fuji TS Jr's (12x32) and the Canon IS 8x25.

The Canon's seem great until you try the Fuji's. The Fuji's image is both more stable and far clearer. The Fuji's really are remarkable on a moving boat. The Jr's are considerably cheaper than the 4x40's. I've handled both and prefer the size of the Jr and I think 14x magnification is pushing it on a small boat.

Neither are great at night where a basic 7x50 is far better.

My wife prefers the Canon's because they are substantially lighter and smaller in the hand. The Fuji's on/off system is weird. You have to hold in a button for several seconds until an led stops flashing and then rotate a lever. I got the Fuji's on a "special" sale from Defender at a pretty incredible price.

Both have survived years of sliding around the cockpit but I don't remember a multi foot fall.

One of the little metal battery contacts in the Fuji's AA battery holder broke off after five years. I jury rigged the contact for a while with bits of aluminum foil in the case. Ultimately, I ordered a new case from Baker Marine in San Diego who was recommended to me. They handle repairs on all the high end binoculars. They shipped me a new battery case for a very reasonable price. Highly recommend them.

https://www.bakermarineusa.com/index.php

For night work I also depend on a Night Owl Igen 20/20 night vision monocular and a MarineBeam UltraLong Range Illuminator flashlight which has such a tight beam that my vision isn't ruined by reflected back-scatter off sails, lifelines and rigging. I never use a traditional searchlight anymore.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote