Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2017, 07:33   #1

Boat: Privilege 435
I'm too lazy to use my lazy-bag? Anyone with experience of having a hard-shell?

I'm thinking of making a hard shell to replace the lazy bag on my cat and I'm interested in any input from those with more experience than me. Although not exactly a third-world problem, raising the main is a pain. It takes a while to get everything prepared and no matter how hard I try to face the wind, I always need someone extra on the hard top to guide the sail to stop the battens from catching the lazy jacks. The final straw this weekend was when I didn't notice a batten catching on the jacks and it ripped apart my bag. I don't like lowering the bag first as the sail falls off the boom and things can get out of hand if it starts to catch any wind. I just want to make things as simple as possible.

I'm thinking that if I made a fiberglass skin the same shape as the bag, supported it with internal fiberglass stringers and bolted it to the boom so that it supports itself and the sail, I'd be able to get rid of all that ropey stuff up top. I'll make it look the same as a lazy bag so it doesn't look daft. As long as I could keep the weight reasonable I can't think of any disadvantages. Any input would be appreciated.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 08:02   #2

Boat: PDQ32
Re: I'm too lazy to use my lazy-bag? Anyone with experience of having a hard-shell?

The Antares uses a rigid arrangement but they still have a couple lines to guide the sail as it drops. They guide lines are closer to the boom so they are less likely to foul the longer ba
Old 26-09-2017, 08:03   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: I'm too lazy to use my lazy-bag? Anyone with experience of having a hard-shell?

Modify your lazy jacks so you can loosen them and bring them to the gooseneck while you hoist.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 08:06   #4

Boat: PDQ32

The Antares uses a rigid arrangement but they still have a couple lines to guide the sail as it drops. They guide lines are closer to the mast so they are not going to foul the longer battens.

You might try modifying the lazy line arrangement to see if you could move the worst offenders closer to the mast.

- I accidently triggered my earlier response before it was finished -

Henry
Old 26-09-2017, 08:52   #5

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Should work, although you might still need a couple of lazy Jacks when lowering. With the hard case you could pull the lazy Jacks forward when hoisting.

There are various versions of wide booms around. Some are deep enough so the cover just zips up between the sides of the boom. Have worked for years so no reason your idea won't as well.
Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 09:32   #6

I am speculating, but I would think that the fiberglass bag solution would work well for hoisting the main, but work poorly when taking it down, unless you have lazy jacks to guide it down properly. Also, a fiberglass bag would probably make it more difficult to smooth the main into it once it is taken down.

A better bet and an easier solution to the problem seems to be what others have already suggested: modify the lazy jacks so they can be pulled close to the mast when hoisting. I added small blocks at the attachment point of the lazy jacks on the mast and they are then led to a cleat at the bottom of the mast (if you are really "lazy", you could even lead them back to the cockpit, I think). It works quite fine.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 10:18   #7

Location: Wherever the boat lies, USA coasts, Keys, Bahamas & Islands
Boat: Island Spirit 40' Cat

I just loosen the Lazy-Jacks and tighten them with two 4' bungee cords towards the mast. You can leave them on as you sail, preventing your sail bag to drop below boom level.

I'd send you a picture, but am too lazy to go set it up right now.
Old 26-09-2017, 11:15   #8

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

If your spreaders have clamps in the ends to stop them sliding up or down the shrouds, you can move the top blocks of the lazyjacks to about midway out along the spreader, it holds the lazyjacks more open so there is less chance of them catching the battens and has the added advantage of needing less or even no easing of the lazyjacks once the sail is raised due to the geometry of the setup, which causes the leeward lazyjack to ease as the boom and sail is swung out towards its respective spreader. The windward lazyjack will of course correspondingly tighten but it is not going to foul the sail so it doesn't matter. I have found the 'sweet' spot with my lazyjacks and now never need to adjust them at all. Don't try this if your spreaders don't have a clamp in the ends, as the pull of the lazyjacks will cause your spreaders to droop with potentially disastrous results.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 16:48   #9

Boat: Sold Hereschoff Bounty 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPLepew View Post
I just loosen the Lazy-Jacks and tighten them with two 4' bungee cords towards the mast. You can leave them on as you sail, preventing your sail bag to drop below boom level.

I'd send you a picture, but am too lazy to go set it up right now.
Same problem as the OP, often solo and with home of gusty winds of rapidly variable direction. Motor 2 knts straight into it on AP and by the time you've run to the base of the mast the gust direction has changed. On a bad day you'd try re-adjusting AP direction two or three times, or just wait until the wind swings back, which might or might not happen before running out of space in the inner harbour, and that's when there's not much other traffic, and no pesky fleet of kayak tourists dead ahead, taking photos before their panic sets in.

Very NOT looking pro-cool.

Motoring 5-10 degrees off wind direction, and as said already lazy jack's re-rigged so the main support line is run through a block in the spreader and instead of being permanently fixed there, run back down to two cleats positioned on the mast near the main winch fixed it most of the time. Having the stern-most lazyjack boom line (that was attached closest to the end of the boom) also detachable so it could be run forward to pull the collapsed lazyjack arrangement out of the way to the extend required would have been a further improvement.

Reason for motoring off wind direction and the two new mast cleats is to allow you to only collapse the downwind side of the lazyjacks, to save a minute of uncleating/recleating.

Could never understand why this arrangement is not standard when riggers are first installing (or in my case retrofitting) lazyjacks.

Oh - of course you've got your mainsheet running free?
Scotty Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc