Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2015, 20:14   #1

If you were moving to the U.S.,

what city would you choose with sailing in mind?

It must not snow, so the Northeast is out. The boat that I want is a Seaward 46, so I'm thinking that Stuart, FL would be the best place for me while the boat is being built. (The boat is not firm, I like a Boreal as well.)

Tell me why Stuart, FL would not be a good idea, or what you would think is a better destination. I'm mid-60's, gone for 15 years, so this will be my last stop in this body.
cards26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 21:46   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: If you were moving to the U.S.,

For year around sailing it's hard to beat San Francisco Bay. Great wind in the summer, the Bay and Sacramento River Delta to explore, you can sail to Napa, and slips are plentiful and cheap compared to SoCal. Weather is very pleasant on the Alameda Estuary. Other areas can get very windy in the summer and cool in the winter. SF itself is colder than Alaska in the summer. Public Transit is great and you can cover huge territory with a folding bike and BART. The governments are nuts and housing is through the roof but if you can live with that, the sailing is great.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 22:25   #3

Somehow, I knew the Bay Area would be an answer. I lived in SF in '77-'78, and I have to say I really enjoyed it; then 12 years in Manhattan, and then finished up with 15 years in Las Vegas and Orange County, CA. I like the cooler weather in the Bay Area as opposed to FL.

One big, bad comment though. We here in South America hear a lot about a radiation leak from Fukushima that's affecting the entire West Coast, but when I talk to my friends in the Bay Area and Vancouver, they say they know nothing about it. They say if there's a problem, it's acidification or warmer temps. I don't know what's true or false, but what we're reading here does not sound good.
cards26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 22:30   #4

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

USVI and Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Fl Keyes or NW..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 00:24   #5

Boat: Beneteau/343

Bellingham Washington is lovely.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 00:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards26 View Post

One big, bad comment though. We here in South America hear a lot about a radiation leak from Fukushima that's affecting the entire West Coast, but when I talk to my friends in the Bay Area and Vancouver, they say they know nothing about it. They say if there's a problem, it's acidification or warmer temps. I don't know what's true or false, but what we're reading here does not sound good.
To appreciate the effect that the Fukushima disaster has had on the US, you have to understand the difference between being able to detect something, and it reaching a level that matters. A slight increase in background level of some isotopes was detectable. It did not matter. West Pacific Tuna have a detectably higher level, but there is more naturally occuring in a banana.

If the people living NEXT to the Fukushima reactor had not evacuated, they would have a 4% increase in the lifetime chance of solid tumour cancer. We are several thousand miles further away from them.

You would get far more radiation dose flying to San Francisco, than you would ever get when you get here, from the accident.
Old 19-04-2015, 07:55   #7

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post

If the people living NEXT to the Fukushima reactor had not evacuated, they would have a 4% increase in the lifetime chance of solid tumour cancer. We are several thousand miles further away from them
Can you cite where you got this from? Please
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 08:02   #8

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Loved the Chesapeake Bay Area when we lived there. Also enjoyed Long Island Sound when we lived there. There is actually a lot is sailing in Minnesota (short season or hard water) which was great too. North Florida sailing has a lot to offer, easy seasons, river, costal or Atlantic access. Now we're cruising Southern California and enjoying every day of it all year round.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 08:14   #9
cruiser

I don't mean to be changing the subject, but why the USA? Why not Europe and the Med? Or the South Pacific? Much more to see and do in other places unless you just want to sit and be in one place.

Regarding radiation from Japan.... total and complete environmental activist propaganda B.S. Go onto Snopes.com yourself and check it out. Manipulated charts, graphs, data etc. But if you wanna loose sleep over nothing at all, then by all means believe the propaganda.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 08:17   #10

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

First off, bananas are indeed dangerous.
I'm likely to be moving to Ventura, CA in a few months....or I may hold off one more year before moving back to SoCal.
My next choice is Morro Bay (more for the area than the sailing).
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 08:19   #11

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I don't mean to be changing the subject, but why the USA? Why not Europe and the Med? Or the South Pacific? Much more to see and do in other places unless you just want to sit and be in one place.

Regarding radiation from Japan.... total and complete environmental propaganda B.S.
yeah, and no need to keep a gun.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 08:36   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
For year around sailing it's hard to beat San Francisco Bay. Great wind in the summer, the Bay and Sacramento River Delta to explore, you can sail to Napa, and slips are plentiful and cheap compared to SoCal. Weather is very pleasant on the Alameda Estuary. Other areas can get very windy in the summer and cool in the winter. SF itself is colder than Alaska in the summer. Public Transit is great and you can cover huge territory with a folding bike and BART. The governments are nuts and housing is through the roof but if you can live with that, the sailing is great.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 08:53   #13

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

I would check on state taxes before making a decision. I like San Fransisco but my friends who live in Calif. whine about the taxes constantly. Don't look at just state income tax but look at total tax burden.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 09:00   #14

Boat: Gozzard 36

Why limit your thinking to one city or even one area? ---if you are 60 with 15 years ahead of you (lucky you ...wish I knew how much line was left on my reel) then why not think of a cruising area that can easily extend or lead into another area and then another and then ......

If it was me I'd take a very hard look at starting out in the Pacific North-West---the Salish sea, San Juan's, the Gulf Islands, the Broken Islands, Desolation Sound, Queen Charlotte Islands, the inland passage all the way up to Alaska--no language barriers, no culture shock, cheaper (your US dollar goes 20% further in Canada), good marinas and service providers, friendly non-armed Canadians etc

--then after 4 years or so (it will take you that long to even start to scratch the surface)you can start cruising south---(you probably won't want to spend too long in foggy and rough Oregon) and slowly cruise along California (enjoy a season or two in SF) to San Diego---good sailing, friendly marinas and people, good availability of parts and service ec.

---then into Mexico (don't be scared off by all the bad news alarmist propaganda about Mexico--I've spent 10+ years of seasonal/winter cruising in Mexico, even drive down each year and never experienced or heard of other cruisers experiencing even the slightest hint of trouble or danger -except for the occasional theft of an unsecured dinghy), friendly people, not expensive, interesting, warm--spend a couple of years in the Sea of Cortez (summers WILL be hot)

--then down to Panama (a season or two in its San Blas islands) and then through the Canal into the Caribbean --after that you'l be so old you probably will be doing your cruising on board a cruise ship :-)

-and almost all of it down-wind sailing too !!!

-that's what I've done and am doing ---only mistake was transited west coast of USA too quickly

-just my 2 bits FWIW
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 09:17   #15

Boat: Gozzard 36

Sorry -didn't really answer your question about choice of a CITY ---if you started in the Pacific NW then probably Seattle would be the major city in the USA---maybe some other cruisers can give you info about Seattle, Tacoma etc
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote