Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-04-2015, 12:38   #31
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M
Re: If you were moving to the U.S.,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

Sailing is great from the PNW all the way to Mexico.

SAILING. As in NOT motoring.

Good luck on your decision.
....and just how do you get back? Or do you all become Mexican residents south of San Diego?

I lived in San Diego and did some sailing and a lot of surveying from Alaska to Panama. It kinda depends on what kind of sailing you like, doesn't it? Warm tropical or deep Pacific type. I think I would run out of comfortable destinations pretty quickly in California, and the politics would drive me batty a long time before the PNW gloom did, but that's just me. I'm more the warm clear water type. Reefs to explore.

Old 19-04-2015, 12:47   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post

1. ....and just how do you get back? Or do you all become Mexican residents south of San Diego?

2. ....in California, and the politics would drive me batty a long time before the PNW gloom did, but that's just me.

3. I'm more the warm clear water type. Reefs to explore.
1. Why go back once Alaska TO Mexico is covered? If he lives that long (hope he does! ) then there's always to South Pacific.

2. I've lived here since 1978. I avoid the newspapers.

3. Your boat, your choice, but IIRC there's good diving in MX, too.

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 12:52   #33

I see a lot of votes for S.F. but the 3 times I was in the area it was cool or down-right cold. And this was in July. I like Florida in the winter, the last couple of years South Florida has been the only really warm place in the U.S. It is hot in the summer, I would plan on going North for the summer. Chesapeake would be nice in the summer. Stuart would work for this. Or, Florida West Coast, Ft. Myers is very nice. Lots of choices in Florida.
Old 19-04-2015, 13:02   #34

I am totally American.
BUT
MY favorite City in North America is Victoria British Columbia.
It is sort of a border city but you can live there without any issues I am aware of.
Same weather as Seattle WA US. and everything American is just a few boat hours away if necessary.
I would pull Puerto Rico off the map of recommendations, the place is more like a 3'rd world nation than any thing American, probably more like Cuba with a milder Castro is a better comparison.
For my far-out recommendation: American Somoa, you get the real tropics with Americanization, been there: My choice is still Victoria BC.
Old 19-04-2015, 15:04   #35

Boat: 2005 Catalina 350

Yep I like fl.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 19-04-2015, 16:17   #36

I asked this same question on another site this morning, and a guy sent me this link. Now I'm getting worried. I might be better off with the Pirates in the Caribbean.

Take a look at mugshot #12 at the bottom.

Florida man high on flakka attacked officer, said he was God, had sex with tree, police say | News - Home
Old 19-04-2015, 16:26   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
I see a lot of votes for S.F. but the 3 times I was in the area it was cool or down-right cold. And this was in July. I like ............hot in the summer, I would plan on going North for the summer. Chesapeake would be nice in the summer.
You may not be aware of the many microclimates in the Bay Area. It's cold in The City, but warmer is surrounding areas. It can be in a 60s on The Bay and in The City and in the 90s north, south & east of there.

The California Delta is in the 90s during the day, but gets automatic air conditioning at night, down to the 60s.

Gorgeous.

Pick your weather. Instead of getting hot and muggy all over!

The OP did ask about SAILING and from my friends in the Chesapeake, there is rarely wind during the summer.
Old 19-04-2015, 17:01   #38

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards26 View Post
I asked this same question on another site this morning, and a guy sent me this link. Now I'm getting worried. I might be better off with the Pirates in the Caribbean.

Take a look at mugshot #12 at the bottom.

Florida man high on flakka attacked officer, said he was God, had sex with tree, police say | News - Home
Now that link was certainly interesting! Truly the freakiest bunch I've ever seen. I scrolled through to the end. Our friend Justin made it at number 514!
Old 19-04-2015, 17:40   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I don't mean to be changing the subject, but why the USA? Why not Europe and the Med? Or the South Pacific? Much more to see and do in other places unless you just want to sit and be in one place.
This.

For such a long coastline, the U.S. doesn't have much great cruising. The best cruising in America is where you don't want to be, i.e., where there's snow -- Maine. And further up, in Canada.

Our Pacific coast is one awful, inhospitable, featureless lee shore, with the most interesting part in Washington State. And the only thing resembling interesting cruising -- and Alaska -- oh, Alaska -- but you don't want snow

Take a hundred miles of any coast in Europe -- Med, Atlantic, or Baltic -- and there's more to see and do than the entire Eastern Seaboard of the U.S. Take 500 miles, and you've got 5x. Sail the Baltic, and pass through 10 different countries and a million islands. Follow Odysseus through the Aegean . . .

Kenomac is right-- think -- Europe.
Old 19-04-2015, 19:36   #40

We live overseas, the location changes every three years or so, we own a home in Louisiana, and our original plan was to buy a condo in Rhode Island for the summers, to escape the heat and find the wind...also to get out of hurricane alley. But that plan has moved south some. We have inherited half a farm about two hours out of Annapolis. Luckily the other half seems content to look after it. So that is our re entry plan. We have family in the U.S., otherwise the world is our oyster.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 19-04-2015, 19:44   #41

Cruising US East Coast would be so much more enjoyable if the locals would welcome cruisers with inexpensive town owned guest moorings, reasonably priced facilities and uniform boating rules and regs. I'm not talking freebies here but at the least an absence of gouging would help. Can't cruise for too long at $3-4/ft per night unless you're an oligarch. NYC takes the cake at $6/ft plus electricity, garbage disposal fees, taxes, etc. as of 8 years ago. I'm sure it is more these days.
Old 19-04-2015, 20:01   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Cruising US East Coast would be so much more enjoyable if the locals would welcome cruisers with inexpensive town owned guest moorings, reasonably priced facilities and uniform boating rules and regs. I'm not talking freebies here but at the least an absence of gouging would help. Can't cruise for too long at $3-4/ft per night unless you're an oligarch. NYC takes the cake at $6/ft plus electricity, garbage disposal fees, taxes, etc. as of 8 years ago. I'm sure it is more these days.
Yeah, can't understand why or how anyone lives there. I left in 1975. Left more space for them that wanna live there.
Old 19-04-2015, 20:10   #43
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Stay away from the pnw /Puget sound you need shorts in the summer and a jacket to sail in the winter actually froze 3 nights last winter in Seattle and there is only about 2500 miles of coastline from the San Juan islands to Olympia can cruise here for years and and still not see all the bays and coves it has to offer.
Old 19-04-2015, 20:19   #44
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973

Annapolis, MD is about as nuts about sailing as it gets in the USA, and the Chesapeake is a great body of water for it. It can snow, but not often. - get a little further south, say VA Beach/Norfolk and snow would be rare. San Diego up to Santa Barbara, CA also great sailing area, but $$$. If your boat is fairly shallow draft, consider the sounds of NC and SC.
Old 19-04-2015, 20:20   #45

Wow, lots of very good ideas here. When I woke up this morning, I was making plans to visit Stuart/Melbourne area in June. This evening, I've put those plans on hold.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: