Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2015, 12:28   #1

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
If you live in FL please sign

Petition: Stop Florida's attempts to limit access to public waterways and anchorages

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 13:36   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: If you live In fl please sign

I love in Fl but not on the water. Why should I sign? I don't want nor ever need to anchor within 200 ft of someone's home not that it is even possible in many places due to how shallow the water is there.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 14:00   #3

Boat: TBD

It's not just about you, it's about the thousands of boaters who come to FL bringing their money that support local businesses and tax base. That's why everyone who lives in the state or owns property there, as I do, should sign it.
Old 30-03-2015, 14:15   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcStAug View Post
It's not just about you, it's about the thousands of boaters who come to FL bringing their money that support local businesses and tax base. That's why everyone who lives in the state or owns property there, as I do, should sign it.
Thanks for telling me what I should do

The number of boaters who bring money to Florida in an entire year, and the congestion, is dwarfed by the number coming to Disney on one single day so the consideration of economic impact is trivial.

There must be some good reason why people feel strongly about anchoring dangerously and sometimes annoyingly close to shore.

It couldn't be that this is a ploy to subvert local control of derelict boats - that would cost more money rather than make money. Right?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 14:15   #5

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
I agree. Fight tyranny (if not all forms of authority!) at every opportunity, regardless of whether the cause is specifically of interest to you. pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 14:37   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
It's not just about you, it's about the thousands of boaters who come to FL bringing their money that support local businesses and tax base. ..........................
Boaters who come to Florida to stay in marinas, eat in restaurants and have their boats serviced do bring money and support local businesses.

Ones who anchor every night or live aboard anchored boats, not so much.
Old 31-03-2015, 08:28   #7

Boat: CSY44 Pilothouse

*******I love in Fl but not on the water. Why should I sign? I don't want nor ever need to anchor within 200 ft of someone's home not that it is even possible in many places due to how shallow the water is there.****

When the government start restricting a certain group's movements in favor of others, we start to live in a society where we create elites with special privileges. That is against the US Constitution. If you support such action, governments will restrict more and more over time, till they come for you. Do not blame the government when they start restricting your movements and no one is around anymore to protect your rights.
Henk Koornstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 09:00   #8

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

I am happy to sign. I have already sent e-mails to my legislative representatives as well .

I am quiet and respectful of those around me when at anchor. I think that at least half the time I must be within 200' of some residence. My read of the bill is that it is on behalf of a small number of (wealthy?) influential homeowners. If boaters disobey noise ordinances, the police can be notified just as they can be on land.
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 09:14   #9

Boat: Ted Brewer, Bulldog 30' built in aluminum

I don't see a link to the petition. .. did I miss one of the posts with it?
kmcshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 09:21   #10

It's not about just the 200' from shore, there is also a time factor. This anchoring question was answered in the Supreme Court a few years ago in a Marco Island case. A person was arrested in Factory Bay regarding this very same charge. In Marco Island the law was written with 300' from shore with a time factor they could anchor. The law was determined to be unconstitutional and Municipalities were not to write any laws that would alter this Constitutional right to anchor. The time factor which is the part of the problem of the law. Municipalities such as in Miami overreached there enforcement of their laws on purpose to get sailing vessels to move them on within 3 days with no regard to weather, which is a very dangerous situation. Sailors wait for favorable weather to cross the Golf Stream I have heard of sailors waiting three to four weeks waiting for the Gulf Stream to lay down. Predominate wind in Miami is North wind or North East which will kick up a huge waves in the Gulf Stream. I have dropped at least $400,000 plus over the eight years we have been in Florida waters. I am one of thousands and if we left there would be a huge economic affect. The boat show">Miami Boat show should be moved as well. We will be welcome in the Bahamas if this is the direction Florida wants to go. Property rights stop at the end of the lot. If property owners on the waterfront don't like to look at boats maybe they should have bought on the Golf Course. Some people say my boat is nice to look at. The one thing there is no question about is there property rights stop at their property. There is no doubt the water was a navigable water way long before the subdivision was built and marine law for several hundred years is in our favor and should be left alone. There is also a new derelict boat law that is all that is needed, anchoring should not have any thing to do with the derelict boat problem. Unless they are discriminating on the poor sailor.
jamestholtzinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 09:23   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Last time I signed one of these petitions I was bombed with requests to sign every other daft petition somebody put up, not implying this one is a daft one mind. I live overlooking a popular ICW anchorage in Florida but am NOT a wealthy landowner. As a boat owner I naturally have NO money left! There are laws in place already I believe to remove derelict boats, it just needs the local government's will to do something and their enforcers to go do it. we actually have a motor yacht anchored off us at present that is not a transient, just a cheapskate liveaboard but the boat is not a scruffy derelict and has the required ( by FWC) Anchor light displayed every night, unlike I might add did the three transients anchored there last night that went off northwards at daybreak. There used to be two others like the 24/7 anchored motor yacht, one even sank but was refloated, repaired and returned but then all three one day moved half a mile away to another popular spot, two of those remain there but the third, the motor yacht returned to anchor back near us. I won't say i'm not a little bit concerned because last year one anchored (a sailboat) was found to be a floating Meths lab but laws exist surely to take action on that without any new anchoring ones to add to the confusion.

I want to continue to cruise and freely anchor my boat in Florida and other waters but at the same time do so without pissing off locals by getting in their face, that surely suits me just as well as them, I don't want them staring in my cockpit from their lawn any more than they want me watching them skinny dipping in the pool.

Will signing really make any difference?? twist my arm if so !!
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 10:20   #12

Boat: Offshore 33 cat ketch

I sail, anchor, and live on the water in Florida....and, I'm far from wealthy or one of the few for that matter. This law is the result of loud, obnoxious, inconsiderate boaters who use their right of navigation as a weapon to annoy the "few wealthy" home owners by camping in their back yard because they can. This and the proliferation of abandoned boats in these so called anchorages have consequences. Of course, this could have been avoided by mutual respect, common courtesy, and a smattering of common sense, but those are commodities in short supply these days. If we're lucky, maybe the bill will be defeated, and boaters will smarten up and anchor with EVERYONE's rights in mind........geeez, what the likelihood of that happening! 😩
mserafi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 10:42   #13

Boat: Scout 30

When a state restricts anchoring in a navigable waterway it's a dangerous precedent. The freedom to be able to anchor in Florida is a constant battle that every boater has a stake in. Freedoms are eroded in small steps while the majority of us are asleep at the wheel. No normal boater would anchor within 200' of a residence so most boaters will say that does not apply to me so why fight it. The writers of this bill know that. However, "within 200' of a residence" is a red herring. The fact that they can legislate where you can't anchor is the point.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 11:01   #14
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

I have signed the petition and I have written my officials. I don't believe the issue is about derelict boats or pollution of any type. Those problems could be solved very easily. If the same amount of effort was put into enforcing current laws and getting rid of the derelicts and ticketing the offenders, the problem could be solved with all parties in agreement. I think the real problem that results in legislation like this (and the multitude of other BS laws that these groups have tried to get passed), is the homeowner who feel that they have a right to control the access to the waterways that their houses were built next to.

Also, these waterways are not just for Floridians. They are for all of the citizens of this country to enjoy.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2015, 12:13   #15

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk Koornstra View Post
When the government start restricting a certain group's movements in favor of others, we start to live in a society where we create elites with special privileges. That is against the US Constitution. If you support such action, governments will restrict more and more over time, till they come for you. Do not blame the government when they start restricting your movements and no one is around anymore to protect your rights.
lol, we let them take over the health care system with a simple majority on a budget vote (not a health care vote) on Christmas Eve.... little too late for restricting government...

~ Following Cs ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease