Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 16:00   #31

Re: Idiot question #4 How do you contact the Marina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Kiwi View Post
In addition to preceding comments, many berthholders advise the marina manager when their berth will be vacant and available for others to use. Where I am, the berthholder and the Marina operator share the income from the casuals. Especially in holiday weekends, this offsets berthholders costs, and more so for berths situated close to Marina reception.

The following it pretty obvious, but as it does happen ... a casual occupant of a berth should never touch, use or adjust the lines pre-existing on the berth. They'll be arranged so the returning vessel can easily grab them with boathook,, in any wind conditions, and their length will be set for a particular vessel. Single handed in a wind, I could hook and use my portside stern spring to arrest the boats' backward movement within inches of the walkway. I anyone changed its setup, I could be doing damage.

Use your own lines. Failure to do so is what contributes to berthholders not making their berth available for casual visitors ... and helps clog the whole system up.
Just learned something else. While my parents taught me don't touch others ****, it is obvious other peoples parents didn't do as thorough of a job. It is interesting to learn a reason I shouldn't. Thanks.
landlockedsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 17:41   #32

Boat: Whitby 42 , Ketch

Groundtakle had it right.
a couple of years ago all the marinas in B.C.Canada changed there calling channel
to 66a ( in U.S. mode ).They will not monitor CH 16.
the Can .Coast Guard will contact you if you call a Marina on 16.
Cheers
Siggi
svthreecheers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 18:05   #33

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

16 vhf/anchor and use your dingy
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 19:08   #34

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

As previously stated, Active captain, others include marinas.com and cruisingguide.com. If you just get on cruisingguide.com, many of your questions will be answered about cruising. For instance you would see that 99% of the marinas list their phone number. The internet is a wonderful thing.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 19:42   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

66a for pretty much every marina in my part of Canada's west coast. Can't speak for the least coast.
Nick

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-07-2016, 20:24   #36

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

On the Great Lakes you contact marinas on VHF 68. Leave 16 for hailing only!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 20:47   #37

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlockedsquid View Post
So reading the threads by the guy looking for a LA slip in the Bay got me to thinking.
When you are out, coming into a strange/foreign/new port, and there is a Marina you'd like to stay in, how do you go about contacting them to find out if they have an opening for you?
one thing you could do, depending on the time of day, is sail by the marina and simply ask people at their boats how to contact the marina. also, you could anchor out and row your tender in to go to the marina office.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 22:08   #38

Maggie drum is correct. But I would add that in a lot of cases you can anchor out and get to the marina in your dinghy. Either directly into the marina or to some place where you can walk or take a short taxi ride. This gives you the advantage of actually seeing your slip before you have to enter it. And as has been pointed out before, this all gets easier and easier with time.
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 15:07   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

It's certainly wise to practice those procedures that are commonly accepted in your cruising area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
On the Great Lakes you contact marinas on VHF 68. Leave 16 for hailing only!
It's true that "hailing" is strictly defined as calling another vessel, at yet it's very common for marinas on the US East Coast to monitor 16 and respond to "hailing" with their advise to switch to their specific working channel. In many locations there is too much marina-vessel communication for one channel such as 68 to be useful as the only working channel for marinas.

Often one marina may have several vessels standing by on their working channel waiting for fuel dock or slip assignments while there are several other marinas, just as busy within a few miles.

Actual practices can vary by location.
Old 14-07-2016, 08:25   #40

Boat: 2001 Catalina 400 MKII
Send a message via MSN to CCR2580

Sign up for "Active Captain" it's free and will give you the names of most marinas and their hailing channels, costs, available fuels and misc. services.
CCR2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 05:30   #41

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I've found that only the larger marinas monitor 16 in the Northeast. The guy or gal on the docks usually has a handheld, set only to their working channel. Working channels are all over the place. In some regions, nearby marinas use different channels so they don't step on each other. Often all the marinas in the same region use the same working channel. I've seen 9, 68 and 71 widely used, but there are others.

Active Captain, or the port info on your chartplotter, will tell you. Last resort, pull in and look lost, or tie up to the fuel dock. Someone should notice you and help.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 06:48   #42

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Clark H356 View Post
Use Active Captain and call on cell phone and make a reservation. If you are just arriving, hail on 16 and they will switch you to their working channel. If you make a reservation and are going to be late, call before closing time and ask for instructions. They may tell you to tie up at the fuel dock or assign you a slip number. I've done all of the above. If you arrive late, sometimes they will have a guard on duty that can check you in. Sometimes, you just wait until they open in the morning and go settle up then.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
In North America this is our normal system.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 06:59   #43

Boat: Liberty 458

Prior planning is your first option. Otherwise vhf ch 16 or cell service and an internet search for the harbor masters number

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote