Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2019, 21:32   #16

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Re: Ideas on building a DIY gin pole.

Here are a couple shots of the rig:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190803_102248_resized.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	201740   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190815_074302_resized.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	201741  

Name:	20190831_115040_resized.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	201742  

Old 19-10-2019, 11:12   #17

Boat: Seaward 25, Beneteau 40

Down and dirty - no welding needed. On the mast end, drill and tap the end of a steel cap for a bolt sized to fit into your mast then thread it onto the end of your pipe. On the other end, smash the end with a sledge hammer until it is flat then drill a hole through the flattened pieces and attach a shackle. I did the second part on my gin pole for our Seaward 25. Has worked well for 40 or so raising/lowerings over the past 10 years.

canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 04:48   #18

Boat: Catalina 25

While inspecting the roller furler yesterday, my halyard messenger let go of the halyard near the top, so bringing the mast down again has become more urgent. I'll be making some improvements today. Just found another DIY video with a good lesson on selecting pole material. His first attempt crumples.

He uses a block and tackle from gin pole to bow. I'm moving in that direction, because right now I need to use the trailer winch which is awkward for solo handling.

JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 06:03   #19

I went to the box store and bought square alumun awning post and thick square alumun tubing to fit inside it. I drilled holes for sliding the inter pole to the correct length. They sell fittings for the post to conect to wharever you want. I always use baby stays from the gin pole and from the mast for raising and lowering.
Billnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2019, 08:41   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billnpr View Post
I always use baby stays from the gin pole and from the mast for raising and lowering.

Our boat has baby stays for the mast, starting at the mast attached with the lower shrouds and going to the deck on each side even with the mast. They work well. The only downside is that they were 'aftermarket' and not 'factory'...which in this case means that a previous owner installed eye bolts and wooden risers through the balsa-cored deck rather that having stainless plates bolted through the solid fiberglass sides. None of this was done with butyl mastic or marine sealant either so there is some core damage from moisture along with it. There is a piece of double braid with a metal plate on each end. This may be the baby stays for the gin pole itself but I have yet to try to use it.
Old 26-10-2019, 15:00   #21

Boat: Columbia T-26

Ok, So I built a gin pole in a hurry (I wanted to get out on the water) out of a 2x4 and I bolted a 2x10 to one end that I notched to fit the width of my mast (semi snug). At the top of my pole I attached two eyes. I was able to raise the mast but I needed help from two other people to keep it steady while I raised it and it was anything but graceful. Lowering it was a pain as well. So I found this Video from a Catalina 25' Website and I'm newly Inspired !! This looks like it will definitely work and It will work on the water. The Catalina Owners swear by it.
Video: https://youtu.be/EsLxujYRsMQ
Post’s from Catalina Website offering more details on how to build: Association Forum - Mast raising system
IrieSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2019, 15:38   #22

Thanks for the update, IrieSailor.* I think that video you posted is really about a system for temporarily lowering the mast forward just for clearing bridges, and then raising it again. There may be too much weight forward of the pulpit to detach*the base of the mast for stowing in trailering position.

I have been working on my own system this weekend, using a gin pole for lowering the mast aft. I completed the new baby stays for both gin pole and mast with chains to put their pivot points in line with the mast pivot. They worked well. I lost confidence in the 1"x8' poplar pole while raising the mast yesterday. So, today I made a new one out of an 8-foot, 16-gauge galvanized steel fence post. The gin pole has two eyes at the top, bolted through, one for the halyards and one for the winch line. I calculated that these will bear about 360 lbs of force, so got fittings rated for 1000 lbs. I am sure this is overengineered, but am a bit nervous about dropping the mast when a part fails.

I have plans for making a mast crutch with a roller, but did not get to that today.
Old 27-10-2019, 10:45   #23

Joe I have a Roller Furling jib, So even in my thrown together pole I did attach the Roller Furler and my jib Halyard both just in case something failed. (I did'nt have a 2x4 long enough on hand that would raise the roller furler high enough to raise with it (needed 11ft I only had a 9 ft 2x4) so I raised the mast with the Jib Halyard. If the Jib Halyard failed then the mast would have dropped 2-3 ft before being held by the roller furling extrusion. Scary ! But It was preventative. Worked but I’ll not do it again. I’m a bit confused about what you found wrong with the Catalina Link I sent ? Just getting ready to head to the Hardware store to pick up the bit’s to build it. The A frame attaches to the forward lower shroud chainplates. Works on the same principles as a traditional Gin pole I believe; just better supported and prevents mast sway. Are you suggesting there may be too much downward force being placed on the deck Chainplates ? The upper forward Shrouds are also attached to the A frame to offer even more stability. When the mast is lowered the upper portion of the mast rest’s on a crutch at the stern. To stow/trailer you would remove the base of the mast from the pulpit then slide it forward and attach the base of the mast to your bow pulpit. The centre of gravity when raising would be dispersed pretty well I believe , shared between two deck chainplates. I’m not sure I’d want the A frame to remain on deck while out sailing.
Old 27-10-2019, 10:55   #24

If anyone could post a picture of how they are setting up baby stays that would be helpful.. My Neighbour has a trimaran that utilizes baby stay’s to raise and lower his mast but the boat has designated chain plates specifically for this purpose. The chainplates are not used for any other reason and stick out of the deck with nothing atached to them once the mast is raised (I’ve often pointed that out to him after stubbing my toes on the dam things lol)
Old 27-10-2019, 19:32   #25

As mentioned before, the deck ends of my baby stays were homemade by a previous owner. The deck hardware is in line with the mast pivot. The mast ends are fastened where the lower stays are. I leave mine on all the time. The only stay that is removed for raise/lower/transit is the fore stay going from gin pole to its place on the bow of the boat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SW21babystays1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	202182   Click image for larger version

Name:	SW21babystays2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	202183  

Old 06-11-2019, 15:45   #26

I tested out my new gin pole for the first time today. It worked well. I documented the system with pictures at the link below. Here is a summary.
  • Gin pole: Made from a galvanized steel post, 8’ long, 16 gauge. I had been considering a longer pole, but 8’ is a standard pole length, and this will ensure I stop the raising at a key point to check the stay turnbuckle alignments, before completing the raising by pushing on the mast or gin pole itself. The gin pole has two eyes at the top, bolted through, one for the halyards and one for the winch line. I calculated that these will bear about 360 lbs of force, so got fittings rated for 1000 lbs.
  • The bottom of the gin pole has a wooden saddle with non-slip material where the saddle contacts the mast.
  • Baby stays to the mast. Chain secured with shackles to stanchion bases, long enough that top of triangle is in line with mast pivot pin. Used a line with a monkey’s fist to get the baby stays over the spreaders. At the base, used a butterfly knot with truckers hitch to get as much tension on mast baby stays as I could manage. There are also baby stays to the gin pole.
  • The main sheet block and tackle provided the lifting force. I ran the sheet back to the winch in the cockpit. The weak point seems to be the pins at the base of the blocks themselves. During the lowering with these, I used the trailer winch as a backup, in case the main sheet blocks or any new hardware failed.
  • Laid padding on cabin top to absorb some of the impact if the lowering system failed. Closed the cabin top to reduce impact angle.
Pictures: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...d7lvM51d_3/pub
Old 10-11-2019, 08:18   #27

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

That's my video of lowering a Catalina 25 mast. The device is called an A-frame not a gin pole. Easy to construct from EMT conduit.

Here is the original video lowering the mast to the stern and then raising back up:

I needed to do this on every outing and on the way back in. Needless to say I got pretty good at it.

Here is video of us lowering as we motor down the canal to the low bridge:

I have multiple posts on the Catalina International 25 Association forum about how to use and make one.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 16:58   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
I tested out my new gin pole for the first time today. It worked well. I documented the system with pictures at the link below. Here is a summary.
  • Gin pole: Made from a galvanized steel post, 8’ long, 16 gauge. I had been considering a longer pole, but 8’ is a standard pole length, and this will ensure I stop the raising at a key point to check the stay turnbuckle alignments, before completing the raising by pushing on the mast or gin pole itself. The gin pole has two eyes at the top, bolted through, one for the halyards and one for the winch line. I calculated that these will bear about 360 lbs of force, so got fittings rated for 1000 lbs.
  • The bottom of the gin pole has a wooden saddle with non-slip material where the saddle contacts the mast.
  • Baby stays to the mast. Chain secured with shackles to stanchion bases, long enough that top of triangle is in line with mast pivot pin. Used a line with a monkey’s fist to get the baby stays over the spreaders. At the base, used a butterfly knot with truckers hitch to get as much tension on mast baby stays as I could manage. There are also baby stays to the gin pole.
  • The main sheet block and tackle provided the lifting force. I ran the sheet back to the winch in the cockpit. The weak point seems to be the pins at the base of the blocks themselves. During the lowering with these, I used the trailer winch as a backup, in case the main sheet blocks or any new hardware failed.
  • Laid padding on cabin top to absorb some of the impact if the lowering system failed. Closed the cabin top to reduce impact angle.
Pictures: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...d7lvM51d_3/pub
Well done !!
Old 10-11-2019, 17:22   #29

Boat: Sandpiper 565

I'm late to this, but on our boat I made a ginpole out of about 1-1/8" thick-walled aluminum tube, about 7 ft long. Where it meets the mast base it has a sort of a U bracket from aluminum bar (1.5" x 1/4" thick, bent into a U) that "grabs" the mast. It's faced with neoprene where it contacts the mast, and I tie it on so it doesn't slip off. The other end there's another piece of bar sticking out about 3", with two big holes for shackles. On this end the jib halyard is attached, the other hole is shackled to a block for line going from the bow fitting through the block and then through the bow roller for a 2:1 hoist. Hope this makes sense, i don't have pictures handy.

I added baby stays to the mast, and I also have rope stays on the ginpole, through a padeye about midway.

The previous owner welded up a great crutch from a T fencepost with pintles and gudgeons to fit the rudder mount. I also made a smaller aluminum crutch that ties to the swim ladder for cruising with the mast down.

HTH...
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 17:33   #30

Davy J, I'm in the process of building the same A-frame as you have but I'm having trouble. I own a Columbia T 26 my forestay (rollerfurling ext) is 30ft long. I bought 10ft galv poles and went to work with the drill press. Hammered out the nipples to fit my forward Lower shroud chainplates and drilled them. Hooked everything up only to realize 10ft is not high enough ! Well It doesn’t appear to be high enough in my opinion. When I lift the poles vertically and attach the roller furling there’s a lot of sag in the extrusion. If I use longer poles then I'll end up running the A frame into my bow pulpit when attempting to raise the mast. I'll still be able to use the A frame I believe but I don’t think I'll be able to use my forestay to attatch to the a frame. I'll need to use the jib Halyard and attach that to the A frame although I'm not comfortable with that option. Am I missing something ? I did'nt try to raise the mast yet using the A frame I just set it up and looked at and thought: By the time the A frame reaches my deck my mast will only be a bit more than half way up.

Tags
DIY