Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2019, 15:09   #1

Ideas for best trailerable cruising boat

Ideally would like to have boat in lake Lanier part time then be able to haul to fla to head to the Bahamas.

Wish list
37-43 ft
Wide beam for comfort & space
keel for Bahamas and fla keys.
Possible to single hand
Able to set up self sustaining as much as possible.

Thanks in advance!

May not be possible to trailer and have which list if when trailering I mean not using a hauler.
MikeHelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 16:53   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Ideas for best trailerable cruising boat

Most states require special transportation permits once you get over 8-8.5' wide, and restrict which routes you can use.

https://oversize.io/regulations/over...y-restrictions

http://www.greatharbourtrawlers.com/...resources.html

That narrow a beam tends to mean 28-32' LOA max, and then only a small subset of designs.

Also the bigger you go, the more the skillset (experience) needs to approach that of a good professional, dropping the mast takes multiple people

and launch ramps get rarer, likely need a staffed yard / marina with a hoist / slings.

Frequency of which can get very sparse, and/or expensive in some regions.

Not trying to discourage you, just realize sticking to smaller yachts makes occasional trailering a lot easier.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 17:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHelms View Post
Wish list
37-43 ft

Not trailerable, unless you own a boat transportation company, and are able to get overwide permits for the routes you want.

How about a 30 ft boat on the coast, and a 17 ft boat for the lake?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 17:25   #5
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Permits are not hard, just inconvenient.

And yes equipment and skillset is required, insurance an issue I'm sure, but

no real need to go commercial.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 18:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Most states require special transportation permits once you get over 8-8.5' wide, and restrict which routes you can use.

https://oversize.io/regulations/over...y-restrictions

http://www.greatharbourtrawlers.com/...resources.html

That narrow a beam tends to mean 28-32' LOA max, and then only a small subset of designs.

Also the bigger you go, the more the skillset (experience) needs to approach that of a good professional, dropping the mast takes multiple people

and launch ramps get rarer, likely need a staffed yard / marina with a hoist / slings.

Frequency of which can get very sparse, and/or expensive in some regions.

Not trying to discourage you, just realize sticking to smaller yachts makes occasional trailering a lot easier.

Thanks so much did not even think about those logistical roadblocks.
I’ll look for a boat sea side.
MikeHelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 18:39   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

If you keep the beam under 11 feet it's manageable.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:39   #8

Boat: Island Packet 32

Only one option to meet your specs. Seaward Yachts with retractable keels. They are pricey and complicated. I have an old 25 shadow draft wing keel sitting on a trailer looking unloved. I moved up to an IP32 and kept it, thinking I would use it on inland lakes but never did. But I used it all over Fla and Georgia for 12 years. You can find them on the used market pretty reasonable. The closest thing you're going to get to a true coastal cruiser on a trailer. Seaward Yachts | Sail Without Boundaries
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:51   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

"keel for Bahamas and fla keys."

Anything on the west and north side of the keys and a lot of the less populated islands in the Bahamas require pretty shallow draft. Our 5' draft doesn't restrict us, but there are miles and miles of 7' water, and then it drops to 6,000'.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:11   #10

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

We have a Seaward 32RK. LOA 34'-7", LWL 30'-7", beam 10'-6". Thanks to the retractable keel and a draft of 20" fully retracted, she rides on a triple axle trailer that looks a lot more like a power boat trailer than a sailboat trailer. Overall height on trailer is 13'-4" so bridge clearance is no problem. It is true that a wise person will obtain permits and follow prescribed routes when transporting, but some folks don't. We pull ours with a 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel.

It is not complicated, nor difficult to step and unstep the mast. The mast raising system is effective, simple to use and fits in the back of the truck. I actually made a time lapse of us stepping the mast. It's on you tube. Just need some Benny Hill music and it would be more entertaining. I also uploaded the factory video instructions. https://youtu.be/WBzxd7vEkwg

As far as cruisability, it's a great boat for 2 with Vberth, aft quarter berth, galley, salon, setee and head with stand up shower. It's doable for a family of 4. We have dragged the boat from Maryland to Iowa, Florida and back and hope to take it to the Bahamas in a couple of years. Performance is great! She points very well and lowering the keel increases righting moment significantly for either comfort or performance depending on your mood.

There are some things to be aware of on some of them, like all boats. We bought ours to move between FL and IA as the (hurricane) seasons change and it's about the biggest boat that's trailerable with a truck like ours. Other than the permits, it's not much different than pulling a Macgregor 26M around. Yes, we know from experience.
Any questions, feel free to pm me.
Best,
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:17   #11

look at the F27 folding trimarans
JohnHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:56   #12

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Ideally would like to have boat in lake Lanier part time then be able to haul to fla to head to the Bahamas.

Wish list
37-43 ft
Possible to single hand

Thanks in advance!

May not be possible to trailer and have which list if when trailering I mean not using a hauler.
Check out some or the folding trimarans by Corsair. They're not cheap but can be trailered (apparently with some effort) due to the folding amas. Not real sure if they make anything quite as large as what you're suggesting but I do know they're made up to 35'.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:15   #13

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:

Wish list
37-43 ft
Possible to single hand

Thanks in advance!

Google Seaward 46RK. Both keel and rudder retract and is available with a trailer. Mast is designed to be raised and lowered by one or two people. We seriously thought about buying one a few years back.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:31   #14

There are several folding trimarans, up to mid-30's feet, trailerable and capable of ocen passages.
See Farrier, Corsair, Contour, Kurt Huges, etc.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:30   #15

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Mike, two things you didn’t mention. One, your budget. Two, what vehicle you plan on doing it with.

I have two trailerable boats. One I keep for delta and local areas... like Tahoe.
It has a swing keel and is called a Sharpie. See them on yacht world and boat listings from time to time. It is 28 foot. But my trimaran is a 30 footer and I keep it down in Mexico in San Carlos.

I will make the case for trailerable boats every time. They are the correct choice for many reasons. Interesting things happen when a boat sits in salt water 365 days a year. Growth, corrosion, humidity, insurance, mooring fees, UV damage to halyards and paint. Costs by state and local municipal tax people who want to rape you because you have a boat in the water. Thank u California. But I’m sure other states do it also. Attendant problems of getting down to the boat for weather checks and mechanical checks.

When on a trailer you escape almost all of these issues... or at a fraction of in the water boats. But the main reason trailer boats are wonderful is you can drive them to a sailing venue and drop them in. Stay a couple of days or a month. Then back home or find a storage area and button her up.

Look closely at the Corsairs or Farriers. Same designer. I have a Condor 30 foot. She is trailer able but not as easy to launch or derig as the Corsair. But I didn’t pay a third of their cost. I can stand up in mine and has a decent galley and toilet that can stand up in. With trimarans you get speed up to mid teens without pushing them. You won’t see that in mono hills unless you have boo coo money. They are shallow draft. I think mine draws 18 inches with center board up. They are completely different design than lead keel. So my boat weighs 3500 lbs. I have a one ton diesel dually.

There is also the Pacific Seacraft. The small ones are less than 28 foot and solid blue water cruisers. There are also the Contessa 26 footers that can be trailered. But boats with full keels are no joke. Really need a marina and crane to launch. Not a ramp boat IMO.

Wish u luck.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising, trailer