Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2019, 03:00   #31

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK
Re: Ideas for best trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Ha ha, MJ Gill, when I saw the water storage I thought what the he!!? But it is an amazing boat. Did u buy it new?
We are the second owners and really like the boat. It has a lot of great features beyond the retractable keel.

The boat comes with 65 gallons fresh water capacity. However, the original owners installed a Nature's Head composting toilet when it was built, so what would have been the 30 gallon black water tank is potable water now making 95 gallons total. That will come in handy when we go to FL and the Bahamas.
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:16   #32

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Hi Joel, I think you just went to the manufacturer's website...which doesn't include any interior photos...strange, huh?

But I have seen plenty of pics of Brian's cat2fold. It has interior sleeping quarters, galley, toilets.

If you go back to search on Google...just type in cat2fold sports and recreation and see Brian's Facebook postings. You can see interior photos of what I speak of. It is no beach cat. I can't think of one boat of this size that can be trailered. Is it spartan? Yes. My tri is spartan. But I like it like that. Simple to maintain. Comfortable with 2 berths that can sleep a couple in each berth. Can't get that in a Farrier/Corsair.

Any way...if you are so inclined...check out the Facebook pics of Brian's boat. He is very well known in Sea of Cortez. Also won races and he is no racer...the boat is fast.
Ah, I see now that they're using the hulls for the live aboard facilities. I couldn't figure out how they'd fit a galley and head in that dog house on top. Looks like it'd make a great Baja Cruiser or even for the Carib but I might be a little leary of taking it across the Pacific or Indian Ocean. It seems it's current owner has come to the same conclusion as he's looking for a larger cat when he sells this one. Odd that the mfg. pictures do not show any of that.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:25   #33

Boat: 1980 Choate CF40

a lot of people dont seem to be aware that Hobie made a 33' monohull trailer sailer. It's probably as close as your going to get without going to some sort of special hauling setup. https://www.boats.com/reviews/used-b...view-hobie-33/
Morgali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 06:14   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Has anyone tried out the Seapiper? Designed for this sort of thing, with long range but I assume coastal capability, but is it successful at this?
Old 15-12-2019, 08:51   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Has anyone tried out the Seapiper? Designed for this sort of thing, with long range but I assume coastal capability, but is it successful at this?
Old 15-12-2019, 09:14   #36

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Very few boats meet your requirements of size, cost, and realistic trailering. There are some trimarans that are smaller than your OP mentioned that are quite easy to trailer but don't really lend themselves to cruising for any length of time. Still I would look to a Corsair 31 (maybe a C28/7 as well) if it fits your budget. Some of the lower end tris like Contour or Telstar might also be a consideration. Thing is it is hard to beat a Corsair for ease of trailering and taking apart and putting together.

If you are considering a monohull keep in mind not just the issues with things like permits, launching, raising the mast, and the like. A bigger issue may be what type of vehicle needed to safely pull it. Even a C31 needs a significant vehicle to tow it with and a much heavier monohull might require a special license to drive a vehicle carrying a heavy load.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 07:12   #37

Consider a Nor'Sea 27.
We moved ours from Washington state to Lake Lanier!! Then trailed it to San Francisco. After years there, cruised full time for years. Now do part time cruising. Towed back to the Bay area from Mexico, then to New Orleans & cruised over to Fl. then towed back to Az. Then back to Fl. All the info on our web site and towing info on our Youtube channel. www.svguenevere.com

LOVE THE BOAT!!!
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 07:15   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHelms View Post
Ideally would like to have boat in lake Lanier part time then be able to haul to fla to head to the Bahamas.

Wish list
37-43 ft
Wide beam for comfort & space
keel for Bahamas and fla keys.
Possible to single hand
Able to set up self sustaining as much as possible.

Thanks in advance!

May not be possible to trailer and have which list if when trailering I mean not using a hauler.
I have never had a trailer able boat. But I looked into it thoroughly. Many people that have gone that route say it ends up meaning they sail a lot less because of the additional hassles and complications involved. I think you might be happier having a fun, small boat good in light air and when there are a lot of changes in wind direction for Lake Lanier and a boat on the Georgia Coast best suited for the sailing there including doing an ocean passage to the Bahamas. Don't know how experienced you are but before investing in a boat to safely and comfortably do an ocean passage to the Bahamas do a couple of similar passages first and fully understand what is involved.

If you want to go the trailer able route check out Seward 32 RK and 26 RK. neither needs a permit. In decent conditions a 32 RK can within reason cross the Gulf Stream and do a passage to the Bahamas. For a trailer able boat that would be good for Lake Lanier and Georgia Coastal sailing check out Com Pac Boats. Com Pacs offer some trailer able cat boats that are much easier to get the mast up and down and trailer but are not really suitable to do a passage to the Bahamas. Com Pac also has a trailer pilot house sailboat(that is 8.5 ft wide(therefore does not need a permit), that some have done long open ocean passages in like to the Bahamas. But I think most would consider doing that as marginal.

Everybody is different with different budgets, needs, wants and desires. If it was me and I lived close to Lake Lanier, I would get a something like a Laser for Lake Lanier if I wanted to race or a Com Pac cat boat if I wanted to "cruise" on Lake Lanier and needed enough space for two people to sleep on for a long weekend or a week tops. Then I would charter for my ocean sailing. Or for "cruising" Lake Lanier and you want more space to serve as a second home find a used 36'-38' cruiser for a good price that has always been on Lake Lanier. Then charter all over the world for ocean sailing or do a deal with Dream Yachts or Moorings
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 07:35   #39

Boat: 2 tris and others

Mike, I think the "best" all round choice would be a Seaward 32 given your stated requirements, but there are a lot of alternatives. A past friend had an 32' keel boat on Lake Lanier, had a custom trailer built for it and every couple of years trailered it to Florida and went cruising in the Bahamas and other places. It is all based on your experience level and how much effort and money you can put into it.

My current boat is a 33' tri and is on Lake Lanier, I purchased it in Miami, it is transportable and I do haul it and step the mast myself. It takes time but is not difficult.

If you are not experienced I would strongly suggest starting with something smaller and practice for a couple of years.

B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	33rainbowspin 2019.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	205181   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1634.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	205182  

bruceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 08:24   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
About 99% positive that the 46RK is not trailerable. The 32RK is though for sure. Here's ours before launch.

No way a Seward 46 RK is trailer able. It is 13.25' wide and has a displacement of 23,000 lbs. Moving it over land probably is possible, but would require a huge rig, professional help to get in/out of the water and to haul it, a lead car and a car behind, permits for every State, and expensive insurance, all adding up to a very high price tag.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 11:45   #41

Boat: J-Boats, J-27
Lightbulb Re: Ideas for best trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHelms View Post
Wish list
37-43 ft
Wide beam for comfort & space
keel for Bahamas and fla keys.
Possible to single hand
Able to set up self sustaining as much as possible.
Have been eyeing the J-Boats J-95 with centerboard option for some time for similar appeal. Not as big as your wish list, but has all the other items beat...

Not sure what your budget is. Not many used ones out there... with c-board.

https://www.jboats.com/resources/jwo...ool/13-j95/j95

https://www.triadtrailers.com/triad-...5-30-feet/j95/
JMaav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 12:19   #42

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Don't forget a 40ft yacht is likely to weigh between 7 and 15 tonnes depending on design. That kind of weight can't be trailered on a standard driving licence, at least not in the UK, so you are looking at a Goods Vehicle licence at least.

Have you looked at the Dragonfly trimarans? They look fun and have a decent cabin for a trimaran plus are very very trailerable as they come with a purpose built one.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 12:24   #43

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/fast-40
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 13:16   #44

Boat: Sea Sprite 34

Alberg 30 is trailerable. Done so by Yves Gelinas..sailed and trailered 10s of thousands of miles

Nor'sea 27
Bristol 27

Im sure there are others...these are just a few examples of boat that i know of that are regularly cruised on
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 13:20   #45
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
sure there are others...these are just a few examples of boat that i know of that are regularly cruised on
Pretty much covered in the threads listed in #3.

But not relevant if OP is sticking to their ength requirement over ability to self-trailer
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising, trailer