Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-07-2015, 20:14   #16

Boat: OPB = Crewing in 2017
Re: Ideal sailboat size for self launching and hauling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesmith View Post
Ideal depends on where you are going to use the boat and what you have to tow it with.

We used to have a Hunter 23.5, and now have a Seaward 25. The Seaward is a big 25 (close to 27' l.o.a.). The trailer on the Seaward is double axle and has brakes. Other than the extra weight, it tows better than the Hunter did. It takes about the same amount of time to rig either boat (the Seaward maybe a little longer). That said, it gets old fast (for me, at least) to rig a sailboat every time I want to sail, so we kept both boats in slips for the summer. We also trailer the boat to other places, but unless it's for at least a week's cruise, it's not worth the effort for me. The slip makes the difference whether we use our boat or not (and we use it a lot).

The pluses of the larger boat is that it has an enclosed marine head, a diesel inboard, it handles the wind and waves of the Great Lakes better when we sail there, and the extra room (the 23.5 was cramped for 2, on a trip). The down side is that it is a more complex boat, and things such as winterizing and maintenance are more involved.

For us, the larger boat is more ideal. The Hunter was a fun boat to sail, though.
Good post!

Ahoy All Sailors! Need experienced crew for a passage or delivery in Atlantic, Pacific, Caribbean, Med, PNW, ICW, coastal or across an ocean anytime in 2017? I am available on 24hr notice. See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details. Happy to lend a hand!
Steady Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 20:35   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavor 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to softgoodsint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesner View Post
I'm selling my 1992 Macgregor 26S which with trailer has a tow weight under 3500 pounds, so even my Rav4 V6 is capable of towing it.
Hello RGesner,
Just curious to ask if you have a listing page somewhere, perhaps showing a few photos and something about price. & where do you have her located now, would that be near Portland?
Just so those few of us who might want to take a closer look, as your description sounds interesting. I'm a big fan of "little" - just small enough to trailer but big enough to sail almost anywhere for a solo sailor. I've only owned a 36' boat, so let me ask, it really is a reasonable one person job to raise the mast? And the outboard is reliable and 'perky'? Thanks in advance for some further into.
Best Regards

softgoodsint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:03   #18

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgoodsint View Post
Hello RGesner,
Just curious to ask if you have a listing page somewhere, perhaps showing a few photos and something about price. & where do you have her located now, would that be near Portland?
Just so those few of us who might want to take a closer look, as your description sounds interesting. I'm a big fan of "little" - just small enough to trailer but big enough to sail almost anywhere for a solo sailor. I've only owned a 36' boat, so let me ask, it really is a reasonable one person job to raise the mast? And the outboard is reliable and 'perky'? Thanks in advance for some further into.
Best Regards
softgoodsint,

Re Macgregor 26S:
Yes, Portland OR. I'm putting together a for sale listing now; I'll post it and PM you in a day or two. Yes, one person can easily raise and lower the mast, the hardest part is moving it back from the trailering position to step the base, which is easier with two. The outboard is a 8HP 4-stroke Honda, plenty of power and very reliable.

- Rusty
Old 05-07-2015, 01:52   #19

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38
Ideal sailboat size for self launching and hauling?

I have a MacGregor 26M, and concur that while it trailers just fine, it's a lot of work to rig, launch, retrieve, and unrig. I can do it alone in about an hour, but that's with practice. If you want easy, stick to 22 feet or below. You might also prefer a cat rig with a forward mast that can simply hinge back without being I stepped. Stepping the mast is more difficult than raising it on trailerable boats. Look at Com-Pac, older MacGregors, and Catalina's.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-07-2015, 05:34   #20

Boat: Outbound 46 -Callisto

Other trailerable boats you might consider include the Precision 21 or 23. Really designed from the ground up for trailering.

Precision Boat Works
Old 05-07-2015, 09:02   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarwindsailor View Post
But leaving it in the water, you pay dock fees year around and algae and other microbes can start to build. I was trying to avoid this especially the fees and for bigger boats fee for having it pulled out of the water and stored is outrageous. But I am also not looking for a status symbol (i.e., shiny boat made of gold). I am just looking for functionality and having a good time on the water.
There is a reason you see very few sailboats at the launch ramp. If you want to go out for 4-5hrs, you need to plan on 7-8hrs by the time you rig and de-rig. Plus if it has a fixed keel, a lot of launch ramps won't be deep enough. Unless you are real hard core, you will probably wind up only taking it out 2-3 times per year and when you calculate the per hour cost of being on the water, the slip/storage fees start looking pretty darn cheap.

Of course, if you get a larger boat and a slip, it does make sense to commit to using it or you run into the same issue. The difference is if it takes 20minutes to get the sail cover off and be on the water, you are far more likely to do it.

If you are dead set on trailerable, get a power boat and dingy/sailboard to feed your sail addiction (there are even some inflatable sail boats). It just makes far more sense.

The cabin on a 20-25' sailboat is going to be half a step above a tent. You really need to move into the upper 20's, lower 30's to get substantial interior living space.

Just our thoughts having gone thru the process.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:14   #22

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
There is a reason you see very few sailboats at the launch ramp. If you want to go out for 4-5hrs, you need to plan on 7-8hrs by the time you rig and de-rig. Plus if it has a fixed keel, a lot of launch ramps won't be deep enough. Unless you are real hard core, you will probably wind up only taking it out 2-3 times per year and when you calculate the per hour cost of being on the water, the slip/storage fees start looking pretty darn cheap.

Of course, if you get a larger boat and a slip, it does make sense to commit to using it or you run into the same issue. The difference is if it takes 20minutes to get the sail cover off and be on the water, you are far more likely to do it.

If you are dead set on trailerable, get a power boat and dingy/sailboard to feed your sail addiction (there are even some inflatable sail boats). It just makes far more sense.

The cabin on a 20-25' sailboat is going to be half a step above a tent. You really need to move into the upper 20's, lower 30's to get substantial interior living space.

Just our thoughts having gone thru the process.
What's wrong with a tent?
Old 05-07-2015, 09:17   #23

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

We spent long weekends on our Precision 18 before upgrading to living aboard. At that size you get a double berth (or two single berths, if you don't want to sleep with your buddy), kneeling room, a porta potti and cooler/step.

We actually felt that this was more suited to our needs than the slightly larger Precision 21, which has a tiny V berth on a different level from the quarter berths. Since the 18 has them on the same level, you can stretch out across both if you are taller.

The point being, it isn't always best to decide on a length first. Layouts can make a big difference in how you use a boat.

Well, that and we are selling the Precision 18.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:22   #24

How about an inflatable catamaran that you can assemble in less than 24 minutes & disassemble in less than 15. And it fits in your trunk!

Ducky | Sailing inflatable catamarans / Надувні вітрильні катамарани / Надувные парусные катамараны
Old 05-07-2015, 09:39   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
What's wrong with a tent?
Nothing, just don't confuse it with a mansion.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:59   #26

Quote:
Cabela's Tent Mansion Is a Dream for Your Next Camping Trip
Old 05-07-2015, 10:05   #27

Quote:
How about these:

Exclusive Tents
Old 05-07-2015, 10:14   #28

What do you need a yacht for...you can get a mansion for a fraction of the price and I'm sure it sets up in mere minutes.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:43   #29

Boat: Sabre 28

If you are looking for a trailer sailer Com-Pac makes a number of boats that are built for day trailer sailing with their Mastendr and Mastendr Plus systems that make raising the mast very easy. They literally take minutes to rig, the easier they are to rig the more like they are to be used.

Check out the Mastendr Plus in this video:

Skip to 4:30 to see the mast raising.

A Suncat, Horizon cat or Eclipse would allow sleeping on it while being easy to trailer.

Com-Pac Yachts: Trailerable Cat Boats, Trailerable Cruisers, and Cruising Sailboats

I had a Compac 23. It is a "trailerable" boat but it would be a lot of work to use it as a trailer sailer. I just trailered it in at the start of the season and out at the end. A few have converted them to gaff rigged cat boats and used a mastendr type hinge on the cut down mast to make them easier to trailer sail. Still would be a project due to the weight and draft.

Shawn
Old 06-07-2015, 21:05   #30

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38

Following on Valhalla360's good advice, Check out the Hobie Tandem Island sail kayak/triamaran. These things are fantastic 2-person sail kayaks that float off the trailer and setup in 5 minutes max. I take mine to the local Lagoon and sail it over long lunch breaks.

For cabin space, pack a tent an beach it. Total expense for everything will be under $10,000 and you'll get more use out if it with no recurring costs.

Tags
sail, sailboat, size

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: