Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2015, 14:20   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43
ICW shoaling and hazards?

Will be traveling down the ICW from Beaufort, NC to St Augustine departing in a couple days.

Is there a good single source link highlighting specific problem stretches ... shoaling, misplaced channel markers, hazards?

My draft is 5'.

Thanks.
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 14:38   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: ICW shoaling and hazards???

Active Captain is what I used in August coming down. They also have a Facebook page with cruisers posting daily. They probably have 8 or 10 members in the area now.

Woody
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 16:27   #3

Boat: Pearson 422

Another vote for Active Captain combined with Garmin Blue Chart. Have it in the cockpit all the time. This year it seems that SC had the worst stretches, although we went outside for some of NC and all of GA so perhaps that's not a fair assessment.
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 17:05   #4

Boat: Pearson 424

Just did New Bern to Charleston a week ago. Active Captain was a huge help. Had it both on iphone and lap top. The iphone is not as good, less detail, but did still help.
Grounded 3 times but was able to ride over the shoaling. I draw 5'-4". Active dredging happening in the area by Isle Of Palms just before Charleston harbor, they've probably dredged the worst part by now
Spindrift NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 19:52   #5

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

yes. check out this site.

EF AICW Problems | Cruisers' Net
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 04:03   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindrift NH View Post
Just did New Bern to Charleston a week ago. Active Captain was a huge help. Had it both on iphone and lap top. The iphone is not as good, less detail, but did still help.
Grounded 3 times but was able to ride over the shoaling. I draw 5'-4". Active dredging happening in the area by Isle Of Palms just before Charleston harbor, they've probably dredged the worst part by now
Was it in the area of Isle of Palms where you grounded 3 times? If not where plz?
Also in those shallow areas can you say if it's best to favor either the red or green side?
Thanks
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 04:29   #7

We didn't hit in the IOP. Took advice on active Captain and entered that area at >3' above MLW. I saw 5.6' in one spot through there, right past the dredge.
I hit once in listed problem area in Camp Lejeune, once south of southport at another area with added red/green markers and a third but don't remember the location. Again, all were listed on Active Captain.
Each night we checked Active Captain for hazards on the next day's segment. After grounding in Camp Lejeune, we started to write down notes with bouy numbers and suggested navigation through the hazards. My second grounding was the result of someone radioing me and giving me bad info. The third was just poor timing with the tides.
All of my groundings were on soft mud/sand so with momentum we rode right over the shoals.
Navionics on my iphone was better than my chart plotter for following the channel but my depth sounder was the best tool when finding my way through the problem areas.
Old 16-12-2015, 08:52   #8

Boat: Bristol 47.7 1985

NC shoaling at Browns Inlet at mile 237 just north of Onslow Co Bridge and Lochwood Folly at mile 237 just south of Southport. Follow day markers, go slow - preferably on rising tide. Salty Southeast Cruisers site (cruisers.net) has posts from Nov on these spots. 5' draw has not been a problem for us.
evbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 08:54   #9

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbird View Post
Another vote for Active Captain combined with Garmin Blue Chart. Have it in the cockpit all the time. This year it seems that SC had the worst stretches, although we went outside for some of NC and all of GA so perhaps that's not a fair assessment.
I just replaced my old Raymarine with Garmin and am very disappointed!!! Garmin charting of the ICW SUCKS!! They don't even have a chart of the St. Augustine Inlet! At least not one with any detail.

Buy Navionics for $9.99 on your phone or iPad, it blows Garmin away.
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 08:56   #10

Went up in the spring from Fort Meyers to Chezpeak. Used active captain as an overlay on my pc based polar navy nav program. Draw 4' 6", never touched once using the active captain advice. Hearty recommendation, and oh so easy.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 09:14   #11

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Having cruised the ICW for 25 years, we learned early on to use multiple sources for information. Not all are perfect and no one will give you all the info you need. Missing just one piece of information can be inconvenient at the least. You have some suggestions. We often check cruisersnet, Cruisers' Net | Cruisers Helping Cruisers , and because I manage the Navigation Notices for Marinalife, Marinalife: Navigational Notices , I am checking dozens of websites and Local Notice To Mariners daily. Most of these websites, etc. will summarize the most important ones, there are hundreds that come out weekly. So try each and decide which one will give you the information you need to safely navigate. You may find that a combination of these will work for you. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 10:04   #12

Boat: Nor'star Flicka 20'

Whatever you do, get Boat US or Sea Tow premium insurance. I went aground so many times in the Carolinas and Georgia that it would have bankrupted me had I not had Boat US. My Flicka only draws 3'3" and I was being vigilant!
DolphinBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 10:13   #13

Tow insurance is an excellent idea, if only for the confidence of navigating the trouble spots. My attitude was to place myself in the best depth/rising tide at the trouble spots and if we got stuck, well "that's why we got tow insurance". I didn't have to make that call but nice knowing.
Sory DolphinBuddy but if you got stuck that many times in the Carolinas, you were getting bad information or something.
Old 16-12-2015, 10:21   #14
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

another vote for Active Captain, overload on my Navimatics Charts & Tides app. Active Captain comments were up to date and much more helpful than any chart, also helped us find good prices on fuel and a few nights at marinas. Active Captain had the best info on bridge times and anchorages too

it was also helpful coming in an inlet in the fog. the charts were useless because the AtoNs are moveable. others in before us left coordinates! we used my iPhone more than the main chart plotter.
Old 16-12-2015, 10:38   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Garmin is like many others, the base map that comes with it isn't all that good, you have to pay for the premium map to get a good map.
Cost lots of bucks to get one for your plotter, but usually the same map for an app is cheap.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw