Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 07:18   #271

Send a message via Skype™ to jasonk
Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

Oops. Sorry jtsailjt and Captain Bill. And to everyone else for that matter. I goofed in the response I sent in to this thread, but it’s merely a typo, an innocent mistake. Strange, because, after I received the angry response from you jtsailjt, I said to my wife, “why the hell are they upset with an opinion? That is why I was so flippant with my response to you. I see why you were upset now. You thought I was deliberately saying nasty things about your friends. The opinion I was trying to get across, frankly, was that I don’t think it’s right or fair to speak ill of someone on a public forum. I don’t even know your friend, the person that was scammed, so I have no cause to make such derogatory statements about him. In fact, I don’t know any of the people in question, any more than I know you. And that is the material point here. I wasn’t even making a point specifically about your friend, or Primadonna. What I was trying to express was related to a much bigger problem, in my mind, anyway. Then, when Captain Bill posted something similar to what jtsailjt was telling me, I went back to my original response and found that you were both referring to a typing error. It should read "I also know one or two other people….” Apologies for that, to you both and to your friend. However, even as it stands now, in my original post, the typos are obvious because those couple of sentences don’t even make sense the way they’re worded. And the tone, I think, throughout my response, makes it pretty clear that I’m against people bashing on public forums.

Horror Hotel, thanks for your response. No offence meant and I didn’t imply any deliberate lack of due diligence on your part. But, again, in my opinion, the question that needed to be asked is what happens when, once we become accustomed to these ‘manhunts,’ on cruisersforum, we end up persecuting innocent people? Or publicly persecuting people that simply don’t deserve it? That was the point I was trying to make.
I feel a little silly about the typo, but, hey, there was never any offence intended.

Warmest regards to all.
Jason
Old 08-01-2014, 07:41   #272
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Castle View Post
Sir. How DARE you resort to common sense!
Every once in a while commonality and my intuition align... like winging downwind.... It's "really quite fun"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
If this thread has crept all the way around to blaming the victim, then certainly we can creeeep just a little more.....just a quick aside.

I just saw this in HappyMdRSailor's post and it brought a smile because it totally got me, I read the first line without glancing at the second and was expecting something SO much more serious...though I can't argue with its truth just as Happy typed it!

" In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything... "

It's hard not to smile with a Mai Tai in your hand.... I'll bet that most of us when offered... might say "what else you got?" if offered a shot, beer, wine, tequila.... But nobody says "no thanks" when handed a Mai Tai....

(ps My special recipe shall be posted today)

Mai Tai's fix everything...
Old 08-01-2014, 09:37   #273

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Some of the rancor around the crew of Primadonna was that even though they had been panhandling/shoplifting, there was alot of sympathy for their situation of being far from home and living the cruising life on limited means. Opinions were that they HAD to do these nefarious acts because of their desperate situation.

So many in the town chipped in cash, time, fuel, parts, and expertise to help them get back on the cruising path. So sometime in the fall Pat Stockwell countersigned a check for Pascal (of Primadonna) and the check turned out to be bogus. So Pat went asking for his money back that the bank had taken. Well only $500 of $3000 was returned and later the two crew of Primadonna were seen having a beer in a local bar.

All small town drama to be sure, but to a town that really attempted to help these wayward cruisers, they essentially got crapped on for their good Samaritan offerings...
Old 08-01-2014, 10:27   #274
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Unfortunately SC there will always be pirates among us. When I come into a port and get viewed suspiciously for the first time I always remember that. Mr. Stockwell has a good heart and will be rewarded more for his karma than that rascal Pascal stole.

Without going into details, I get ripped off occasionally. Sure I would like my money back, but loosing the part of my personality that believes in good first is more important than the money, and putting forth a smile more important than petty theft. People like Mr. Stockwell develop good friends, and a man who has friends is truly rich (with regards to Frank Capra)
Old 08-01-2014, 10:32   #275

Boat: Skookum 53'

You are so right newt. I just get an edge when someone tries to get over on me. The old trust but cut the cards stays with me. I try to see the best in everyone, and it has cost me from time to time, but I can't let myself degenerate into a cynic. It is hard enough being an optimistic degenerate.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:57   #276
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Unfortunately SC there will always be pirates among us. When I come into a port and get viewed suspiciously for the first time I always remember that. Mr. Stockwell has a good heart and will be rewarded more for his karma than that rascal Pascal stole.

Without going into details, I get ripped off occasionally. Sure I would like my money back, but loosing the part of my personality that believes in good first is more important than the money, and putting forth a smile more important than petty theft. People like Mr. Stockwell develop good friends, and a man who has friends is truly rich (with regards to Frank Capra)
+A1..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:05   #277

I have been following this thread and the one before about civil rights attorney in Oriental. I am going to bet that these scammers are not in jail or even in trouble in the Bahamas. They are still using the broken engine story and probably getting help from the locals. They will use that until the people in this area tire of them and they will move on after that. They probably did this down the east coast and all of France. They are like the Irish Travelers and Gypsies we have in the states. This is how they operate and I bet they are better at it than most. They will get help getting their boat off the beach and move to the next spot. Hand out the whole way.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:44   #278

Boat: CD25

I wonder when the last time there passport was stamped? Does Beaufort or Moorehead City have customs.
I doubt Mr. Stockwell will ever get any monetary compensation but here is a phone number for Mayaguana administration office to voice a complaint
242 339 3100 fax242 339 3538
Maybe this message will reach Pat
Old 08-01-2014, 17:40   #279

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonk View Post
Oops. Sorry jtsailjt and Captain Bill. And to everyone else for that matter. I goofed in the response I sent in to this thread, but it’s merely a typo, an innocent mistake. Strange, because, after I received the angry response from you jtsailjt, I said to my wife, “why the hell are they upset with an opinion? That is why I was so flippant with my response to you. I see why you were upset now. You thought I was deliberately saying nasty things about your friends. The opinion I was trying to get across, frankly, was that I don’t think it’s right or fair to speak ill of someone on a public forum. I don’t even know your friend, the person that was scammed, so I have no cause to make such derogatory statements about him. In fact, I don’t know any of the people in question, any more than I know you. And that is the material point here. I wasn’t even making a point specifically about your friend, or Primadonna. What I was trying to express was related to a much bigger problem, in my mind, anyway. Then, when Captain Bill posted something similar to what jtsailjt was telling me, I went back to my original response and found that you were both referring to a typing error. It should read "I also know one or two other people….” Apologies for that, to you both and to your friend. However, even as it stands now, in my original post, the typos are obvious because those couple of sentences don’t even make sense the way they’re worded. And the tone, I think, throughout my response, makes it pretty clear that I’m against people bashing on public forums.

Horror Hotel, thanks for your response. No offence meant and I didn’t imply any deliberate lack of due diligence on your part. But, again, in my opinion, the question that needed to be asked is what happens when, once we become accustomed to these ‘manhunts,’ on cruisersforum, we end up persecuting innocent people? Or publicly persecuting people that simply don’t deserve it? That was the point I was trying to make.
I feel a little silly about the typo, but, hey, there was never any offence intended.

Warmest regards to all.
Jason
You started by throwing up defenses to questions that had long been answered if you had taken the time to become informed.

And now...

It sounds like weasel speak to me.

Warmest of warm regards.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:36   #280

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'
ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdominic_97 View Post
I have been following this thread and the one before about civil rights attorney in Oriental. I am going to bet that these scammers are not in jail or even in trouble in the Bahamas. They are still using the broken engine story and probably getting help from the locals. They will use that until the people in this area tire of them and they will move on after that. They probably did this down the east coast and all of France. They are like the Irish Travelers and Gypsies we have in the states. This is how they operate and I bet they are better at it than most. They will get help getting their boat off the beach and move to the next spot. Hand out the whole way.

(Posted this at our sister site last night)

I talked to someone close to the case last tonight. Word is that he is considered a "fugitive from justice" by the Bahamian Government and he'll probably stay in jail there for quite some time. Will find out more this weekend and get back to y'all.

.FYI... This isn't official by any means, but I consider it pretty reliable. Take it only as second-hand information. I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:14   #281
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

And now...

It sounds like weasel speak to me.

Warmest of warm regards.

weasel speak with warm regards that's a great thought expession
Old 09-01-2014, 05:17   #282

Boat: CD25

Tom
Can you find out about the dog too.
Hope he gets a new home.
They won't have to teach him how to beg!
Old 09-01-2014, 05:30   #283
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

No doubt a Bahamian will salvage it and claim quick local title.

I have some experience with Bahamian salvage and it's finders keepers if you're Bahamian. The US insurance companies don't consider it valid but that won't be an issue in this case.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:43   #284

Boat: O'Day 28

There's a female involved here too. Wonder if she's imprisoned as well?
Old 09-01-2014, 05:48   #285
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes.. Morehead City does have a Customs Office... just alongside the start of the bridge Morehead side... cleared outa there myself a few years back... a nice lady officer (fellow cruiser) dealt with me..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Closed Thread

Tags
French, icw, Oriental, pirates, Primadonna