Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2013, 10:12   #91

Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
So, if someone cheats someone out of a few thousand bucks in the Bronx or on City Island, but then leaves town in their boat for points unkown before it becomes clear that's what they've done as happened in this case, just what sort of "learning experience" do you have in mind that might happen? They've left town so I don't think your standing around in a circle with arms crossed on your chest will leave much of an impression on them. You now say you weren't advocating physical violence but I'm having a hard time understanding just what you DID mean since nobody has any idea where they are and they most certainly aren't in the same area where they committed the offense.
What I was trying to say is that the people I know in that area tend to keep their eyes open & stick together. They put effort into being aware of their surroundings, trying to see the problems that are happening in the area & do something about it. Often, making that situation clear is enough to cause someone to rethink their actions & then try to do the right thing. Sometimes it is not.

This is all in line with my previous post, where I asked - hasn't anyone seen this thing yet? It's not exactly a row boat.

My further comments were born from frustration that nobody has reported seeing it yet. An aggressively observant group of people would make this unfortunate situation less likely.

The second that I mentioned the Bronx, it appears that some people thought I was trying to puff up & act like a tough guy. I was actually reminiscing about the family like atmosphere that exists in some of the neighborhoods up there, where people help their neighbors out.

The learning experience that I spoke of was that these people might learn a valuable lesson if they ran into a group of people who stand together in the face of injustice. In that sort of environment, it is not in their best interest to try to get over on someone the way that they reportedly did.

I think that the OP is handling the situation in a suitable manner. He just needs help finding these people, which is what he asked for. I find it frustrating that nobody has spotted them yet. I'll be out on the water for the next few days. I'll be looking for them. I'll post their whereabouts if I see them. I'm not planning to open a can of whoopass based on an internet posting, just in case that is what anyone here is thinking.
Old 13-12-2013, 10:29   #92

Boat: Tayana 47

WOW!
Old 13-12-2013, 10:48   #93

Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you seen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Wow, She looks like someone you could rent out to haunt a house!
There's a female in this picture?
Old 13-12-2013, 10:48   #94
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

Naah... all your doing then is putting yourself up for prison and losing even more money, family and liberty...
I briefly considered that path last year.. but when I calmed down a bit I figured on a better way to get some recompense and my pound of flesh..
Now everyone's assuming that seizing the boat will render them homeless.. wrong.. especially if they're liable to be deported for overstaying and thus are illegals..
I'm pretty sure I remember the female saying they had another boat in France that she preferred as a live aboard.. therefore impounding the boat in the States would not render them homeless.. they have a home in France they can be deported to..
So much more satisfying in the long run that a brief moment of sadistic pleasure...
Brute strength and ignorance is not often very bright..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 13-12-2013, 10:59   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Now everyone's assuming that seizing the boat will render them homeless.. wrong.. especially if they're liable to be deported for overstaying and thus are illegals..
I'm pretty sure I remember the female saying they had another boat in France that she preferred as a live aboard.. therefore impounding the boat in the States would not render them homeless.. they have a home in France they can be deported to...
That's my view too ... find the boat, go thru legal means to seize it and sell it to settle the debt, and let the scumbags go home ... back to their real home.
Old 13-12-2013, 11:10   #96

Boat: Vancouver 27

Wouldn't want to live on your island

Standing tall and being a proud and happy human does not require the hurting of those that hurt you.
Old 13-12-2013, 11:26   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Chart shows eleven "death spiral" states where more people are on welfare than are employed.

FALSE

Snopes ➥ snopes.com: Death Spiral

FactCheck.org ➥ ‘Death Spiral’ States?

PolitiFact ➥ Chain email says 11 states have more people on welfare than employed | PolitiFact Texas

Perhaps one should check one's facts, prior to publishing drivel.
I'm quite happy to hear it's not true.... although if you read the detail those states are definitely on the downward sprial financially!

Old 13-12-2013, 11:47   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Several posts have been removed. They were either advocating physical violence or responding to the posts that did, as well as personal attacks. Let's bring it down to a calmer level of discussion please.

Coops.
Old 13-12-2013, 16:48   #99

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Several posts have been removed. They were either advocating physical violence or responding to the posts that did, as well as personal attacks. Let's bring it down to a calmer level of discussion please.

Coops.
Good call. Don't know how this post digressed. To the original point, anyone see these clowns in the southeastern us? For moral satisfaction, Pascal should at least be confronted and served papers if nothing else.

If they are indigent, they should be picked up and transport arranged through their embassy and sent home where their own people can look after them. It's aggravating how they are gaming everyone and everything to keep going. It's wrong.
Old 14-12-2013, 05:44   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I know of a few such cases. Although these might be stretching the definition of petty theft, but same ethical principal applies. Some relating to boats far more expensive than $500K. One friend and boat yard owner who got stiffed for the taxes on a major refit on a mega yacht. The tax bill alone was $30K.

Also one friend who completed a major job for a wealthy attorney. When presented with the bill the attorney said "so...sue me".

Life lesson: there are scum bags at every socio economic level.
The difference is it's well worth the trouble to go after a guy with a mega yacht over $30k and odds are the guy has the money. Never said the well off aren't above unscrupulous actions but there are effective ways to deal with it.

Far different scenario from a guy in a derelict boat with little to no cash.
Old 15-12-2013, 05:48   #101
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
The difference is it's well worth the trouble to go after a guy with a mega yacht over $30k and odds are the guy has the money. Never said the well off aren't above unscrupulous actions but there are effective ways to deal with it.

Far different scenario from a guy in a derelict boat with little to no cash.
" Scum bags at every socio economic level" Outdoor magazine had a section about who would tell lies ,cheat, and basicaly rip someone off when it came to a business deal,They wrote that "the well off" were more likely to rip someone off because they felt greed was a positive thing!!
Old 15-12-2013, 06:23   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
" Scum bags at every socio economic level" Outdoor magazine had a section about who would tell lies ,cheat, and basicaly rip someone off when it came to a business deal,They wrote that "the well off" were more likely to rip someone off because they felt greed was a positive thing!!
And how exactly did Outdoor magazine conduct this study? If it's the typical random online survey, I will consider it as such (which isn't much considering their target audience is far from a representative sample).

The other issue is define "rip someone off" for us. Again, I'm not saying their aren't those who are well off who will take advantage of people but we are talking about a legal issue. I believe you are talking about a moral issue. If you are running a business, you don't put yourself in a position where people can take advantage of you legally. As I said before, if you want to help someone who is down and out, you consider it charity even if you put the burden on them to pay it off.
Old 15-12-2013, 06:53   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
And how exactly did Outdoor magazine conduct this study? ...
They were likely just reporting on this study by researchers at University of California and the University of Toronto.

Rich people less ethical, more likely to cheat, study says
That's the finding from researchers at the University of California and the University of Toronto, published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences* of the United States of America.

Rich people less ethical, more likely to cheat, study says | CTV News

* Higher social class predicts increased unethical behavior.; Piff, P., Stancato, D., Côté, S., Mendoza-Denton, R., & Keltner, D.; Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences; Issue: 109; 2012; Pages: 4086-4091.

Here ➥ http://www-2.rotman.utoronto.ca/facb...alBehavior.pdf

Old 15-12-2013, 07:09   #104
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

Its all related to scales of punishment...
If your on the dole and don't declare a days work.. or falsely claim an extra £10/wk you get taken to court, fined, lose your benefits and likely get a 6 month prison sentence.. and possibly lose your home to boot...
If your an MP and scam £30,000/yr in expenses etc.. you get a verbal slap on the wrist then attend Parliament the next day..
Go Figure.. and look to your own country... there's none so blind as those who will not see..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 15-12-2013, 07:16   #105

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
They were likely just reporting on this study by researchers at University of California and the University of Toronto.

Rich people less ethical, more likely to cheat, study says
That's the finding from researchers at the University of California and the University of Toronto, published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences* of the United States of America.

Rich people less ethical, more likely to cheat, study says | CTV News

* Higher social class predicts increased unethical behavior.; Piff, P., Stancato, D., Côté, S., Mendoza-Denton, R., & Keltner, D.; Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences; Issue: 109; 2012; Pages: 4086-4091.

Here ➥ http://www-2.rotman.utoronto.ca/facb...alBehavior.pdf
Then I guess we're all in deep trouble on this forum because even though I'm sure most of us consider ourselves to be middle class or less, a LOT of people consider anyone who can afford a "yacht" to be "RICH!" So, in order to live up to our billing I guess we all ought to be getting together to figure out who we can rip off next, because that's just what the rich, yacht owning class do, according to this "study."
How in the world did this thread about finding 2 particular deadbeats on a sailboat who ripped off a guy turn into a discussion about rich versus poor and who is more dishonest? Why? Are there any sailors out there who would prefer to discuss things at least remotely related to sailing?
Closed Thread

Tags
French, icw, Oriental, pirates, Primadonna