Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2014, 16:54   #301

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: ICW "Pirates". Have you Seen?

George H. Easy?
Old 22-02-2014, 21:06   #302

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

"Don't be so quick to knock CF members... they've bailed a few 'victims' out over the years in one form or another.."

I never made any comment about CF members in general. I did make an observation on the acidity of some comments.

I just find it distasteful to repeatedly kick someone when he is already down.
Old 23-02-2014, 07:06   #303

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestathook View Post
"Don't be so quick to knock CF members... they've bailed a few 'victims' out over the years in one form or another.."

I never made any comment about CF members in general. I did make an observation on the acidity of some comments.

I just find it distasteful to repeatedly kick someone when he is already down.
You make it sound like Pascal and his companion did nothing wrong. That somehow, they were victims of circumstances beyond their control.

They were not.

They lied, cheated and stole AFTER the hand of friendship was offered to them and accepted by them. For people with an intact moral compass, this is unacceptable and should be treated as harshly as possible to avoid similar situations in the future.

And before you go on about how you hope someone doesn't treat me like that, here's the difference; I wouldn't lie, cheat or steal from people who befriended me. In fact, I don't think I could lie, cheat or steal from anyone (even the tax man). I think that this is true for most people. The problem is Pascal and his companion don't seem to have that little voice that says,"This is wrong and you know it." or they chose to ignore it. They have shown no remorse or even an inkling of a willingness to compensate those they took advantage of. In the older days, they would have been tarred and feathered and ran out of town on a rail.

And yes, the air is just fine from this pedestal, thank you very much.
Old 23-02-2014, 07:21   #304

Boat: Island Packet 27

Frank F.... 100% correct. Back in the day they would have been dealt with correctly.
Old 23-02-2014, 08:52   #305

Boat: Skookum 53'

I miss the days of caning and being held in stocks while someone throws rotten vegetables at me. I think Singapore has the right idea.
Old 23-02-2014, 08:52   #306

Of course they did....because the whole works has become weak and politically correct.
Old 23-02-2014, 08:53   #307

World...not works.
Old 23-02-2014, 09:15   #308

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I miss the days of caning and being held in stocks while someone throws rotten vegetables at me. I think Singapore has the right idea.
Actually, if you end up in stocks with bamboo splinters in your ass and tomato purée stuck in your teeth..it's a good indication that the gubbmint has judged and sentenced you.

Vigilantism (moderators note: I'm not advocating!) comes in when our justice system fails to engage and lets a couple of sociopaths free to continue their crime spree.

Again please note: In no way do I advocate violence, tomato throwing, name calling, shaming, keeping score, or shooting dirty looks at thieves. I am completely in favor of giving them all lots of big hugs, lots of love and understanding...and an Obama phone.

I AM however, an advocate of demonizing, shaming, and exiling of all who oppose the feminization and pacification of American males.
Old 23-02-2014, 09:25   #309

Laughing at the Obama phone .... Excellent!
Old 23-02-2014, 09:28   #310

Boat: Various

Ultimately, they are going to be released in the Bahamas. I suspect it's already been done. They will be sent on their way, told to leave Bahamian waters. Then they'll continue to their next destination and look for good hearted people to take advantage of.

But as long as the people minimize their exposure, limiting what they give them, then it's nothing serious. Sometimes it feels better to give to someone you know is probably a free loader than doing nothing. The problem is when one goes beyond what they can reasonably afford to lose. Also, when instead of gifts of food or supplies, one falls for one of the most common financial scams there is.

In the realm of all the problems of the world however, I'm not going to elevate the issue of the Primadonna to the top of my list or one of those that outrages me. If the people of Oriental want to do something about it, then be as generous to the store owner as they were to Primadonna.

As to violence of any form, I see no call whatsoever for violence against a petty manipulator like the owners of Primadonna. And if I'm the Bahamian government I just want them gone. Jailing them just means I have to incur costs housing and feeding them. They're not going to pay a fine as they don't have any money.
Old 23-02-2014, 09:40   #311

You think sometimes it's better to give to someone you know is a freeloader? Really? That's what you think? That's your solution?

That's why we have this problem in our world...our country. If you're a freeloader, you should have to pay the consequences for going without and having nothing, whatever that might be or however harsh the penalties are.
Old 23-02-2014, 09:54   #312

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Ultimately, they are going to be released in the Bahamas. I suspect it's already been done. They will be sent on their way, told to leave Bahamian waters. Then they'll continue to their next destination and look for good hearted people to take advantage of.

As to violence of any form, I see no call whatsoever for violence against a petty manipulator like the owners of Primadonna. And if I'm the Bahamian government I just want them gone. Jailing them just means I have to incur costs housing and feeding them. They're not going to pay a fine as they don't have any money.
Is the sin of violence worse than the sin of the scamming of perhaps dozens more people? Really? What if it were the same dozens of thefts but perpetrated on only one individual..namely you? I'd bet my bottom dollar you'd be first in line with a tomato and a switch. I'm calling bullcrap.
Old 23-02-2014, 10:11   #313

When it comes down to it though, I see nothing good coming out of this in the long run. I've seen the boat many times this summer and If they attempt to make it back across the big pond to their homeland, I believe justice will prevail without anyone laying a hand on them. Feel bad for the dog. Looks cute, and I'm sure he's embarrassed to be with those two.
Old 23-02-2014, 10:28   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaintim1 View Post
You think sometimes it's better to give to someone you know is a freeloader? Really? That's what you think? That's your solution?

That's why we have this problem in our world...our country. If you're a freeloader, you should have to pay the consequences for going without and having nothing, whatever that might be or however harsh the penalties are.
Yes, I do. If I believe someone is truly hungry, even if I know they are a freeloader, I will give them food to eat. Primadonna doesn't represent what is wrong with our society today. They are the same as vagabonds that have existed for centuries. After giving them a meal or two I would have insisted they work for their next one. But I would also have insisted they move on. Probably would have even said, I'll buy you lot's of groceries if you'll just leave.

I also believe in feeding the homeless and taking them into shelters when conditions require. If that makes me an awful person to you then so be it. I can sleep quite well in spite of that. I couldn't sleep if I knew someone was starving because I wanted to prove a point.
Old 23-02-2014, 10:30   #315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaintim1 View Post
When it comes down to it though, I see nothing good coming out of this in the long run. I've seen the boat many times this summer and If they attempt to make it back across the big pond to their homeland, I believe justice will prevail without anyone laying a hand on them. Feel bad for the dog. Looks cute, and I'm sure he's embarrassed to be with those two.
If you honestly hope something horrible happens on their trip across the pond and they die, then I feel very bad for you. If that's your idea of justice then I deplore it. That isn't justice. Death for freeloading.
Closed Thread

Tags
French, icw, Oriental, pirates, Primadonna